• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, caroled said:

you will enjoy the okra!  

Indeed!  I'm snacking on some at the moment.  Nuts.com comes through again.

Now where could I put a freeze drier?

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed!  I'm snacking on some at the moment.  Nuts.com comes through again.

Now where could I put a freeze drier?

I recommend a location close to the sputter coater you'll need for your SEM so you can save space by figuring a way to use the same vacuum pump for both applications.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I roasted the surprisingly large seeds from the delicata squash I did yesterday. Just a 20 minute soak in super salty water, dried off and roasted till well done. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some people snack on Oreos. Some people snack on Ben & Jerry’s but I open my refrigerator just now having a bad case of the munchies and spotted the parsnips. :DD3F39FAE-07D0-48B9-9D90-24C154DD427D.thumb.jpeg.8edb8e8459880a95041d25112ebd2c50.jpeg

Perfect. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Well they are sweet!  Especially when cooked to a point where they get crispy.

But they are fantastic.

My BIL does them every year at Christmas glazed with honey and baked till caramelized.

Also good with curry powder or if you want to be classy garam masala. :)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, lindag said:

But how did you bake them?   

Tossed in some oil with salt pepper and roasted in the Breville  Smart oven at 425°F until they looked done to me probably about 30 minutes. I tossed them around a few times while they were roasting. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

I was paging through Six Seasons, with an eye towards healthy, vegetable options to try in the new year when I spied a note under a recipe for Frico in the basic intro section, suggesting they be offered as a snack with Champagne. 

I just happened to have a big wedge of Parmesan AND some leftover bubbles in the fridge.

IMG_6650.thumb.jpg.b4b213153bc28f012bc1f3c161e60cb3.jpg

Excellent snack.  Obviously I still need to work on the vegetable thing xD!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was paging through Six Seasons, with an eye towards healthy, vegetable options to try in the new year when I spied a note under a recipe for Frico in the basic intro section, suggesting they be offered as a snack with Champagne. 

I just happened to have a big wedge of Parmesan AND some leftover bubbles in the fridge.

IMG_6650.thumb.jpg.b4b213153bc28f012bc1f3c161e60cb3.jpg

Excellent snack.  Obviously I still need to work on the vegetable thing xD!

You OBVIOUSLY need to work on left over bubbles.  It would be a shame if bubbles go flat ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"buttery crackers" some cheese from Aldi, some red Anjou pear slices and a throwback to my childhood - those "buttery crackers" with a thin layer of Miracle Whip and a thin slice of blue cheese...........extra grapes on the side but NOT bubbly

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

And here I thought I was completely out of nuts.  Last night I was reduced to sunflower spawn and Mississippi punch.  A few moments ago I found an unopened one pound bag of nuts.com Virginia Jumbo Roasted Peanuts (salted).  And there is fresh mint in my mai tai.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Missed breakfast. Most likely will miss lunch. Snacking on some Jarlsberg which I consider to be a perfect snacking cheese and not necessarily good for much else. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Today's afternoon snack. (Not the whole jar.)  

IMG_2308-2.JPG

For my daughter, "not the whole jar" actually means "I didn't take a spatula and scrape the sides."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedomeNot sure what is with our daughters and this stuff.  My oldest daughter had such an addiction to it. She used to take jars of it to the ski hill, and eat while she was riding up the lifts.  Then, she'd stick the jars up in the trees all over the place. When she was teaching ski lessons, she'd tell the kids that Nutella grows on trees. They'd argue, she'd make them a bet she could pick one from a tree...then proceed to ski to a "random" tree, and pluck a jar and spoon right off the tree, and eat it in front of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: