• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

Kim Shook

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Anna N I was thinking about your tiffin and wondered if you could stack part of it in your IP and cook in it?

The exact same thing occurred to me although I have not done anything towards checking it out.

And I have a confession to make. I have the exact same tiffin that @HungryChris  found at a thrift store but it just never appealed to me as something in which to serve my own food. I keep seeds and nuts in it for baking.   I also found mine at a thrift store.   The all stainless one  is considerably smaller in diameter.  I bet I could cook rice in the new one using the bowl-in-bowl method.  Well now you have me thinking about a stacked meal!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am going to continue this conversation over in the Instant Pot topic.

Here's a link.  

Edited by Anna N
To add link to the Instant Pot topic. (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

While I was talking to my cleaning angel on Tuesday morning I happen to mention that I was hungering for some lamb. She recommended that the next time @Kerry Beal  and I meet for lunch we should check out The Grand Chalet  in the next town over from Oakville. Today was that day!

image.jpeg.b3757aff4aa794085e0b8928ef3a4961.jpeg

Basket of beautifully fresh bread that arrived within the company and saucer of olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.

image.jpeg.40b78ac67b5db0884335490d7d0571ed.jpeg

Antipasto  of peppers, olives, Parmesan, and prosciutto.

image.jpeg.29ab2b85fa110bf2fae2addb3b4ad70c.jpeg

Pork schnitzel and a salad dressed with oil and the restaurant's own red wine vinegar.

image.jpeg.19aea5649555fa00b9750f5f555a82ff.jpeg

And the reason for our visit -- lamb skewers!  No leftovers this time!

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or over here  since I seem to have my own meal kit delivery system going for me.

@Kerry Beal  showed up at my house with all the makings for bowls of pho for each of us that she had picked up from the restaurant in Hamilton.

image.jpeg.5ac8485d17f8b648d56587d66b260901.jpeg

The accoutrements 

image.jpeg.8631359898e48781ff717f996946a02d.jpeg

Beef and chicken for Kerry

image.jpeg.f3cc453aa5efc6ea3ab40a17dc300820.jpeg

Rare and well done beef for me. 

We are both so predictable.   It was nice to eat in the comfort of my house but we both missed the people-watching that we do in a restaurant.  

Edited to remove an extraneous picture.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or over here  since I seem to have my own meal kit delivery system going for me.

@Kerry Beal  showed up at my house with all the makings for bowls of pho for each of us that she had picked up from the restaurant in Hamilton.

image.jpeg.5ac8485d17f8b648d56587d66b260901.jpeg

The accoutrements 

image.jpeg.8631359898e48781ff717f996946a02d.jpeg

Beef and chicken for Kerry

image.jpeg.f3cc453aa5efc6ea3ab40a17dc300820.jpeg

Rare and well done beef for me. 

We are both so predictable.   It was nice to eat in the comfort of my house but we both missed the people-watching that we do in a restaurant.  

Edited to remove an extraneous picture.

Geez, between home Pho delivery and the maple vinegar I just read about, I'm having some serious envy!

• Like 4

Today Kerry and I headed out to the HomeSense store in Ancaster for some retail therapy (more for me than for Kerry!)  After an hour or two in the store where I sated my desire for some conspicuous consumption we headed off for lunch.  I am rarely anxious to sample any Italian restaurant as I have a difficulty making my mind move beyond Italian American/Canadian to the real McCoy or some representation thereof.  But we have eaten in a couple of Italian restaurants recently and I've enjoyed the food so when Kerry mentioned Cavallo-nero I was certainly game.

image.jpeg.b595fcf6b6e0bcbd3036de4243dbffe2.jpeg

Tea with lots of milk for Kerry. I stuck with water. 

image.jpeg.f56c3f4632a5647dad71751553c250c9.jpeg

Calamari with marinara sauce and lemon aioli (the latter was moooorish).

image.jpeg.9caf8594e92ec9bb472e605a8e9c3117.jpeg

Kerry decided on the lunch trio of soup, salad and bread.  The soup was lamb and the bread was lightly toasted.  

image.jpeg.b34fbe4b93704ae544a4d58acd61e87c.jpeg

I ordered the mushroom pizza but hold the truffle oil which I despise. When my anemic pizza arrived with its barely cooked, awkward-to-eat mushrooms, I  regretted not ordering the same as Kerry.  That lamb soup/stew would have been right up my alley.  

