• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2017 (Part 3)

Norm Matthews

6 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Same here with herring. 

To thine own self be true!

HC

To the thine own self be true, and it must follow as the night the day, there will be herring left for everyone.  

xDxD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A deviation from Indian food for one night only. The weather was nasty, so comfort food called.

Beef casserole with mash potatoes, garlic green beans and olive sourdough to mop up the sauce. Hit the spot.

IMG_3408.thumb.JPG.40140ad59a4e10c9a922ae62729cc3cb.JPG

• Like 13

Tonight was not the dinner I'd been planning.  When I left the store this evening I still had no idea what I'd be eating.  The only green thing that appealed to me was broccoli rabe.  So I bought some.  Happens only about once a year.

I had some potatoes and Pleistocene pasteurized rib lamb.  Sounded like a plan.  I baked a potato, heated up the grill, and after my requisite Mississippi punch realized I had not opened the wine.  Oh well.  Skipped the lamb.  Dinner was baked potato and broccoli rabe.  Quite tasty actually.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Did you eat this dish in the green version:)?

Today I would like to share with you a spring (it is just starting in Poland) proposal . Decide for yourself whether to eat it for breakfast, dinner or supper. I prepared these amazing green crepes for dinner. To decorate my spring crepes I used cress. For me it is the next sign of spring and upcoming Easter.

Ingredients:
crepes
340g of ready semolina
700ml of milk
100g of spinach
2 eggs
4 tablespoons of oil
a hint of salt
stuffing
200g of cottage cheese
100ml of natural yoghurt
6 radishes
3 tablespoons of cress
salt and pepper

the whole recipe here

DSC_0690b.jpg

Edited by Kasia (log)
  • Like 10

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

image.jpeg.478cfd1b7e92b5481c8ca52305053e7c.jpeg

Don't think much of burgers.  The theory is fine but the execution most often falls short to my taste.  Doesn't matter what protein is used, I will usually ditch it in favour of eating just the bun and the toppings.  But I had bought hamburger buns because I was too lazy to bake any buns and my online grocery store had little better to offer.  Needed something filling, fast and easy last night.  Remembered the Danish meatballs I had frozen a week or so ago. Gently defrosted a couple of those, sliced them and piled them onto the toasted hamburger bun with most of the usual suspect toppings. No relish and no mustard!   I would definitely make this again. 

• Like 10

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

More Indian, and perhaps the best chicken curry I've ever made !

Chicken wing curry, beetroot curry, dosa, tomato chutney, steamed rice and lime pickle.

The chicken is made by marinating wings with Greek yoghurt and Mangal brand tandoori spice mix for a few hours. In a deep pan I sautéed sliced red onions, ginger garlic paste, a few sliced green chillies and a tomato. Dump in the chicken and marinade, add a bit of water, simmer for an hour or so. Easy peasy. 

IMG_3410.thumb.JPG.de7e0fd1c6243a4be4575a62ae697c0a.JPG

• Like 13

image.jpeg.61743a132864c5a1a7b2775639be77ca.jpeg

My meal planning skills are nonexistent. Tonight's dinner according to my plan was a Sous Vide pork loin.   But as dinner time approached I became less and less inclined to eat a plate of meat.  And so I made a salad.  Orzo, tomatoes, olives, marinated artichokes, pinenuts, scallions and basil all dressed with lemon juice and the oil from the  marinated artichokes. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Ronnie went fishing all day (he caught a 57 lb. catfish!!!  it was amazing!!) and was really hungry for venison meatloaf so that's what we had.  For the first time I put bacon on it.  Why I've never done it that way, I don't know because it was soooooo gooooood.   I couldn't find my Benton's bacon---it's here somewhere but I just didn't have the oomph to dig for it--so I had to settle for thin bacon but I understand now why @rotuts and @kayb and many others make their meatloaf this way.  

58dfb76483062_photo55.JPG.486afe3e9cad7f79b053e05514962acb.JPG

58dfb74c6be17_photo56.JPG.339847c2d0339a4e30b288c7e62ea85e.JPG

58dfb75581bc0_photo57.JPG.c7b5cbe7d5e36575c5ad023b50c0a079.JPG

• Like 12

What's stuffed into those peppers, @sartoric?  Looks like perhaps some cheese (what type?) and what else?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown