• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

@jmacnaughtan

Thanks for confirming that my memory is not completely shot. I looked at these a couple of days ago and remembered eating them.   Then I questioned my memory. But apparently it's not so bad.:)

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

@jmacnaughtan

Thanks for confirming that my memory is not completely shot. I looked at these a couple of days ago and remembered eating them.   Then I questioned my memory. But apparently it's not so bad.:)

I've seen them somewhere recently - can't recall if it's a trade show or bulk store.

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Wow.  Those bring back memories.  Can you even still buy them?

You sure can here in Australia... I just made it a little bit easier ;) Getting lots of people commenting on them so hopefully they're a hit!

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

@jmacnaughtan

They remind me of Sno-Caps candy, except in color.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've seen them somewhere recently - can't recall if it's a trade show or bulk store.

Bulk Barn often has them, though they may come and go with the seasons. I've seen 'em there but they aren't a particular favorite of mine, so I don't keep track of what time of the year it is. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, jmacnaughtan said:

Just don't forget to do them in white chocolate, too ;)

heh, yes! I just didn't have any white chocolate tempered up on the weekend :)

A special order for a conference out of state - shipping chocolates at 32C temperatures is fraught with problems :/

• Like 7

IMG_6103.thumb.JPG.51e68adbacf6f3f5cae22bacc9ac34a5.JPG

Today I tried a new (to me) technique I saw on Instagram - the yellow splatter was done by dripping the cocoa butter from the bottle and using the airbrush to blow it at the mold. Effective and you don't have to clean the airbrush :)

• Like 11

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Today I tried a new (to me) technique I saw on Instagram - the yellow splatter was done by dripping the cocoa butter from the bottle and using the airbrush to blow it at the mold. Effective and you don't have to clean the airbrush :)

WOW - that looks amazing...definitely going to try that idea! One question though....how did you get the clean stripes? Did you lay acetate in teh mould and then spray...or spray and then wipe the stripe in? Or option C...?

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

18 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you have a link to this instagram post?  I'd love to check it out.  

• 4 weeks later...

Wish I had started sooner like keychris and kriz6912! Some of my Easter chocolates... hedgehog - peanut butter, painted bunny - caramel, bunny - coconut. Still need to make large hollow bunnies & eggs.

IMG_8340-Easter2017.jpg.77e1f38ad24230064ae0bec7ce09b823.jpg

• Like 9

My first attempt at Easter eggs:

dutton-easter.jpg.bf60059d0224a05a01a01de793a41021.jpg

Clockwise from top left, the flavors are:  strawberry cream, crispy hazelnut gianduja, dark salted caramel, and layers of crispy peanut butter gianduja and cherry pâte de fruit. The caramel proved to be a challenge. With the first batch, using my standard caramel, about a third of the shells developed hairline cracks. So I washed the molds, decorated them again, and made more caramel, this time using a recipe that included added white chocolate and cocoa butter. None of those has cracked so far. Any ideas as to what might have happened with the plain caramel? I used Ewald Notter's recipe, and it has not leaked or caused cracks when piped into smaller cavities, so I'm guessing the larger volume of the egg molds is a factor. The eggs are 2 3/4" long and, with the caramel filling, weigh about 50 grams.

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 11

@curls, don't feel bad, I've totally dropped the ball this Easter season.  I've made a few things but am lacking motivation as far as actually going out and selling them.  I made/sold way more the past 2 years. :|

@Jim D., nice work with the airbrush!

Here are my few - I abandoned the painters tape for the eggs but still used the dry airbrush technique.  Some of the colors are mixed with white chocolate and don't splatter in as fine a mist (or were just dripped from a spoon), best results were when dripping CB directly from the bottle.

Truffle eggs, these are about 4" tall, some molds I got from Chef Rubber last fall.  Truffles inside are about 15mm cubes.IMG_6229.thumb.JPG.6161ea03a0d41b900157fc11913ae332.JPGIMG_6257.thumb.JPG.f82562c754bf1352baa82556194478be.JPG

Couple of bunnies - small ones (bottom) are filled solid with truffle ganache, large (top) are hollow.  I do like these molds even if the large ones have a bit of a learning curve in both scraping and connecting.  I'll get more next time DR has a sale or free shipping, and practice my hand-painting :)

IMG_6240.thumb.JPG.7d950adff8ff3ab8a0e98bfb8aedee8f.JPGIMG_6253.thumb.JPG.cf9c2c97802219f68eaf8ad3fcbc7f74.JPG

• Like 7

Haven't had much time (or money) to rebuild the chocolate mold collection. But, I did manage a few items for orders this week.  The swirly ones are Bailey's. The other two are dark chocolate-sea salt caramel, and MC sea salt caramel.  I've got 2 of the grandkids here now 'helping Grammie" - mainly conducting taste testing and eliminating all evidence of rejects.:P

IMG_1495.JPG

• Like 7

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: