• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

Yikes !

I looked over the cover for the GSC :

I plan to make something that's similar  :

SV the CkBr , chill , freeze

make the Orzo component via the

FaataPasta 

https://fastapasta.com

but the FP did not have the Orzo times on the sheet that comes w the FP

its on their web site and has a lot more cooking times than the insert :

58cedac554f31_OrzoFastapasta.jpg.173302f0d2dc36129db8cfe7e14e94ff.jpg

all Im pointing out now is that the TJ's ' box ' says :

serves 3  

served one fine Id say.

P.S. ;  re : FastaPasta  

this works very well .  but there are some issues if you have not used one yet :

when done  the FP is vary hot , and likely above your oven in your Micro.

the lid does not snap on  so be very careful removing it from your  Micro

it helps to put a large plate under the FP  ;  as the unit overflows

and the liquid on that plate under it has a lot of Pasta-ish water on it which you might use as 

added water to you pasta

don't have  a FP yet ?

there is a nice long thread somewhere on eG.

Edited by rotuts (log)

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

<snip>

don't have  a FP yet ?

there is a nice long thread somewhere on eG.

To see the discussion about the Fasta Pasta microwave pasta cooker, please go here.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Yesterday, I broke a longstanding rule and went to Trader Joe's when I was hungry.  They seem to be having a bit of a coffee fest and I brought home two new-to-me cookies:  Mocha Joe-Joe's and Coffee Toffee Shortbread Cookies.  I managed to put them away in the cupboard and eat my planned lunch but I tried one of each with a cup of coffee today.  

IMG_4691.thumb.jpg.119bd546b1054d85ab81c0b288835905.jpg

The Coffee Toffee Shortbreads are $2.99 for a box of 12 cookies.  180 calories/3 cookies. The shortbread cookie portion has some crunch from both crushed toffee and ground coffee beans. The bottom is dipped and the top drizzled with chocolate. Very nice.  The small box limits the damage one can do.

The Mocha Joe-Joe's (product of Canada) are another flavor of the TJ's Oreo knock-off.  $2.99 for a box of ~ 22 cookies.  150 calories/2 cookies. There are bits of ground coffee beans in the "creme" filling, they seem less sweet than a standard Oreo and the coffee/mocha flavor does come through.  Maybe that's because I was washing it down with a mug of black coffee.  I need to conduct another test and take the cookies apart to taste the cookie separately from the filling.  That should be done with a glass of cold milk and include a dunk test.  I haven't scheduled it yet.  I'll report back if I remember.

When I got home from TJ's,  I found an email advert from them with more coffee items.  Good thing I didn't see some of these. I don't have a huge sweet tooth but I have a certain weakness for coffee and mocha flavors.   I'm pretty sure the Vietnamese Coffee Caramels and/or the Coffee Cocoa Batons would have come home with me as well.

• Like 5

@blue_dolphin

I think we were sisters in another life. I am a sucker for anything coffee flavoured and I'm awfully glad I live a very long way from the nearest Trader Joe's.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin 

I do share your concerns of going to Tj's  Hungry

always bad at any Eartary-Mart

consider their   "" try this bar ""

under this circumstances.

If it good , they have given me more than one sample 

no worries

if its bad ,  consider taking it back 

money-mouth.gif.823fd208ba55104f15ce00d2eaade768.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

I think we were sisters in another life. I am a sucker for anything coffee flavoured and I'm awfully glad I live a very long way from the nearest Trader Joe's.

I'm willing to bet the cookie factory we are going to tomorrow makes those Mocha Jo-jo's .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm willing to bet the cookie factory we are going to tomorrow makes those Mocha Jo-jo's .

Damn. You feed my very worst habits!  

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Another one from TJ's coffee fest - Vietnamese coffee-flavored caramels.  Very nice.  These are fairly soft, not tooth-filling pullers.