But I am very much looking forward to pizza the second time around. I will pick off the mushrooms, slice them as best I can and colour them in a hot pan.  I will then return them to the pizza with a little more grated mozzarella and reheat the pie on a screaming hot pizza stone.   Can't do any harm!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

See the Dinner topic for my doctored pizza.

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

What does moooorish mean? 

Just means something you would enjoy more of. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Ran down to Buffalo yesterday to have lunch with @patris.

She chose Rancho's Latin Food for Venezuelan fare. 

IMG_1862.JPG.b0d59fbfb1104164c046ebed95e8fbc1.JPG

Ranchos beef and yucca for me.

IMG_1864.JPG.40d8f02db8589e310ff5d70c6222c670.JPG

Arepa for @patris

• Like 6

Some recent lunches with my honorary “Lady Friend”, Mr. Kim.  Late lunch at Tip Top in Charlottesville VA – a Greek/diner kind of place I’d been wanting to stop at for ages.  Started with calamari:

20170304_150101.jpg.a617d0c51c95a8a7cbb495204bc5ecbb.jpg

Pretty ordinary.

Mr. Kim had the baked spaghetti w/ pepperoni – his go-to dish at any place that serves it:

20170304_145820.jpg.92ed94f335121a7bb1e9990322a5e593.jpg

This was very good – definitely Greek tomato sauce.  It tasted like the sauce I make for pastitsio.  I got the gyro dinner:

20170304_145823.jpg.f82ccb1b0d81fcd9831c89a370a4316c.jpg

This was pretty good – even though the meat was obviously machine sliced – probably Sysco or something like that.  The flavor was very nice, the salad was really good and the fries were great.  Why do Greek restaurants have such great fries?  Came with good tzatziki.

For my mother’s birthday, we took her to Dot’s Back Inn in Richmond VA (a great neighborhood joint that has been around forever).  My mother had a softshell and potatoes:

DSCN6948.JPG.f4fbbc7d1c964643b86c9b44bf21ef5f.JPG

Jessica and I had the softshell Benedict:

DSCN6949.JPG.c870d6d8555f9c87898ebf19e8aefcf0.JPG

Mr. Kim had the Antony’s burger (very spicy):

DSCN6950.JPG.1f7516a23dfb7ec0d2085fd90bd6a7a7.JPG

After church brunch on Sunday was at a new ramen place we’ve been wanting to try – Takara Ramen.  We shared some wonderful pork gyoza – fantastically thin wrappers and perfectly crisped – and a charcoal grilled pork belly skewer (not pictured).  I had the miso ramen:

2017050795122342.jpg.df000f43b61c3a4c661c07e1e98b39d0.jpg

Curly noodles, pork broth, miso garlic, chasu (braised pork belly), soft boiled egg, spinach, corn, green onion, roasted sprouts, fish cake and nori.

Mr. Kim had the Tonkotsu Ramen:

2017050795122330.jpg.9101e07e439eb3451a167b85205af107.jpg

Straight noodles, pork broth, chashu, egg, spinach, menma (condiment made from fermented bamboo shoots), kikuage mushrooms, green onions, roasted sprouts, garlic chips, black garlic oil, fish cake and nori.  Everything was delicious, but what really grabbed me was the egg.  The combination of the soft-cooked egg and the pork broth was fantastic.

• Like 8

After haircuts in Burlington this morning Kerry and I  Did some grocery shopping and then drove back to Oakville  to complete an errand on Kerr Street.  I suggested we return to Salad Thai, also on Kerr, for lunch. 

image.jpeg.24b19e72eb28692db4272f3d4ed85207.jpeg

Crispy calamari

image.jpeg.6e5379ef5bf89f30fc4184d7ecba09a9.jpeg

Beef salad for me.

image.jpeg.9fd90a94dac15dc7d77c3df6fe4256a4.jpeg

Chicken salad for Kerry.

