• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Macaron experiments are stressful, huh?

One wrong move and you have flat puddles, lumpen sadsacks, over-risen abominations, or, as I had here, cracked tops from an attempt to make them marbled in appearance and not treating the grey dye correctly.

So I turned my cracked failures into gold leaf-rivuleted beauties, via the Japanese method of kintsukuroi - repairing broken things with gold - brushing gold leaf into the cracks themselves.

Sandwiched together with white chocolate ganache, flavoured with Mariage Freres yuzu and indigo flower Earl Grey tea, with a center of yuzu jam and a roll in dried fleurs de Provence. Kintsugi macarons.

47312D54-81C1-43EE-B008-3F52C4DC1021.thumb.jpg.03923eba39352314856775d73eace21d.jpg

• Like 15

Raspberry Hedgehogs. This is the dessert which I prepare rather often and maybe even more often than the others. Fresh and sun-smelling raspberries arranged on a sweet chocolate mousse looked like colourful hedgehogs. I don't know if this dish will remind everyone of hedgehogs, but the dessert will for sure be tasty for everybody.

Ingredients (for 5 people)
1 pack of chilled French pastry
200g of raspberries
200ml of 30% sweet cream
200g of mascarpone cheese
100g of dark chocolate
2 tablespoons of milk
peppermint leaves

Heat the oven up to 190C.
Smooth some baking pans for the small tarts with butter. Cut the French pastry into squares which fit into the baking pans and put them carefully into them. Smooth the top of the pastry with the milk and bake for 15-17 minutes. Leave to cool down.
Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie, then let it cool down a bit. Whip the cool sweet cream to make a fluffy mass. Mix it in gently with the mascarpone cheese and chocolate. Put the chocolate mousse onto the French pastry to form small hillocks. Arrange the raspberries on top of this and decorate with the peppermint leaves.

DSC_1911a.jpg

DSC_1906a.jpg

• Like 9

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

6 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

One wrong move and you have flat puddles, lumpen sadsacks, over-risen abominations, or, as I had here, cracked tops from an attempt to make them marbled in appearance and not treating the grey dye correctly.

So I turned my cracked failures into gold leaf-rivuleted beauties, via the Japanese method of kintsukuroi - repairing broken things with gold - brushing gold leaf into the cracks themselves.

Sandwiched together with white chocolate ganache, flavoured with Mariage Freres yuzu and indigo flower Earl Grey tea, with a center of yuzu jam and a roll in dried fleurs de Provence. Kintsugi macarons.

47312D54-81C1-43EE-B008-3F52C4DC1021.thumb.jpg.03923eba39352314856775d73eace21d.jpg

Or to summarize: "When life hands you lemons, gild them." :P

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, rarerollingobject said:

I am inspired by your unbridled creativity.  

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well damn, the current show at the Des Moines, Ia Art Center is all about the art of Kintsukuroi.  Wish I had been smart enough to recommend something like your macarons  as part of the dinner.  They are stunning!

• Like 5

On 5/20/2017 at 7:03 AM, rarerollingobject said:

@rarerollingobject  -  inspiring, amazing, unique :) 

• Like 3

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

This dessert, because of the shot of coffee, is better for adult gourmands. For children I recommend using Inka coffee (chicory coffee) or instant cocoa. If you add dry granular coffee to the cheese, you will find small colorful dots in the cheesecake. If you would like to make a smooth cake, dissolve the coffee in a spot of water.

The recipe for this cake comes from www.aniagotuje.pl.

Ingredients:
1kg of grated curd cheese
200g of butter
150g of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of potato flour
4 tablespoons of granular coffee

icing

150g of dark chocolate
150ml of 30% sweet cream
4 tablespoons of desiccated coconuts
fruit for decoration

Heat the oven up to 160C.
Put the granular coffee, sugar and butter into a pot. Heat until the butter is melted. Boil for 2-3 minutes and turn off the heat. Leave to cool down. Add the cheese, potato flour and the coffee mixture and mix it in thoroughly. Put the dough into a baking pan. Put a bowl with hot water at the bottom of the oven, so as not to break the cheesecake during baking. Bake the cheesecake for 90 minutes.
Prepare the icing: heat up the sweet cream, add the chocolate and stir until it has melted.
Decorate the cheesecake with chocolate icing, desiccated coconuts and fruit. Leave the cake in the fridge for 4-5 hours.

