• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

First breakfast of the year, on a freezing morning. 

Looks delicious. Happy first new year. Won’t you get another one?  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy New Year! Time to putter in the kichen this morning.  🙂

Waffle with bacon. Not pictured is the coffee and maple syrup.

IMG_5588-waffle-bacon.jpg.1741ff7172b07bf4f4d7e2c7c930335f.jpg

Made a few extra waffles to go in the freezer for easy weekend breakfasts. I prefer to go light on the waffle batter (or get it just right) instead of putting in too much and having to clean up the mess. Did rather well today.

IMG_5591-waffle-stack.jpg.f16454982752a59c64e26ff84d9c2fbc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Where do you source your avocados and do you add seasoning? I used to have  trees and live in avo country so I am curious. I enjoyed learning about this avo guy in NYC  https://ny.eater.com/2018/9/17/17869694/g-de-p-miguel-gonzalez-avocados-restaurants-nyc  (I am a bit of a NYC junkie...)

Edited by heidih (log)

@curls – gorgeous waffles!  I believe that I’m due for a new waffle machine, but I’m waiting for them to come out with one that makes both thick and thin waffles!

@Ann_T – that crust on your quiche is amazing!

All I can offer is our usual Christmas breakfast, which everyone has seen for years! Pillsbury orange Danish tree:

DSCN8980.JPG.20dc177ee8e6216dc8a82ae5f349e29e.JPG

Family tradition.  Silly, but it gets eaten.

Bagels:

DSCN8981.thumb.JPG.609e1e6580cdb2c28016bcf6745fd05b.JPG

@JohnT's (eG) sausage rolls:

DSCN8982.JPG.9e2f4795287e9b43e4e6c404845b388b.JPG

My MIL’s candy cane:

DSCN8988.thumb.JPG.1ae5dc1583c863f9f62091e486af7269.JPG

Mini quiche:

DSCN8989.JPG.7995abfa70c13d2b51a1e5afbfad34eb.JPG

• Like 13

@JoNorvelleWalker  Good looking paella. A local well known chef was selling it at farmers market a while back. Made on site. He is Basque but with international training. Now i need to find some.  Your clams look almost cartoonishly (in a good way) happy!

46 minutes ago, heidih said:

@JoNorvelleWalker  Good looking paella. A local well known chef was selling it at farmers market a while back. Made on site. He is Basque but with international training. Now i need to find some.  Your clams look almost cartoonishly (in a good way) happy!

I sort of meant to post the paella in the dinner thread but since it was around 4:00 am and after a liter of MR, I suppose breakfast was equally appropriate.

There is a story to the clams.  I wanted littleneck and amazon Prime Now had them, but the unit of measure was a "1".  Not "each" (as it was for cherrystone).  I took a chance and ordered.  As it turns out "1" means 1 very large amount of clams.  About five dozen.

I am 1 person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1BA474E4-DB7F-4415-BFB1-5E4F70AEB024.thumb.jpeg.3d9a1ea97efa91503c9fec22a49889e3.jpeg

Ham and egg onigirazu.

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've noticed something very interesting about the meal threads—all of them!

I can scan the photos—without looking at who posted them—and almost ALWAYS guess who the poster it!!!

Keep up the good work folks!

You make me crave stuff—you enablers! LOL xD

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On 12/31/2018 at 8:27 PM, liuzhou said:

First breakfast of the year, on a freezing morning. 三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tún) Home made three taste wontons (pork, shrimp and shiitake) in a spicy broth.

Photos taken through a filter of steam.

ht2.thumb.jpg.a19348ce3d1552266c0ad9fa1c580c67.jpg

ht1.thumb.jpg.5db82bc64b770ec8fa8fc92cce8eb25d.jpg

Are t hey really blue?

Food shouldn't be blue

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I've noticed something very interesting about the meal threads—all of them!

I can scan the photos—without looking at who posted them—and almost ALWAYS guess who the poster it!!!

Keep up the good work folks!

You make me crave stuff—you enablers! LOL xD

So true.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Completely inspired by @Anna N's incredible looking breakfasts--and lunches and dinners.  I decided to get off my butt and make some sushi rice this morning so I could attempt a spam, egg and lettuce onigirazu (or is it onigirazo?--auto correct changes the "u" to an "o").  Mine is a very poor example compared to Anna's--I need more practice for sure.  And I might invest in a mold.  And a special thanks to my spam fairy for supplying me with single serving spam packets!  

IMG_5761.JPG.1693bd0399321fb3c8a45634596b9beb.JPG

IMG_5762.jpg.5e4945efd3b2dcf03e300ee3a559a993.jpg

These are goooooood.  Too good, actually.  I was going to save half for Ronnie for when he gets home from hunting.....I'm not sure that is the plan now......

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

And I might invest in a mold.  And a special thanks to my spam fairy for supplying me with single serving spam packets!  

A mould makes a lot of sense. I have never seen single serving Spam packets. What an idea. However, I slice up my can of Spam and freeze whatever I’m not using between sheets of deli paper. Works very well. I just throw them into a nonstick pan when I want to use them and give them a bit of colour.  

P.S.   I didn’t post photos of my first ones. Yours looks incredibly good compared to those. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog