• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Haven't had much time (or money) to rebuild the chocolate mold collection. But, I did manage a few items for orders this week.  The swirly ones are Bailey's. The other two are dark chocolate-sea salt caramel, and MC sea salt caramel.  I've got 2 of the grandkids here now 'helping Grammie" - mainly conducting taste testing and eliminating all evidence of rejects.:P

IMG_1495.JPG

What previous molds will you replace, and which new ones do you hope to add?

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

What previous molds will you replace, and which new ones do you hope to add?

There were so many, I don't know where to start!  (I had over 400 at the time of the fire.)   The three-dimensional bunnies, eggs, lambs, snowmen, high-heeled shoes. are near the tops of the list.  Then there were the lips, and several different heart-shaped bon-bon molds. I think those came from NY Cake or BakeDeco/Kerekes.- or both.   I know there was a Choco-flex, and a 3pc magnetic polycarbonate for shells, and the magnetic molds for use with transfer sheets. Not sure I want to replace that 3 pc for shells. That was a bit of pain to use.   There were somewhere around 150 of the less expensive poly molds that I had accumulated when I lived the Baker's Nook---not going to replace all those except for a select few. The lambs and the fish on lollipop sticks were favorites. 

Its so hard to go back and think through everything that was lost, after accumulating them over 20+ years.  Its working out okay for now, since I'm not in full swing. I will dos likely add more dome molds, since those seems to be popular with folks. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@ChocoMom I have a ton of molds that I just don't use anymore if you're interested I'd be more than happy to give them away to someone who would use them. I have the cheap $2 molds and a bunch of polycarbonate molds - the majority of them are probably 3-10 years old. I don't do half what I used to and I'm running out of room. If you're interested let me know and I can figure out a way to mail them to you. I have a few lollipop molds but alot of flowers, seashells, bonbon types, some magnetic molds, Christmas and Easter, etc.

Ruth

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Been bonbon-ing lately 

these were for a wine tasting/fundraiser

cherry-almond, salty caramel, and lemon

IMG_6313.thumb.JPG.ca04d08a9823ce33aa44c28092f66194.JPG

IMG_6312.thumb.JPG.dbcb7f3801e3d90e7f8109adf6ee3df9.JPG

IMG_6314.thumb.JPG.46101c6e3fde54a0d21ee4cf57342e4c.JPG

Whipped these out today to have something special for moms at opening day of the farmers market tomorrow. Same old salty caramel but gold on gold in tall domes. 

IMG_6318.thumb.JPG.94f9c8f0760651ee5209bc761a488d8f.JPG

• Like 10

On 06.05.2017 at 11:06 AM, pastrygirl said:

Been bonbon-ing lately 

Whipped these out today to have something special for moms at opening day of the farmers market tomorrow. Same old salty caramel but gold on gold in tall domes. 

what is the mold you use for cherry-almond?

Bonbons for Mother's Day / Sous Vide Cocoa Butter experiment. The sous vide method worked perfectly! The only trouble I had was with the Volcano mold. I think it might have been the filling....

I did the following flavors:

Margarita

Strawberries + Cream

Dulce de Leche + Coffee

Bananas Foster

Sea Salt Caramel

Pomegranate

Earl Grey

2017-05-12-11-29-21.jpg

2017-05-12-11-29-32.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/5/2017 at 11:06 PM, pastrygirl said:

Been bonbon-ing lately 

@pastrygirl Beautiful bonbons! Decoration questions for you:

1. How did you do the green and yellow decoration?

2. On the sphere mold, did you finger paint the swipe of yellow? Or did you use a brush?

3. Any recommendation or tips on using brushes? I'm just getting into colored cocoa butter decorations.

Edited by Daniel D (log)

36 minutes ago, Daniel D said:

@pastrygirl Beautiful bonbons! Decoration questions for you:

1. How did you do the green and yellow decoration?

2. On the sphere mold, did you finger paint the swipe of yellow? Or did you use a brush?

3. Any recommendation or tips on using brushes? I'm just getting into colored cocoa butter decorations.

Thanks!

The yellow & green were mixed with a little white chocolate and just dripped/flung from a spoon. 

Yes, the yellow on the hemisphere was (gloved) finger-painted.

I do have a little cheap set of brushes that I use sometimes.  The trouble with brushes is that the cocoa butter quickly cools and forms thick chunks in the bristles.  It helps to keep them on a heating pad and wipe out the bristles every now and then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Getting ready for the workshop next week - made a caramel and a bonbon filing with a secret ingredient. Bonbon will be called 'Rum and Blaisin'. Guesses?

I know! I know! But I'm not telling.  :)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Habanero rum raisin? :D I feel like I'm probably taking the name too literally with that guess.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

18 minutes ago, Bentley said:

@pastrygirl  What is the reason for mixing the colored cocoa butter with white chocolate vs just splattering the CCB by itself?

To extend it and make it thicker.  The colors are expensive - $40+/lb, way more than chocolate.  If you're airbrushing, there's more limit to how thick you can work with, but for finger-painting and Jackson Pollock-ing I like it with a little substance.  This may be a quirk limited to me :unsure:

IMG_4814.thumb.JPG.e119f08c3684acb9009367d048e29374.JPG

Well here they are - I'm not sure I like them - the ganache split so to rescue it I added more rum! Pretty boosy!

Edited by Kerry Beal
Edited to hide a substandard decorating job that was only apparent on my laptop (log)
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_4814.thumb.JPG.e119f08c3684acb9009367d048e29374.JPG

Well here they are - I'm not sure I like them - the ganache split so to rescue it I added more rum! Pretty boosy!

Wowee. Those are beautiful.  Look at that shine

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So pretty. Still not sure what to guess they are. I was going to say rum banana raisin but I couldn't make that work with the "L" in "blaisin'".

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 5/12/2017 at 6:47 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Getting ready for the workshop next week - made a caramel and a bonbon filing with a secret ingredient. Bonbon will be called 'Rum and Blaisin'. Guesses?

Are they legal to consume in only some states in the US?

• Like 1

Patty

2 hours ago, patris said:

Are they legal to consume in only some states in the US?

Nope - legal in all 52 (or 50 - depends what you learned in school). And in Canada.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, patris said:

Then I'm stumped!

Bernie ( @christysconfections) was over this am - he enjoyed the excessive rum but was unable to identify the rum soaked 'blaisins'. Hint - 'bl' 1st 2 letters.

24 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Bernie ( @christysconfections) was over this am - he enjoyed the excessive rum but was unable to identify the rum soaked 'blaisins'. Hint - 'bl' 1st 2 letters.

Dried black cherries? Black currants? Blackberries?

Patty