• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2019

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, Smithy said:

What makes the eggs Chinese-style

I think you got the answer from @liuzhou but if I had answered you myself I would’ve simply said because I ate them with chopsticks. 😂

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, Anna N said:

Ha ha.  Thank you but you are giving me credit where I do not deserve it at the moment. I’m just using the same little dish over and over again so I don’t accumulate dishes that I have to deal with!  Serve, eat, wash, repeat.  

Good habit.   There was a family joke that one aunt could make a cup of tea and dirty half the pots, dishes and silverware in the kitchen while her sister could put on a dinner for 10 and have one tablespoon dirty at the end of service.    I soon learned which to emulate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, Ann_T said:

This was suppose to be tonight's dinner, but I made it for breakfast instead.

421960889_PorkSchnitzelwithaMushroomSauceAugust19th20191.thumb.jpg.01760f5b31da32f746aac7a54c0dd38b.jpg

Pork Tenderloin Schnitzel

1297704143_PorkSchnitzelwithaMushroomSauceAugust19th20192.thumb.jpg.6159c230c6dbf1680dfff11ff27fcbb0.jpg

with mushroom gravy.

Oh yum! My kind of breakfast!! But it would always be leftovers for me. I wouldn't cook it in the morning. Actually, I'm a night owl so often my first meal of the day is after noon. But it would still be leftovers. 

• Like 1

10BEC8EB-4CA7-4672-8C1F-38BA2FC124A6.thumb.jpeg.c5f65c5330f3ff701201d3abe3ba4537.jpeg

Spam onigirazu with hot mango chutney. More breakfast than I usually want or need but I know what my day holds ahead and this is likely to be the only thing I’m able to eat until this evening.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

10BEC8EB-4CA7-4672-8C1F-38BA2FC124A6.thumb.jpeg.c5f65c5330f3ff701201d3abe3ba4537.jpeg

Spam onigirazu with hot mango chutney. More breakfast than I usually want or need but I know what my day holds ahead and this is likely to be the only thing I’m able to eat until this evening.  

Eating a big breakfast, then eating nothing until dinner, would probably be a good way for me to lose weight...but I'd likely lose as many friends as pounds!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Eating a big breakfast, then eating nothing until dinner, would probably be a good way for me to lose weight...but I'd likely lose as many friends as pounds!

Don’t do it!  True friends will never be able to get enough of you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Dahi Toast (Spiced Yogurt Sandwich) from Indian-ish by Priya Krishna with Ritu Krishna.  Tomato chutney on the side.  Surprisingly good.

1702807059_IMG_1260(1).thumb.jpg.c5a1a09badb7fde43a7e5b97ff1954f0.jpg

During my AM walk yesterday, I listened to Priya and her mother Ritu making these toasted sandwiches on a Splendid Table podcast episode from back in May.  I couldn't quite imagine a grilled yogurt sandwich being anywhere near as tasty as grilled cheese so of course I needed to try it.  Made a quick trip to the Indian grocery store for curry leaves and a stop at Sprouts for a loaf of sourdough and I was ready to go.  I subbed in a hot red chili for the green chili called for and like the color.  I'll have to try again when I have the recommend condiments of ketchup and cilantro chutney.  

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

00FBAEB1-2ED0-4BB0-AAC5-99E07C0D1967.thumb.jpeg.445a65dfef4d2e4a0a04b184f246358d.jpeg

Poached egg on rye toast, three small tomatoes and a bowl of salt. (For those who are horrified by the salt, I saw my doc yesterday and I am borderline salt deficient — so there!)

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

00FBAEB1-2ED0-4BB0-AAC5-99E07C0D1967.thumb.jpeg.445a65dfef4d2e4a0a04b184f246358d.jpeg

Poached egg on rye toast, three small tomatoes and a bowl of salt. (For those who are horrified by the salt, I saw my doc yesterday and I am borderline salt deficient — so there!)

That'll teach that hospital to only serve you pepper!

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am borderline salt deficient

Hardly surprising after your saline deprived recent involuntary trip away from home.

Last time I fell into the quacks' hands, they put me on an unnecessary saline drip, while failing to salt anything edible. My requests for intravenous Guinness and seasoned food fell on deaf ears!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

48 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

My requests for intravenous Guinness and seasoned food fell on deaf ears!

They can be soooo unreasonable...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6B2E1A29-ED1A-4340-88CD-01104377128E.thumb.jpeg.9b3a5193dc95ddc47f2249005a2350cb.jpeg

Leftover grilled vegetables from lunch. I  reheated them and served them on some  rye  toast. I thought I had discarded all the nasty pieces of eggplant but apparently not. I ate around them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog