• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 2)

snowangel

Its kind of like Paella Negra, isn't it...? I'm sure with a transfer of plate and a bit of artful rearrangement of the.. er.. tentacles it could look great!

Okay, not great, just dramatic. In a different way from the one we've already seen :smile:

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Oh my!

There was this one episode of Star Trek DS9 where the characters are at a Klingon restaurant, and the Klingon chef slops a plate of black, squirmy, slimy worm-things which the customers proceeded to eat with relish....

Do you really think that relish would help?

I've just discovered this thread and waded through all 24 pages of delicious uckiness (and just plain uck!) Bravo... if I was going to share my food photos this is where they'd have to end up!

• 2 weeks later...

I need a good laugh, someone screw up a meal quick! I love this thread, it puts cooking back on a human level. After all of the fantastic, beautiful and perfect meals served on egullet, this is a refreshing reminder that we are, after all, still human and bursting with the need to laugh at ourselves occasionally. :wink: Or at others wonderfull goofs! Thank you to everyone who has the courage to post, you have brought a much needed chuckle into our lives.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I need a good laugh, someone screw up a meal quick!  I love this thread, it puts cooking back on a human level.  After all of the fantastic, beautiful and perfect meals served on egullet, this is a refreshing reminder that we are, after all, still human and bursting with the need to laugh at ourselves occasionally.  :wink: Or at others wonderfull goofs!  Thank you to everyone who has the courage to post, you have brought a much needed chuckle into our lives.

OK! I don't know why i've holding out on you guys but i had this pizza disaster last week. You know how it goes, overloaded dough sticking whilst you're transferring it onto the stone. Looked like a road accident but tasted great, kinda like half pizza - half calzone! I think if i'm going to be this greedy with the toppings i'll have to get a proper pizza peel... gallery_52657_4505_15527.jpg

OK!  I don't know why i've holding out on you guys but i had this pizza disaster last week.  You know how it goes, overloaded dough sticking whilst you're transferring it onto the stone.  Looked like a road accident but tasted great, kinda like half pizza - half calzone!  I think if i'm going to be this greedy with the toppings i'll have to get a proper pizza peel...  gallery_52657_4505_15527.jpg

I'd eat that, but I have to admit, it kind of looks like something from the movie Alien.... :blink:

That looks so wonderfully rustic, homemade and delicious! You definately put that in the wrong post! Yummy! Still waiting for giggles....................................

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Prawncrackers - I agree with everyone else, it looks delicious. Altough, it does look Pizza Pac-Man eating a rabbit. :biggrin:

Prawncrackers! That is amazing -- looking at it again, I totally see the Pizza Pac-Man munching on a rabbit! Love it! A Rorschach test for foodies!!

Prawncrackers - I agree with everyone else, it looks delicious. Altough, it does look Pizza Pac-Man eating a rabbit. :biggrin:

Prawncrackers! That is amazing -- looking at it again, I totally see the Pizza Pac-Man munching on a rabbit! Love it! A Rorschach test for foodies!!

:laugh: Got the Giggles!

I had to look twice, does that mean I failed the foodie psych test?

Brenda

I see Pizza Pac-Man eating a brontosaurus. And now, I know what I am having for dinner tomorrow night (homemade pizza, not brontosaurus).

Robin Tyler McWaters

gallery_52657_4505_15527.jpg

That DOES look yummy-- love the crunchy blackened bits. But if I had to come up with a gross description? Hmmm... A piglet with its head caught in mid-explosion :biggrin:

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

That DOES look yummy-- love the crunchy blackened bits. But if I had to come up with a gross description? Hmmm... A piglet with its head caught in mid-explosion :biggrin:

Shheeesh you guys, does everyone think this looks deee-lishh!?! You all have got low standards on this thread :biggrin:

Those blackened bits are olives btw!!

Oh and it not pac-man or rabbit or whatever.... it's a baby eagle bursting out of an easter egg!!!!!

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

Casseroles and stews are hard to make look attractive, specially when the family is anxious to eat. Now you know why we say "garnish with chopped parsley" - it takes your eye away from the mess underneath. Never did get to the parsley stage with the anaemic Coq au Vin, though it tasted delicious.

gallery_44937_3643_9092.jpg

Sometimes I just use a photo of the casserole before it goes into the oven. The meat doesn't look so bad with an assortment of raw chopped vegetables and herbs.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

Coq au Vin can be very difficult to make attractive, but tastes so divine!

However, were we closer to Halloween I would swear that dish was designed to frighten the kiddies! In the upper right corner, I think I spy poor coq's eyeball floating around in there. As too the other parts.......... :wink:

Brenda

Coq au Vin can be very difficult to make attractive, but tastes so divine!

However, were we closer to Halloween I would swear that dish was designed to frighten the kiddies!  In the upper right corner, I think I spy poor coq's eyeball floating around in there. As too the other parts.......... :wink:

Come on. I'm a Kiwi. It would have to be a sheep's eyeball :-)

I also have a very scary picture of goat stew. (shudder)

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

Thank you all. This thread is one of the funniest bits of business I've ever read.

It's had me laughing my ass off for quite a while. A truly earthy and rarefied combination of food and potty humor that has me, at once, humbled and yet inspired to go right into the kitchen and create new life forms myownself. Offerings to come, I'm afraid.

What do you think would have made the proper liquid accompaniment to the squid ink risotto?

"I dreamed last night, oh marvelous error,

That there are honey bees in my heart

Making honey out of my old failures" - Antonio Machado

Thank you all. This thread is one of the funniest bits of business I've ever read.

It's had me laughing my ass off for quite a while. A truly earthy and rarefied  combination of food and potty humor that has me, at once, humbled and yet inspired to go right into the kitchen and create new life forms myownself. Offerings to come, I'm afraid.

What do you think would have made the proper liquid accompaniment to the squid ink risotto?

Fresh pig's blood.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 1 month later...

This was a "tropical" chicken: chicken breast marinated in lime juice, honey, garlic, olive oil, and rum, then grilled, then topped with a sauce made from coconut and more rum (I like rum!) and various other things, then topped with toasted coconut, toasted chopped cashews, and diced dried mango (As a rule, I don't care for dried fruit and I LOVE this stuff.). It was delicious.

Unfortunately, it wasn't photogenic:

gallery_15557_2797_13831.jpg

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Marcia, isn't it grand that we can laugh at ourselves!!! That looks horrific, like some un-born creature recently dug up. Do you see the thing lying on it's side, arm across its tummy and legs curled behind? (head on the right) yyyyyyyyyuuccck!

I does sound good tho!

Brenda