If you read the dinner thread this is where I left my iPhone.  Kerry returned after dinner tonight and retrieved it for me.   There is something to be said about having an iPhone that is so old the Smithsonian is waiting for it!  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

I have an iphone 3, Anna, could we perhaps put our antiques together and offer local museums a traveling exhibit?!

Love it!   My son has my iPhone 3 and uses it as an alarm clock. 

My 2004 eG Blog

After a nice leisurely wander through Whole Foods,  something we only do a couple of times a year, and a quick visit to the nearby LCBO to find a bottle of (affordable) Pedro Ximenez sherry (no luck),  Kerry and I went back to Nandos for some Portuguese chicken.  

image.jpeg.2c4388427a1a9d5712d91d5720e14918.jpeg

Half chicken for Kerry with two sides, fries  and sweet potato wedges.

image.jpeg.749c40ff7de670f1ab9ec78c68036e9c.jpeg

image.jpeg.07ea174d2a64ef934fc4998a358733d0.jpeg

Chicken livers with garlic bread for me.

We basically shared everything,

image.jpeg.067f2d073d92a7895a992140d71e1575.jpeg

We each enjoyed a custard tart.

Not quite nose to tail eating but definitely chicken dependent.  

I asked Kerry to remind me next time to order the chicken because it is so good.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎10 at 7:40 PM, Anna N said:

There is something to be said about having an iPhone that is so old the Smithsonian is waiting for it!  

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 6:35 AM, TicTac said:

I have an iphone 3, Anna, could we perhaps put our antiques together and offer local museums a traveling exhibit?!

If you really want to see a relic from another time, I've never owned (or wanted to own) a cell phone of any type. Just call me Captain Caveman... :D

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

looks like a nice lunch

like the looks of the S.P. wedges

what do you think the drizzle was ?

Both @Kerry Beal and I thought the wedges could've been cooked just a bit longer but I think it was more a matter of taste  and that others would have found them just fine. I seem to think the drizzle was a lemon garlic sauce but perhaps Kerry can confirm. It was definitely interesting.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Both @Kerry Beal and I thought the wedges could've been cooked just a bit longer but I think it was more a matter of taste  and that others would have found them just fine. I seem to think the drizzle was a lemon garlic sauce but perhaps Kerry can confirm. It was definitely interesting.

Lemon garlic sounds about right! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, heidih said:

That all sounds more Peruvian than Portuguese???

They seem to think they are Portuguese.

My 2004 eG Blog

24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

They seem to think they are Portuguese.

That chicken sounds really good. Load it up with the extra hot sauce and park a nice, cold beer next to it...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, Tri2Cook said:

That chicken sounds really good. Load it up with the extra hot sauce and park a nice, cold beer next to it...

The chicken really is very, very good.   The way the restaurant service is organized however is most peculiar and seems wasteful of time and staff. You are met at the door and pointed to a table and given menus and directed to choose your food and then go to the counter to order it and pay for it. Then someone else brings a carafe of water and glasses for all the diners at the table. You are expected to walk down to the far end of the  restaurant to collect your cutlery, napkins and condiments and carry them back to your table.   When your food is ready it is delivered to your table.   Then a server seems to show up every five minutes to ask how you are doing.  When the table is finished and the guests leave it would seem that they have one person who busses the dishes and another does the water and glasses.  At least that appeared to be the case.   I did not take care of the bill but since you pay for your food before you receive it I truly don't know if tipping is just not done.  Anyway it's a strange experience that is neither cafeteria style nor full restaurant style. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The ladies were me and my nearly ninety five year old mother. The venue was the Ballarat Yacht Club.

The lunch was pumpkin and haloumi tart with tomato relish and a salad.IMG_4005.thumb.JPG.b76221319325f89615cbd3d737719d18.JPG

The view speaks for itself.

IMG_4008.thumb.JPG.58382c98c16373c1cf89b719398d7b36.JPG

• Like 7