• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@caroled just suggested that.  I might try that since I was ok with the taste.  But, you know, bacon actually exists.  Do I really need to work that hard to eat something that I'm "ok with the taste" about? LOL

I don't consider Spam something I'd plan ahead to have for dinner.    More of a "What is there?   Nothing?    What's lurking toward the back of the emergency shelf?   Ahhh, Spam."     I agree with Kim's description of its textural aspects.    It's personal taste.    I kind of like the contrast of crispy/melt in your mouth interior.    But can see how others might not see it in those terms.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

😳

Long pig.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

as usual , Im so ignorant.

Ive never had , as far as I can tell and remember 

LongPig.   what cut should I look for ?

Loin I'd say

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Inspired in part by @rotuts's curry chicken salad breakfast from yesterday's post, I used some leftover roasted chicken, curry spices, onion, celery and TJ's Mango Ginger Chutney to make some of my own.

IMG_1105.thumb.jpg.6429f2d8d474fefdec26b397982df780.jpg

I went light on the chutney and ended up dolloping more on top.   I would have liked some crisp, tart apple in here but it still hit the spot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@blue_dolphin

love your eversion , Ex celery .   at least you didn't add a GBP

love the idea of chutney for spice and some sweetness

id have considered adding some shredded carrot for crispness , which is one of my Big TakeAways from TJ's pred.

then I have to go out and get a carrot !

isn't eG the Best for Outstanding Ideas . or what !

the CurryChickenSalad might be a nice place for some firm , Ripe Avocado Chunks ?

And They're Off !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Nuts , fresh ?

I use TJ's now , but my sister used to send me

Pecans form Central Tx in the Fall

the Pecans still remembered their Trees

TJ;s seems to have the freshest nuts , easily obtainable for me

Lightly toasted Pecans ?

Im not sure Id toast a cashew 

but what do I know

thats been documented

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Nuts , fresh ?

I used walnuts, lightly toasted, because they were handy. Pecans would be nice but I’m hoarding a small bag because they are so $$.

I meant to buy cashews per your post but I forgot. They are awfully tempting to nibble on, too!

@blue_dolphin

I completely agree with you

Nuts whoosh be fresh 

and I think TJ's takes care of this.

Pick Your Nut !

but please make sure it hasn't sit on the Shelf 

for 2 years !

and re : cashews  :   good to inhale !

I thank the Gods of TJ;s

they do not carry , at a reasonable price 

i.e.  : at my price point 

Macadamia Nuts !

• Haha 1

It was a 2 bruschetta breakfast with a few peas from a friends garden and some pan fried smoked pork tongue to round things out. Avocado toasts, one with homemade marinated mushrooms and Swiss and the other with the more traditional tomato / basil / garlic. Not real happy with the photos, but my good camera is still in the car from our last excursion.

HC

P7240454.thumb.JPG.5818624cfda94325bea063205bdb54dd.JPGP7240457.thumb.JPG.6c8fce3025aa0dff7a6cac601e602dfe.JPG

• Like 4

On 7/20/2019 at 10:44 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Interesting that your 8" cast iron skillet with handle fit into the CCSO.     

@Margaret Pilgrim, My 10" cast iron skillet that measures 15 1/2" with handle also fits into the CSO.  Has to be on the bottom rack though.

Baked this morning.

923894606_ButtermilkCheddarBiscuitsJuly25th2019.thumb.jpg.65c0ce093af4545ebe3e1b8ef20c8db5.jpg

1285205271_ButtermilkCheddarBiscuitsJuly25th20191.thumb.jpg.c70ec2887a1caf46c7c0478b779a96d0.jpg

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

today's breakfast was sustenance...Bob's Red Mill multigrain hot cereal with some protein powder mixed in. Rather concrete-like. A small mango (Altufo?) that was pretty good. Thankfully there is some of that mozz leftover in my office fridge so I can look forward to Friday's breakfast.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde