• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omelette: how do you make your(favorite)s?

silverbrow

if you have eggs

and  mix-ins

Im happy to  now  call

scrambled eggs

w mix-ins  

an  extended   omelette.  

only in these interesting times.

after we all get a fairly effective vaccination 

Ill think about it  again 

and go back to my older ns trsditional views

if i can.

• Like 1

I switched to a saute pan with higher sides to accommodate more vigorous jerking.

Omelet04202020.png

About thirty seconds.  Still creamy in the center.  No utensil sullied.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

looks like an Egyptian  

from the Valley of the Dead 

or maybe the Kings ?

is this Hatsheput ?

how did Howard Carter miss this ?

glad its still creamy inside 

and yes , peoples 

Ive been having a very very slow infusion for some time

slow , low 

and watching Bosch S6

drunk.jpeg.36698ed7d7b92b1ccc113144398a6b05.jpeg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

I made chef Ludo's boursin omelette the other day. It was pretty rich, and I would use smaller dollops of boursin next time. Regrettably I was out of chives, so you will have to picture this with finely sliced chives on top. The center was custardy-creamy.

Chef Ludo Boursin Omelette

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I made chef Ludo's boursin omelette the other day. It was pretty rich, and I would use smaller dollops of boursin next time. Regrettably I was out of chives, so you will have to picture this with finely sliced chives on top. The center was custardy-creamy.

Chef Ludo Boursin Omelette

Looks perfect!

• Like 2

My perfect omelet would be one with no browning and the inside like soft custardy eggs.

I can get that about 50% of the time as it takes near perfect timing and any filling ingredients warmed without any excess liquid (when using greens).

Here's an older example: mushroom, spinach and goat cheese 2 egg omelet.

MushroomSpinachandGoatCheeseOmelet.thumb.JPG.901edbe1c8e6b4e44f23046c84dbb6a9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I/we prefer the slightly browned aka 'country style' -

just about everyone is a favorite . . .

- just cheese

- western/Denver

- mushroom & onion

- tomato & scallion

- ham&cheese.  I save&freeze diced spiral ham (Easter thing . . . ) for later use

- cheese&sausage

oddly, no "beef" stuff in the mix . . . might have to play with that....

btw, my "Blue Diamond" ceramic pan has officially transitioned from "non-stick" to "stick" so I'm having to revert back to real Teflon for eggs & crepes....

• 3 weeks later...

follow-up on the Blue Diamond pan . . .

I noticed a film build up on the sides and various spots on the floor - broke out the Bar Keeper's Friend and gave it a good scour.

lots of brown stuff came off - I've only used butter and olive oil in the pan - so it's no emulsifiers building up....

I have tried Bar Keepers Friend on "real Telflon pans" - the brown film (?lecithin?) did not come off - never used sprays on them ala PAM

. . but once burnt on, the Teflon pan is scrap.

in contrast, this (ceramic?) Blue Diamond pan did come clean of the film, and subsequent use I'd say is about 85-90% of "new out of the box" non-stickiness.

how many scrubbings will it tolerate?  dunno.

• Like 1

@AlaMoi

I was about to buy one of those Blue Diamond pans , as the 9.5 " is on sale.

but don't really need another pan , of any kind.  but I might succumb for research purposes.

My Teflon pans continue to serve me well   this set and brand

T-fal Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan Set 3 Piece, 8, 10.25, 12 Inch, Oven Broiler Safe 400F, Lid Safe 350F (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I ve had them for years , and now find that they work decently as long as they are hot when the eggs go in 

ie there is a sizzle .  no sizzle , I didn't wait long enough and there is sticking .  this is eggs w no EVOO or Butter,

they do not function quite the same , of course , as brand new .  but work well for my purposes.

in terms of the ' film '   Ive had that on my heavy French copper sauce // fry pans 

I think its polymerized oil of some sort .  PAM is the worst thing to use , and promotes very heavy build up

I removed it either Eazy=Off or BTF.

is it possible you get that brown film , using only EVOO and Butter  because you use the pans at a very high heat ?

One of my favorite pans is a dedicated carbon steel omelette pan. I've had it as long as I can remember. I don't use it for anything else, although I suppose you could make crepes in it. It's best for a 2-egg omelette but can accommodate 3. My preferred is a really simple one, with chives and melty cheese; these days we often use Oaxaca, since it behaves so well and we typically have it on hand. I'm not partial to overstuffed affairs. I find that a lot of ingredients takes longer to cook and therefore overcooks the eggs, browning them. I never order omelettes when I'm out for brunch. They just end up clunky and tough. Brunch is a tough sell for me under most any circumstances, though. Could be I've already said this but I don't remember.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

. . . I'm not partial to overstuffed affairs. I find that a lot of ingredients takes longer to cook and therefore overcooks the eggs, browning them.

Restraint is good, but not one of my virtues so I often pre-cook the innards (veggies, etc.) just before making the omelette.

• Like 2