• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

Moderator note: The original Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods topic became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it up; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)]

gallery_6263_35_41958.jpg

And, no, it's not what you wash out of a breast fed baby's diaper (with chunks added) as one of the kid suggested.

Edited by Mjx
Moderator note added (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And, no, it's not what you wash out of a  breast fed baby's diaper (with chunks added) as one of the kid suggested.

I find that statement absolutely horrible.. And appreciate what an interesting creative mind it came from.. :biggrin:

This is something I made a while back - tasted great, but doesn't look too good.  It's essentially coq au vin, made with riesling.  Yummy, but all one color and photographed REALLY badly.

gallery_26775_1623_1075328.jpg

Uh ... looks to me like something I make called 'Burned Dead Bird', executed with chicken thighs and whatever wine or beer I happen to have at hand.

I have not yet had to blindfold any diners, but it doesn't look all that appealing. Fortunately my diners are adventurous, and the way it looks is no deterrent :-)

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

ooh, I am going to love this thread!!

I have so much to contribute! :hmmm:  :laugh:

[snip]

another miso soup, this time with sweet potato and niboshi (dried baby sardines), it really tastes good but it just looks like dead fish floating in the soup...

gallery_6134_91_1103158806.jpg

I think I will stop for now...

Um ... it IS dead fish floating in the soup ..?

lol!

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"

And, no, it's not what you wash out of a  breast fed baby's diaper (with chunks added) as one of the kid suggested.

Looks like a Thai meat curry, but I can't identify the starch. I feel pretty certain it tasted good.

Michael aka "Pan"

You know, guys, I'm a Pastry and Baking regular, and I pop on over here to see what the rest of the world is up to, you know, just a little rest from six tiered wedding cakes and the best dusting agent to dry and soften the pillowy marshmallows, and just how do I cut my pates des fruits into perfect squares and the best method to candy a ginger slice and here you are . . .

Reaching dizzying culinary heights of humorous indulgence.

I commend you. I raise my glass of simple syrup to you. Long may you wave.

• Like 2

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

It's 2:13 in the morning for me and I really should have gone to bed 2 hours and 13 minutes ago but I have been unable to. The last 22 pages have been too fascinating..

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

And, yes, the "hits keep on coming." There will be no more braises or stew-ey things from me for a while. I swear that if I were a sports fan, I've have sworn I've have a hat trick, a triple, or something.

gallery_6263_35_41726.jpg

Really, I'm a good cook! It's just a tough adjustment from grilling and eating on the deck with nothing but fresh veg to these days when the snow is acctuall accumulating :angry: .

gallery_6263_35_41726.jpg

Really, I'm a good cook!  It's just a tough adjustment from grilling and eating on the deck with nothing but fresh veg to these days when the snow is acctuall accumulating  :angry: .

I'll give you the other two, but that looks delicious. Some kind of beef stroganoff thing with mushrooms and sour cream sauce? Or just beef gravy?

I know about the transition - we're in the time of year where it could be snowing or it could be 70F out, so I don't know if I'm going to be using the grill for dinner. I'm winging it a lot of nights.

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Marcia, yes, it was a stroganoff (venison). I'm already missing the clean crisp foods of summer, and I have a really hard time moving into the more muddled foods of fall. I'm out of practice. I miss my corn and tomatoes and simple grilled meat, eaten on the deck in daylight. I think I'm discovering that most of the time, I like my food tastes to be separate.

Oh yeah, hell yeah -- I'm with Marcia on that one; it looks delicious. But yeah, it would probably -- in a completely subjective way -- look and taste better, the colder the weather might happen to be on that particular day...

I'll set the record straight:

the first (the baby poop one) was a mussaman curry with venison, potatoes and peanuts. It was excellent.

The second was leftover coq au vin. It was good, but the leftover nature of it left if tasting a bit "dense."

The third was venison stroganoff. It was way, way yummy.

Yes, I'm seeking to get rid of the remainer of venison I have in the freezer because I'm expecting two more this fall. I can't believe how much of this I've run through this year, and how well it takes to Thai and Asian foods.

And, tonight's dinner was pretty, light and clean tasting!

I'll set the record straight:

the first (the baby poop one) was a mussaman curry with venison, potatoes and peanuts.  It was excellent.

The second was leftover coq au vin.  It was good, but the leftover nature of it left if tasting a bit "dense."

The third was venison stroganoff.  It was way, way yummy. 

Yes, I'm seeking to get rid of the remainer of venison I have in the freezer because I'm expecting two more this fall.  I can't believe how much of this I've run through this year, and how well it takes to Thai and Asian foods.

And, tonight's dinner was pretty, light and clean tasting!

don't know why, but somehow knowing it was venison made it far, far more appealing visually.

• 1 month later...

This may not look like "yuck" but since four of the five of us didn't like a key component, it was yucky. Oh well, the trash man comes tomorrow:

gallery_6263_35_86890.jpg

Italian sausages with grapes. Since most of us don't like raisins (I hate them, as do my kids) and since roasted grapes aren't far off from raisins, big yuck. We filled up on the rest of the Halloween candy.

The sausages would have been great with kraut, grilled on buns with mustard, whatever, but with those raisiny grapes...shudder.

The kids also thought it looked like a science experiment, but at least I made it understood that I tried something new, and if you don't like it, tell me, so I don't repeat it.

Edited to add: weren't the grapes sort of meld into something that didn't look like, well, shriveled little balls of something?

When technology fails....

gallery_15557_1141_56.jpg

This is what happens to a nice little roast beef when one's digital thermometer, set to go off at 130F, fails to go off, and when one notices that gee, that roast's been in the oven an awful long time for such a little roast, one notices that the roast's internal temperature is a toasty 181F. Turns out the thermometer's alarm somehow got turned off.

And to add injury to insult, I burned myself on the thermometer's probe.

Nights like this are why restaurants were invented.

Silver lining: the drippings were terrific so I deglazed the pan with red wine and set them aside for a sauce to be created later. And once the beef was cooled completely, I sliced it very very thinly, and it seems to be ok for sandwiches, if a little on the dry/tough side. So it wasn't a total loss.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

out of focus steak and sloppy plate tasted great balsamic reduction & all, left back creamed broccli, rite back baked tator

gallery_48866_3819_682076.jpg

Holy shit! That is fucking horrible, man! I've spent several minutes just laughing at that picture. That is really nasty. I still think that there are a couple of other dishes in this thread (including one of my own) that look miraculously nasty -- but this one is special. I mean, it looks like it was intentionally made up to look nasty. Sauce splattered all over the place, on what looks like a paper plate -- hell, it looks like it was throw together by an angry drunk.

Or a zombie.

Yeah, that's it -- if Paula Deen went to Haiti and got bitten by a zombie, this is what she'd cook. She'd get a bottle of rum, get smashed out of her zombie brains, and cook that thing for someone she was really angry with.