DSC_0440b.jpg

DSC_0469b.jpg

DSC_0452a.jpg

• Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

Mini pies to to celebrate a friend's birthday:

IMG_2419.thumb.JPG.a7a09ae8447fbfba83cbad900b3ac6af.JPG

Chocolate peanut butter, mixed berry with cornmeal crust, and citrus (standard key lime pie recipe subbing in orange and lemon juices with the lime). Very happy I made enough to keep some for myself!

• Like 16

Patty

I've been fascinated with UK recipes for years, especially their love of rhubarb and how they craft it into so many different recipes.  For this dish I started with a recipe for lemon posset with roasted rhubarb from BBC Good Food.  I'd never made a posset and was surprised at how incredibly soft and creamy it turned out.  The crumble on top was an accident.  I wanted some crunch on top of the rhubarb and the original idea was to make a basic crumble topping.  Well I hadn't figured that out, but I did make a batch of oatmeal cookies with dried cranberries.  As it turns out, I muffed up the ratio of butter, (doubled it), and the cookies basically flattened out like a lace cookie during baking.  But that was a gift as it now was brittle enough to top the rhubarb.  I'm not nearly as fine a baker and everyone who posts here, but I do get lucky sometimes

IMG_2064.JPGIMG_2065.JPG...

• Like 14

I have spent an inordinate amount of time this weekend dip-dyeing and dehydrating slices of fresh apples and pears, and watercolouring and gold dusting sheets and sheets of edible sugar wafer paper, to turn both into decorations for a four layer pistachio, cardamom and rose cake I'm baking. Origami leaves etc planned for the sugar paper.

The results are pretty and everything, but I'm gonna have to explain to my first external work meeting tomorrow that despite the appearance of my hands, I have not, in fact, murdered a clown.

IMG_5722.thumb.JPG.878060c7de7c67ed3239fe6d85622c0d.JPG

IMG_5723.thumb.JPG.83a89edfa929a4e5e8f3d81ffdfe99b5.JPG

IMG_5728.thumb.JPG.dc45605c1ae3fb0a8018566196764cbe.JPG

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)
  • Like 16

Creamy lemon curd, very brightly flavored. Milky strained yogurt, with a hint of vanilla and very lightly sweetened. Crunchy anise seed flavored streusel. Mint and basil infused olive oil.

20170527_152455.thumb.jpg.fa5b4937ec08aa7a6e9dd5d22269e8b4.jpg

Any resemblance to a fried egg, was honestly completely unintentional, and I found it quite amusing when plating.

I'll also admit that we added all of the remaining streusel right after taking the photos :) 

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A MONDAY OFFICE AFTERNOON TEA CAKE.

(Triple layer pistachio, cardamom and rose cake, sandwiched between each layer with pistachio buttercream, yuzu syrup, freeze-dried mandarin segments and fresh raspberries and covered in dried pears, apples, pineapple and persimmon, edible watercoloured sugar paper, edible flowers and tempered white chocolate shards.)

ckae.thumb.jpg.655b752dc2934148bd76227e5b14bc83.jpg

• Like 11

I think this is the second time I've made this peach cobbler from Smitten Kitchen  and it's good but it never turns out crispy for me on the top.  It's more cakey.  I follow her directions to the letter except that I've always used my home canned peaches which are peeled instead of using fresh.  I don't think that would cause the non-crispness.  Or maybe her definition of crisp is different than mine.  Anyway, we enjoyed it and hopefully I will get off my lazy butt and make some vanilla ice cream to go with it.

592c2e0bec95f_photo161.JPG.7e3ad8c1d5c5ff472d7d0b2bce8a6b1e.JPG

592c2e129583b_photo160.JPG.71ebb7fe1b53171ffc8eab408d755ee6.JPG

• Like 9

"Dessert for tropical heat" :)

Today I would like to share with you a recipe for fruit mousse with a hint of coconut. You should serve it strongly chilled. It is perfectly refreshing and supplements the micro-elements which we lose when it is hot. The sweetness of the dessert hinges on the degree of ripeness of the fruit. If you don't have perfectly ripe, juicy fruit, you may add a bit of honey or maple syrup.

Ingredients (for 4 people):
1 big mango
1 pineapple
400g of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
honey or maple syrup
fruit for decoration

Clean and peel the fruit. Blend the pineapple and mango with the coconut milk and lemon juice. Add honey or maple syrup if necessary. Cool it down in the fridge for at least an hour. Decorate with the fruit before serving.

DSC_1374a.jpg

DSC_1388a.jpg

• Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland