• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

No pics, but last night we had friends over for dinner.  I made tri-tip SV and torch-seared, roasted red potatoes, salad and dairy-free chocolate mousse.  Our friends like their meat medium-well, while we like ours rare to medium-rare.  It was the first time I used two SV circulators at the same time: my Sous Vide Supreme and the new Joule.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

22 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@shain, would you mind sharing your cornbread recipe? I am still experimenting and try to collect as many variations as possible

Are you looking for a southern style or a sweeter, cakier version? I've adjusted my corn muffin recipe to be slightly leaner and less sweet (though it wasn't too sweet to begin with). I can happily give you the muffin recipe, which can be baked as a bread, but I still need to perform some adjustments to be happy with the leaner version.

~ Shai N.

49 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

@shain I'd prefer a less sweet version, as I love to eat it with soups and stews

Yes, I figured. This is what I aimed for in this variation, but I think I should have added some more butter to it.

~ Shai N.

@Kerry Bealsent  me a link to this recipe and I have made it twice.  I am not a fan of boneless skinless chicken breasts but this recipe makes them more than tolerable.  

image.jpeg.ae9b3e0b1f7a5ea1249dca9f95ef2724.jpeg

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

early dinner or very late lunch :

cbs.thumb.jpg.91012c675c674ac18e295f9951af787e.jpg

a little cabbage/carrot/potato  nuked

SD bread  ( TJ's )  CB reheated from fz in the Anova bath   spinach  and most importantly some melted swiss micro's to melt

the CB and Swiss were warm

heaven  

melted cheese makes this sort of sandwich      I forgot to get some sauerkraut   

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 12

I had a pastrami and provolone sandwich on purchased but very good bread and a Caesar salad.

I was having a craving for strawberry shortcake, but had no working oven and no milk, cream or whipped cream. While my strawberries were macerating in sugar, I preheated a heavy aluminum skillet and the heavy aluminum lid to my Dutch oven (which also fits the skillet perfectly) and mixed up enough slightly sweetened biscuit dough for a single shortcake with store brand coffee creamer powder and water. I cooked the shortcake in the skillet in butter for about five minutes per side. In spite of my lack of proper ingredients and a working oven, I was able to pull off a respectable shortcake. Whipped cream would have been nice, but this was good anyway. This was the first time I have tried biscuits or shortcake on the stove top, and it works!

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

This something I haven't done for a very long time. They where very nice and I will try to make them more often.

This batch was Teriyaki chicken and before was with tuna.

IMG_20170324_195258.thumb.jpg.6655a58145290676b6b5b3d8111d1bef.jpg

• Like 13

Dinner out with my husband at one of our local favorites ~ Michiru in Webster.

IMG_0351.thumb.JPG.c397154df8e2942b1df5df3c03cdb22c.JPG

C2 ROLL ~ Filet mignon, fried crawfish, avocado, steak sauce, spicy mayo, garlic chips   

and 

BEEF SZECHUAN STYLE.~ Crispy shredded beef in spicy tangy sauce

IMG_0352.thumb.JPG.229deb2991050707f1ad1f6c2236c1b9.JPG

• Like 10

I have not eaten this dish for abt 25 years. It just did not come into my mind. somewhen this week I woke up and knew, that I have to make that: smoked pork tongue, mash from split peas, pickled horseradish. It was truly comforting.

IMG_2824.JPG

Edited by ninagluck (log)
  • Like 7