• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TonyC

Freeze Dryers and Freeze Dried Food (Part 2)

Palo,

Initial investment is the machine and some oil.  It comes with a quart.  Check out Harvest Right's site.  Note, you will want to run it in an area that you can isolate.  This is a bit noisy.

Palo,

Initial investment is the machine and some oil.  It comes with a quart.  Check out Harvest Right's site.  Note, you will want to run it in an area that you can isolate.  This is a bit noisy.

13 hours ago, palo said:

Sounds like something I might like but what is the initial investment?

As well the process taking 48+ hours seems like a lot of electricity usage.

p

I have a Kill-a-Watt on the power cord.  Our cost per KWHr here is 8.6 cents and a typical 24-28 hour batch uses about $1.70 of electricity.

Looking for specifically 2 items.  Can you freeze dry Cod Filets, Salmon filets and Catfish filets?  I think these would be ideal protein sources.  I already freeze dry Ham steaks with great success.  Rehydrate and cook fine.

Bill

Heh Gang! Just got my machine and it's up and running well. One of the things that is taking me time is knowing how much I can get on a tray. Like eggs. I know now that I can do 18 eggs per tray, medium eggs, hens just started laying a month ago. And I am tracking my times on things. 3 bananas per tray...

I think I've read every post on Part 1 and Part 2 and I've not seen anything to give me clues. I've searched the internet and not seen much either. Did I miss it? Just a simple list with total batch time would be helpful too. How many apples? That way I will know how much to buy, beg or borrow!

Oh, by the way, tray holds 1 quart of colostrum, and I would assume milk too.

Edited by EweLady (log)

I am not sure, I can buy freeze dried but I don't know the loss of IG. I am calling around to see who has a tester. I've read that 50% could be lost, in that case just halve the water. But there may be no loss. Currently we deal with it frozen but it's slow to thaw and when you need it it's usually an emergency so it would be much faster to have it in the freeze dried state. And of course you can NOT microwave it. And I'd have more room for food in the freezer!

Edited by EweLady add a word! NOT~~~ (log)

10 minutes ago, chefmd said:

@EweLady Ahem, how do you use freeze dried colostrum?

I was afraid to ask!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

LOL, I guess I should have specified it was cow colostrum! For the lambs I add yogurt to the mix to increase the fats. But this batch is from a good Jersey cow.

I do a lot smoking of meats, briskets mostly. Is there any change in flavor, should I be careful of certain woods? Anyone done much with smoked meats?

A colostrum update... well it didn't re-hydrate well. The fat stayed as fats. Globs of butter which would never pass through a nipple on a lamb bottle. Additionally the quality tested below average. Not worth all those hours for sure unless I can figure out a way to break up the butter.

But, pulled pork is amazing! I had smoked two pork butts on Saturday for a cookout on Sunday and ended up with quite a bit left. Which I sort of planned on. Froze a bunch but decided to try two trays as an experiment. Two trays of meatballs (halved, something I think I saw mentioned on this forum) because I got them at a bargain and the two trays of meatballs took about 22 hours. I lost track of the time because I freaked out when I found it was done when I got up!!! And the trays had turned back to ice. So I set it to dry for an hour and everything was fine.

Yeah.  I pulled some smoked beef brisket (chopped) out yesterday.  Just amazing.  I am keeping some in smaller pouches for snacks while on long road trips.

Oh, I did do some heavy whipping cream.  It came out goofy, much like your colostrum.  I would love to find out how to get it to come right, but it may not be possible. What if I mix it with water first!!! haha.  just kidding.

Excellent news! Harvest Right now offers an oil free scroll pump. They were testing a couple when I went through the facility in Utah - I had told them about mine and they decided they needed to find a way to add one to their options that wasn't outrageously expensive - looks like they have succeeded. It's around $1500 - which is very reasonable compared to the industrial ones out there. I think I paid close to that for the used one I purchased from e-bay. 

• Like 1

Haven't fired up the freeze dryer for a while (noisy even with the scroll pump) - but @Alleguede showed up the other day with 5 lbs of frozen raspberries that are apparently required for the upcoming workshop (at least that's how he sold it). 48 hours later - all freeze dried.

• Like 6

• Similar Content

• By RioRichard
      Hi. Found this forum via a search engine regarding home freeze drying.  Thanks for adding me to the community.
      We are about 6 weeks into exploring this addictive process and try to run it as often as possible with a variety of meats, vegetables and other good stuff (lets not forget ice cream sandwiches).
      Located in the Little Rock, AR area. Looking forward to sharing experiences.
    • By Mr. Mike
      CALLING ALL FREEZE DRYER OWNERS:

Project: Freeze Drying: A Quick reference guide for Tips, Hints and FAQ’s for Freeze Drying. i.e. Collector document.

As part of trying to organize all the different questions and topic discussed, I made a proposal to organize the different topics for new and seasoned owners for their results and experiences in using our freeze dryers.

We have support from the higher ups for organization, editing and posting this Freeze Drying Reference Guide.

Food drying is ONE of many topics that will be addressed in this reference guide.

Next: an outline for the Food drying results section.

Mr. Mike

• By Teppy
      Well, I've been trolling eBay for a while now, and finally found one of these beasts in good condition at a reasonable price. Now the fun starts...
      I'm brainstorming ideas on what to do with it. Gourmet astronaut ice cream? Crispy cheesecake? Some weird variant on beef jerky?
      What else?
    • By Kerry Beal
      I'm a bit of a food geek - I've got a lab background and often fall back on familiar lab equipment for various projects that I'm playing with.  I have an extensive collection of graduated cylinders, beakers, flasks, thermometers, refractometers...  

Back in 2006 I purchased a used lab vacuum microwave from e-bay - cost me somewhere in the range of a hundred bucks.  Never did get it to work the way I had hoped though.

I've been watching freeze driers on e-bay for about 10 years - seriously considered a couple of them - but they were rather huge - would have taken up the better part of the garage.  They were also 220 V.  I have 220 in my chocolate room - but there is a limit to the number of things I can plug in there.  Also some had been used to freeze dry dead animals - which I didn't think would provide me with a food safe unit!

Back in early August Ninagluck posted about a Sosa product called Airbag - it's pork skin granules that you use as breading.  That got me started looking at freeze driers again.

I discovered that a company in Utah was making a home unit - 110V - about the size of a small freezer.  Well - conveniently Chocolot lives in Utah and it just so happened she was heading to the area the day after I contacted her - so off she went to check this out for me.  She was sent home with some samples of things they had dried that she then dipped in chocolate and returned to them.  

Pictures arrived - contacts were made - and the rest is history.  Chocolot has been back there several times - getting the fellows who manufacture the units to freeze dry different products that she wants to play with.  Bet it won't be long before she has one too!

It arrived on Wednesday - hubby took it down to his workshop and unpacked it.  I had to wait until Friday to grab a cart from Uline to put it on - 'cause after hubby saw it he decided the cart I had earmarked for it was not suitable!  Today finally he adjusted the door which had gone off a little in transport, hooked up the vacuum pump, pulled out the drain hose from it's hiding spot.  There are a couple more things he needs to do with it before he will release it into my care.  So with any luck by tomorrow afternoon I can start on my first project. 

Hubby working on the vacuum pump.

The innards.

The trays.

In the next post I'm going to explain a bit about the theory of freeze drying - but I'm hoping this thread will serve as a bit of a journal of my experiments - and I hope others might jump in if they get bitten as badly as me.  I think it would be a good place to talk about commercial freeze dried products as well.  

• By Harky
      I'm having trouble finding these from the Texturas line from El Bulli (there's a couple recipes with them I want to make from www.albertyferranadria.com). Are the Lyo-Sabores just freeze dried fruit? Or do they use a different process?