• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

[Host's note: to ease the load on our servers this topic has been split.  The discussion continues from here.]

Chocolate nails...

_058. Chocolate Nails (C)_WM_400.jpg

And a "How it's made!" video...

Edited by lesliec Added host's note (log)
10 people like this

@kriz6912, can you melt and re-use the jelly?  Looks like fun!

@pastrygirl the description in the CW catalogue is " Re-usable jelly for mould making. "

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, keychris said:

@pastrygirl the description in the CW catalogue is " Re-usable jelly for mould making. "

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

1 person likes this

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

54 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
1 person likes this

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Noticed they missed adding it.

1 person likes this

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

4 people like this

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Fudge.JPG

3 people like this

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Just score it with a sharp knife or Stanley cutter before it sets in the pan then when it is properly set, just snap the blocks off.

3 people like this

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Fudge.JPG

Electronic guillotine? Tell us more.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

I had a huge bottle that I probably bought from a pharmacy to make hand lotion a number of years ago. I use about 10 ml of it every month or so to make a mixture with witch hazel.  

IMG_3943.jpg

Here's what I found to mold

IMG_3944.jpg

A little in the bottom allowed to set

IMG_3947.jpg

Stuff him in - bang for bubbles

IMG_3948.jpg

Take him back out

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

I'm in here!

IMG_3952.jpg

Too soon! Good insulator.

IMG_3955.jpg

I'm still in here!

IMG_3957.jpg

Now I'm out!

14 people like this

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

@Kerry Beal have we told you lately that you're awesome?  Thanks for putting that together!

5 people like this

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

I was looking here.

Not in a hurry anyway, just something to keep in mind for the future. I have enough chocolate stuff to concentrate on getting better at right now with the toys I already have. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
1 person likes this

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

3 people like this

11 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

I'm betting you've done the microwave cakes using a cream whipper, how does the texture of this method compare? I like the whipper microwave cakes but this eliminates the need for and cleaning of the whipper. I don't doubt this is good or you wouldn't have posted it, just wondering what the texture is like.

Kerry, thanks a lot for trying and reporting!

Teo

1 person likes this

My pastry blog (in Italian language): http://www.teonzo.com/

On 1/6/2017 at 6:40 AM, kriz6912 said:

Does anyone know if this product - the food jelly for moulds - is available in the US? It's just a food grade silicon mold making kit, and I'm sure Chicago School of Mold Making has one, but last I checked it was super expensive. Would love another option.

• Similar Content

• By minas6907
      Host's note: this is a continuation of the ever-popular Confections! topic; the previous segment is here: Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Here's something I did yesterday, peanut butter chocolate bars.
    • By Lam
      I have been experiementing with macarons these last few months, and I have yet to make perfect macarons. Most of the macarons I have made are hollow on the inside. They're so hollow, if I nudge them a bit, the top crust just comes right off. They still taste decent but not what a successful macaron should be like. I don't think I am overbeating my meringue at all. They are always firm and stiff. I have tried whipping a little less than I usually do but still get hollows. I did some research and saw a few people recommend adding a bit of cornstarch to the dry mix. Yep. Cornstarch.  This really perplexed me because I always see people saying not to use powdered sugar that contains cornstarch, so how could adding cornstarch prevent hollow macs? I also saw one person use tapioca starch to prevent hollows as well. This time around, I whipped the meringue at a much longer time, but no higher than speed 7 (kitchenaid), which gave me a super stable meringue. I also added cornstarch. I piped the batter out, and they looked super perfect the first few minutes in the oven. Sadly, they came out very wrinkled. The first batch was super wrinkled, but the second batch was less wrinkled, or bumpy even. Not sure if this is because of the silpat for the first batch and the parchment pper for the second hmm. Does anyone know what I did wrong to get these wrinkled macs and how to troubleshoot? Also some help on hollow macs would be appreciated! Thanks

• By ChristysConfections
      Hi All,

I am having a caramel problem. I have access to some delicious water buffalo milk (28% fat). I attempted to use it as a replacement for heavy cream(36% fat) in my usual caramel recipe. Unfortunately, when I added the hot milk to the hot sugar, the mixture split into an ugly, grainy mess. I did manage to improve it by blending it with an immersion blender, but the final texture was still grainy. The flavour was great though! 

The method I used was to make a dry caramel with white can sugar, then I added  a small amount of glucose and the buffalo milk that I had heated to a simmer. I cooked this to 252 and added butter before pouring into a pan to cool.

Does anyone understand the science better who could recommend a different method or adjustment to the ingredients that might make it have a smooth texture as caramel should? My supplier for buffalo milk does not have a separator, so using buffalo cream at this time is not an option. I thought about adding butter to the buffalo milk when heating it to bring the fat content up to that of the regular cream, and/or using an emulsifier or something like lechithin or xantham gum. Any thoughts?

It seems I am constantly coming to you for help. Thanks, as always.
    • By Jim D.
      Host's note: this topic was split from Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 2)

I took a look. Rather manipulative site: you have no idea what your selection will cost until you have finished choosing chocolates. And the descriptions are a masterpiece of marketing:  dulce de leche is "succulent homemade milk jam"--a rather grand description of cooked sweetened condensed milk. Really! But you are so right, they look amazing.
    • By jedovaty
      Good morning!

Long story short: I am doing a spin off the coconut/chocolate/almond candy (almond joy), and trying to create a specific shape out of the almond.  My hands are cramped after a couple dozen failed attempts whittling roasted almonds, so now I'd like to try a different approach, and instead, create some kind of sub-candy or cookie with roasted almonds that I can put into a mold or use a mini cookie cutter.  I'm fairly new to sweets, my knowledge in this area is pretty slim.  Some ideas so far, I don't like any, but it might help turn some gears:
      1. dusting almond over a stencil, but that's not enough almond nor crunchy enough
      2. almond brittle, but that's too hard and sweet, I'd like it more of a soft crunch, and bringing the almond flavor forward
      3. meringue with almonds (sort of macaron-ish), however, weather has been humid and raining here, and I'm ending up with a gooey mess instead of that soft crunch

In addition to having almond-forward taste and soft crunch texture, it'd be fun to explore something modernish - I have a accumulated a few tools and ingredients not customarily found in homes.

There are dietary considerations I will have to account for, however, no need to worry about that now, I am just looking for ideas and a place to take it from there

Thank you for your time in reading!