• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

kriz6912

10 hours ago, keychris said:

@pastrygirl the description in the CW catalogue is " Re-usable jelly for mould making. "

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd love to see the label to see what it's made from. I make gelatine molds but they definitely get moldy after a while.

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

54 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I did some searching for the casting/modling jelly the last time he posted something with the chocolate nails and had no luck. I did find a recipe for a DIY version but haven't tried it. It uses gelatin, water, glycerin, glucose and denatured alcohol.

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

That would give it a longer shelf life - can you PM me the recipe and I'll give it a go?

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

7 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Here's the link to the page. Like I said, I haven't messed with it yet so I'm not even sure if it's the same thing as we're discussing here. Sounds like it might be similar though.

Edit: I just read through it again, been a while, and it looks like they forgot to mention adding the glucose listed in the ingredients during the instructions. I would assume it goes in during the heating though.

Noticed they missed adding it.

• Like 1

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

• Like 5

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Fudge.JPG

• Like 3

Stu Jordan - Chocolatier

The Chocolatier Life

Watch "The Chocolatier Life" on Youtube. It's free!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy6wr6iGuC1MakBVwDAlErA

14 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Found about 220 grams of gelatine in the cupboard, added around 250 grams of water, melted it in the microwave after it had hydrated - added about 400 grams of glycerine that I had heated with around 50 grams of glucose. Coloured with a bit of waterbased colour and then added around 15 grams of 95% ETOH - didn't have any denatured so used natured.

IMG_3941.jpg

Tomorrow I'll see what I've got around here to make a mold from. 

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Happy 2017!  Making fudge at the moment. It is very time consuming to cut, and I can't use my guitar cutter or my electronic guillotine as it just shatters. Anyone know a fast way to cut fudge? Tastes fine of course, this picture shows the Russian and the Chocolate varieties.

Just score it with a sharp knife or Stanley cutter before it sets in the pan then when it is properly set, just snap the blocks off.

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

10 hours ago, Stu Jordan said:

Fudge.JPG

Electronic guillotine? Tell us more.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I look forward to seeing how this works out. I wanted to try it myself but kept putting off ordering the required glycerine. I thought I had some around here but if I do, I have no idea where I stashed it. Probably somewhere I knew I wouldn't forget...

I had a huge bottle that I probably bought from a pharmacy to make hand lotion a number of years ago. I use about 10 ml of it every month or so to make a mixture with witch hazel.  

IMG_3943.jpg

Here's what I found to mold

IMG_3944.jpg

A little in the bottom allowed to set

IMG_3947.jpg

Stuff him in - bang for bubbles

IMG_3948.jpg

Take him back out

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

I'm in here!

IMG_3952.jpg

Too soon! Good insulator.

IMG_3955.jpg

I'm still in here!

IMG_3957.jpg

Now I'm out!

• Like 16

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm convinced... gonna have to search for the glycerine I thought I had. If I don't have it, ordering shall be done.

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shipping is dear from Amazon.ca - bet pharmacy can order it for you much cheaper 

I was looking here.

Not in a hurry anyway, just something to keep in mind for the future. I have enough chocolate stuff to concentrate on getting better at right now with the toys I already have. :D

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 1

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

11 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I made Rachel Khong's 2-minute chocolate microwave mug cakes. They're pretty good! I used decent chocolate (callebaut 70% and cluizel cocoa) and substituted melted butter for half the oil. 

This time I served them in the mugs (when I tried de-mugging, the results were unaesthetic in a fecal sort of way). This is a good one to have in your trick bag.

I'm betting you've done the microwave cakes using a cream whipper, how does the texture of this method compare? I like the whipper microwave cakes but this eliminates the need for and cleaning of the whipper. I don't doubt this is good or you wouldn't have posted it, just wondering what the texture is like.

On 1/6/2017 at 6:40 AM, kriz6912 said:

Does anyone know if this product - the food jelly for moulds - is available in the US? It's just a food grade silicon mold making kit, and I'm sure Chicago School of Mold Making has one, but last I checked it was super expensive. Would love another option.