IMG_4721.thumb.jpg.122fb5056386772aa5869e0c59df43d6.jpg

Edited to add:  I'm not sure how I resisted the coffee-glazed cashews, but I managed.   Also coffee-glazed almonds.  Oh my!

Edited by blue_dolphin
because the nuts are glazed, not crusted (log)
  • Like 3

On March 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Anna N said:

Damn. You feed my very worst habits!  

And she did!   I did not even get out of the car at the cookie outlet and yet I find myself with a box of mocha Joe-Joe's.  As if I need even one extra calorie!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

And she did!   I did not even get out of the car at the cookie outlet and yet I find myself with a box of mocha Joe-Joe's.  As if I need even one extra calorie!

What can I say - I'm an enabler!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, palo said:

I've been to Voortman's, but they had nothing as exotic.

p

Indeed - Voortman's is right in Burlington - good for certain cookies but we discovered that a lot of them don't lend themselves to dipping. The wafer cookies delaminate when you dip them - making for a very unattractive appearance.

I have completed part II of my QC assessment on the Mocha Joe Joe's.  Without the black coffee, the icing in the middle is awfully sweet. No more than your average Oreo, but still quite sweet. But I did eat both of the cookies on my plate and I rank them right up there with the Candy Cane Joe Joe's at the top of the Oreo-types I've tried.

58d99836ec57d_IMG_4743(1).thumb.jpg.505556260d782bc58400de1d3e1cbc1e.jpg

Now that I've consumed 3 cookies (OK, 2.75, I didn't need that last bite, after the milk was gone!)  I'm ready to let the rest go. 

• Like 4

image.jpeg.d7cd9df34e180d867189a8855409278a.jpeg

As I flattened the box prior to putting it into the recycle bin I noticed that it did indeed say that it was a Trader Joe's product.   I was not expecting that.   After all this is Canada.   I thought they would be generic.  

I did enjoy them but I need them like I need another hole in the head.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a History re: M.P.'s

Id never heard of them , then a Mississippi was made at home , and Wow.  it closely correlated w my first Cuisinart , a gift.

in the low '80's if not ' 80 itself.

I made a zillion of all types   different cookie shells  premium ice-cream of all types and home made fudge or butterscotch  ' drizzle '

Mint ChocChip was my favorite   w a slug of creme-de-mint on the top

the easiest thing to make one you can process those cookies.

TJ's is a decent version.  you can add to it.

think of the consequences if TJ's made them in packs of 6 - 8 smaller individually sealed Fz Pies !

mind boggling.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Gyro slices.  They were sampling them the other day.  I did not buy them.   I've stopped myself from impulse buying their samplings.  Used in conjunction with tzatziki sauce, the makings of a Greek salad and some naan...It would be an easy dinner.  Tj's uses beef with a little bit of lamb in their Gyro meat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

all this meal kit stuff got me thinking this AM at Tj's

Why not put together my own Kit ?

591c61b29e826_FoodKTjs.thumb.jpg.9d41b54abdc71054a56197698a23d1df.jpg

it's prep would feature my WorldClass knife skills , however briefly.

everything is from TraderJoe's   except the free tabasco.

I have some TJ's  GreenDragon sauce in the refrig which I forgot to include.

I have high hopes for the GreenCk Enchiladas.

no good TexMex near me.  there is an excellent carnita burrito place , but they don't have carnitas every day.

• Like 2

Something new at Trader Joe's:

"Trader Joe's has a new cauliflower pizza crust and we're obsessed"

...Introducing, Trader Joe's Cauliflower Pizza Crust. It's pre-made and frozen which means you can always have it on hand for a quick and easy dinner.

Needless to say, people are freaking out over this new product. Shoppers began noticing the frozen cauliflower crust in stores last weekend and many have already taken to Instagram to share how much they love it.

One user described it as a mix between a flatbread and a corn tortilla, adding that it's definitely worth trying.

Has anyone seen it in their nearby TJ's?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver