• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

• 2 weeks later...

It is hot, I live on the second story.  Food is never more sensuous than when the Marcona almond lands in your umbilicus.

• Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I am snacking on pretzel rods with added Honey Mustard (I keep the plastic bottle in a bag in my desk drawer).

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

For last night's dinner, I skinned a couple of chicken thighs. I intended to use the skin this morning with breakfast, but an early (6 am) call changed all my plans. I finally managed to crisp them up  in the late afternoon for a between lunch and dinner snackette while e-Gulleting.

mouse.thumb.jpg.53b8453cdc7bcdc91f1470da7b6b856f.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

Did you deep fry them? I ask because they definitely don’t look the same as mine which are slowly fried in their own rendered fat. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

29 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou

Did you deep fry them? I ask because they definitely don’t look the same as mine which are slowly fried in their own rendered fat. 

No. I dry them, then stick 'em between two bits of kitchen paper and nuke them for a minute.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

牙签牛肉 yá qiān niú ròu is a popular snack or beer food round here. Some supermarkets sell it, but I usually make by myself, as do most people. The Chinese means "toothpick beef". Lean beef is sliced thinly and cut into small pieces. These are marinaded in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce,  with garlic salt, and usually, chilli flakes. After between 30 minutes to an hour, they are threaded onto toothpicks, sprinkled with white sesame seeds and very briefly deep fried. I love 'em.

1994695196_yaqianniurou.jpg.40da3a374f62f173e27ce729686e637d.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

牙签牛肉 yá qiān niú ròu is a popular snack or beer food round here. Some supermarkets sell it, but I usually make by myself, as do most people. The Chinese means "toothpick beef". Lean beef is sliced thinly and cut into small pieces. These are marinaded in Shaoxing wine and soy sauce,  with garlic salt, and usually, chilli flakes. After between 30 minutes to an hour, they are threaded onto toothpicks, sprinkled with white sesame seeds and very briefly deep fried. I love 'em.

That sounds delicious!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Brie so ripe that eating it outside was a necessity.  I know that @rotuts likes to ripen his Brie but I took this specimen one umami molecule too far. It was consumed with pita chips and margarita.

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.b458cb615034aa77635ed3f5c63847a3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@chefmd

always nice to fine a Brie Brother or Sister.

would you have a CSO

w 2 umamis 'high'

one can take the CSo 

outside perhaps

and make a Killer Toastie

keep that in mind

like the candle  BTW

that bad ?

@rotuts I have two CSO and a back up unit ;) in case they stop making it.   Not that I am paranoid or anything.   It's just my Russian upbringing.  One must have salt, matches, soap and their favorite kitchen appliance.

Candle is citronella to protect us from mosquitos and not from the Brie!  We clearly liked it.

IMG_0669.thumb.JPG.03906e7c6e5bcec6a29ad574755b2004.JPG

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

I also have a Back-Up CSO

Sooo

you say you have three ?

quite nice.

consider a Perfectly Aged

Brie  

Toasty some time.

CSO'd

The Heavens  will part

and the Sun will Shine 

[ed.: on a cold day , not just this week ]

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Oh, WOW!  I'd love those without the chili flakes!  

On 7/1/2018 at 5:24 AM, Kim Shook said:

Oh, WOW!  I'd love those without the chili flakes! 

I have, in the past, made huge batches of these for social gatherings. I did half with and half without chilli. I have to say, though, the chilli ones always go first!

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 2

Currently snacking on Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel pieces - Hot Buffalo Wing flavor. 

They're not hot at all but have a nice flavor and are addicting.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver