Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

You might be a cocktail snob/geek if...

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#91 notahumanissue

notahumanissue
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

...you keep sending frantic emails to your brother who just moved to Germany, hassling him to send a package of Bitter Truth. He replies, "dude, I have a new job, i'm kinda busy, gimme some time," but that's not really good enough. He never loved you anyway, the bum.

...you leave the East Village and move to Red Hook, partially to save money, but mostly you're just lying to everyone -- you want to be within walking distance of LeNells.

...you only sign a year lease because, well, the store might be gone next summer.

edit: public school education.

Edited by notahumanissue, 15 August 2007 - 07:31 AM.

#92 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

Oh heavens, how funny it is to a straight- ahead scotch and soda//Negroni/Gibson  kind of girl.

View Post

You read that and think, "Yeah. You go, girl. Negronis rock."

View Post

Negronis rule. Now, take my quiz.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#93 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

1.) Who doesn’t rock out to “She blinded me with science”? Huh Who? 39.

2.) Everything but Dark Side. The Wall was first album I ever bought. The year it came out, 1979.

3.) White pompadour. Lots and Lots and not stopping soon.

4.) Not William Powell…yet, but a boy need’s aspirations. Myrna, Yum. Wore a tie yesterday. Pink, City of London. Double Windsor.

5.) Yup, all savory all the time. But can’t bake to save my life. I should try again and picture the measuring cup as a big, misshapen jigger.

6.) Blew up my chemistry set. No dog since childhood. Almost killed the next-door neighbors dog when I found Mercury and the gasoline, motor oil, weed killer, and a few other things in the garage. Mixed it in a Flying saucer sled. Chef (Dad) was none too pleased.

&.) With a name like Maloney it still gets me in trouble, or is that the rum? Or is it the combo? The lovely, lovely combo.

9.) Seriously, frighteningly high. Thank God I still don’t think that Chocolate ice cream and Doritos is the ultimate tasty treat.

10,) Living well is the best revenge!!! They deserve an eternity of tasteless libations for all the ass kicking’s they administered. My ghost of a mohawk is flipping them the bird.

Toby

Edited due to Wondriching.

Edited by Alchemist, 15 August 2007 - 01:29 PM.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

#94 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:34 PM

When you offer to fabricate a few hundred petition signatures to support said project.

View Post

seconded.

#95 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:36 PM

I can't believe I haven't read this topic before.  Oh heavens, how funny it is to a straight- ahead scotch and soda//Negroni/Gibson  kind of girl. The less fuss and the strongest whiff of hooch the better, for me.

I know several charming and smart lady mixologists, but I believe that this truly belongs to geeky men. You've all revealed your depths and heights of cocktail nuttiness here, but allow an outsider to make some stupidly stereotypical remarks. With deep affection.

1) Fondness for Thomas Dolby if you're over 50.
2) Pink Floyd, ditto.
3) Um, grey ponytail? Tatoos?
4) Not William Powell in the Thin Man. Last time you wore a tie was at a funeral.
5)If you cook, you tend to be a savory dude, not a pastry dude. (There are exceptions.)
6)You loved your chemistry set. And your dog.
&)Beer got you into a lot of trouble, back in the day.
9)In high school you either loved trig or were seriously high.
10) It really is the revenge of the nerds. The star quarterback in high school is drinking Grey Goose and soda. Geez.

I love you guys.

View Post

you obviously haven't met me :wink:

#96 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

when you taste a sample of the creme yvette reproduction in progress last night and excitedly email all your friends...including mostly non-cocktail geek ones.

#97 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

I can't believe I haven't read this topic before.  Oh heavens, how funny it is to a straight- ahead scotch and soda//Negroni/Gibson  kind of girl. The less fuss and the strongest whiff of hooch the better, for me.

I know several charming and smart lady mixologists, but I believe that this truly belongs to geeky men. You've all revealed your depths and heights of cocktail nuttiness here, but allow an outsider to make some stupidly stereotypical remarks. With deep affection.

2) Pink Floyd, ditto.
4) Not William Powell in the Thin Man. Last time you wore a tie was at a funeral.
5)If you cook, you tend to be a savory dude, not a pastry dude. (There are exceptions.)
10) It really is the revenge of the nerds. The star quarterback in high school is drinking Grey Goose and soda. Geez.

I love you guys.

View Post

I'll bite.

1. who?
2. sure...but I'm 32.
3. no and no.
4. as with many of my NY ilk...sartorial obsessiveness comes with the territory...so, heck no! there's a Prada sample sale starting on Monday (seriously).
5. correct.
6. dog.
7. only unintended progeny in every port....
8. I can count...you can't.
9. neither.
10. nope, started on the high school b-ball team.

#98 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

2) Pink Floyd, ditto.

1) Well, I was a bit fond of Thomas Dolby in the 80s. Still only 42.
2) OD'd on the Floyd in High School. Now only when Syd was still with them.
3) Uh, not too grey and never a ponytail.
4) Thin, but I prefer my Martinis stirred to a waltz time. Last time I wore a tie was to the Fat Duck.
5)Yep, though I do OK with pizza and other yeast doughs.
6)I did love my chemistry set and insect collection. Dogs are OK. Have a cat now.
&)Mmmm... Beer! More cocktail bars need great, local microbrews.
9)Nope and nope. Music nerd and school paper photographer.
10) While the star quarterback does seem to be drinking French Martinis or Grey Goose and Cran, I can't say most of the cocktail people I've met are particularly nerdy. While there are a few of us who are actual nerds; obsessed, particular, and detail-oriented autodidacts seems a more accurate description of the greater population.

Edited by eje, 15 August 2007 - 02:41 PM.

---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#99 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

8.  I can count...you can't.

Blushing to the roots of my hair. Blame it on the Negronis.

Ok, 7) is your free choice. Name your own idiosyncratic harbinger of cocktail geekdom. Can you find a shared characteristic with your cocktail confreres?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#100 Amarantha

Amarantha
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

5.) Yup, all savory all the time. But can’t bake to save my life.  I should try again and picture the measuring cup as a big, misshapen jigger.

YMBACS/GI... you frequently use your jigger as a measuring cup whilst cooking :wink:
There Will Be Bloody Marys

#101 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

5.) Yup, all savory all the time. But can’t bake to save my life.  I should try again and picture the measuring cup as a big, misshapen jigger.

YMBACS/GI... you frequently use your jigger as a measuring cup whilst cooking :wink:

View Post

Or, on the other hand, your jigger is gathering dust since you discovered that your Oxo mini angled measuring cup is perfect for cocktails.

Edited by jmfangio, 15 August 2007 - 09:42 PM.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#102 eje

eje
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:26 PM

...you skip lunch and take the train downtown to pick up the Batavia Arrack you special ordered before it became available in your state.
---
Erik Ellestad
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...
Bernal Heights, SF, CA

#103 Mayur

Mayur
  • participating member
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:12 PM

...you skip lunch and take the train downtown to pick up the Batavia Arrack you special ordered before it became available in your state.

View Post

Guilty.

Insert "Creme de Violette," "Noilly Prat Ambre," "Amer Picon," "Suze," etc etc.

Every one of those has its own associated train ride and workday shirking.

Yeah, one really does involve oneself in too much craziness....

Edited by Mayur, 18 September 2007 - 04:13 PM.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

#104 jmfangio

jmfangio
  • participating member
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:51 PM

...you raise your own chickens so you'll have fresh eggs for cocktails?

The NY Times has a piece today on city dwellers who raise their own chickens, and gives a shout out to LeNell Smothers, and includes a recipe for the Ramos Fizz. Here's a link to the article, but this is the money quote:

One notable exception is LeNell Smothers, 36, a liquor store owner in Red Hook, Brooklyn. She keeps six hens in her backyard and drops their eggs (whites, yolks or both) into cocktails like whiskey sours; Mae Wests; Ramos gin fizzes; and a drink a friend invented called the Good Humor — a blend of cream, egg yolk and the Italian aperitif Aperol. Unlike most chicken farmers, Ms. Smothers names her hens after family members. (“I’ll probably slaughter them myself,” she said.)

I don't know how to top that. Take up glassblowing so you can make your own cocktail glasses?

Edited by jmfangio, 20 September 2007 - 08:00 AM.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

#105 bostonapothecary

bostonapothecary
  • participating member
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:19 PM

...you raise your own chickens so you'll have fresh eggs for cocktails?

The NY Times has a piece today on city dwellers who raise their own chickens, and gives a shout out to LeNell Smothers, and includes a recipe for the Ramos Fizz.  Here's a link to the article, but this is the money quote:

One notable exception is LeNell Smothers, 36, a liquor store owner in Red Hook, Brooklyn. She keeps six hens in her backyard and drops their eggs (whites, yolks or both) into cocktails like whiskey sours; Mae Wests; Ramos gin fizzes; and a drink a friend invented called the Good Humor — a blend of cream, egg yolk and the Italian aperitif Aperol. Unlike most chicken farmers, Ms. Smothers names her hens after family members. (“I’ll probably slaughter them myself,” she said.)

View Post

that is so cool... nothing like a newly laid egg.
abstract expressionist beverage compounder
creator of acquired tastes
bostonapothecary.com

#106 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

For reasons beyond your controll you end up at a fast food joint where they hand you an empty 70oz plastic cup and point you towards the soda fountain. You step up and add ice. There is too much so you shake some out. You want a cola base with hints of citrus, tropical fruit and prune. So in goes the Coke, with a splash of "pink lemonade" , a sploosh of whatever that orange pop is... and a float of Dr. Pepper. Ahhhh, refreshment at the freeway oasis.

Then you try to figure out what rye should be added if you wern't driving.

Edited for HC7.

Edited by Alchemist, 07 October 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#107 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

For reasons beyond your controll you end up at a fast food joint where they hand you an empty 70oz plastic cup and point you towards the soda fountain.  You step up and add ice.  There is too much so you shake some out.  You want a cola base with hints of citrus, tropical fruit and prune.  So in goes the Coke, with a splash of "pink lemonade" , a sploosh of whatever that orange pop is... and a float of Dr. Pepper.  Ahhhh, refreshment at the freeway oasis.

Edited for HC7.

View Post

Beautiful.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#108 Nathan

Nathan
  • participating member
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

For reasons beyond your controll you end up at a fast food joint where they hand you an empty 70oz plastic cup and point you towards the soda fountain.  You step up and add ice.  There is too much so you shake some out.  You want a cola base with hints of citrus, tropical fruit and prune.  So in goes the Coke, with a splash of "pink lemonade" , a sploosh of whatever that orange pop is... and a float of Dr. Pepper.  Ahhhh, refreshment at the freeway oasis.

Edited for HC7.

View Post

we did this as kids...the resulting libation is called "Swampwater"

#109 avant-garde

avant-garde
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:02 AM

Edited for HC7.

View Post

we did this as kids...the resulting libation is called "Swampwater"

View Post

Ha! In little league we called it a suicide. The thought of all that sugar now makes me tired.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry
http://thehopry.com/

#110 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • participating member
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I just found this on eater and was suprised what a little comment can generate.

http://eater.com/arc...nst_jiggers.php

I have worked with jiggers for many many years, and I like them. In a serious establishment like M&H, D&C and the like they are needed. In a divey kinds of bar not so much.

I guess you would be a cocktail geek if you changed what you order to drink by if the bartender has a jigger in his paw.

Toby

#111 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

You might be a cocktail geek if...
...while trying to decide what cocktail you want to have, you have to mix (or order) an easy "preliminary" drink to sip on while you think of what you really want.

...you select a cocktail based on the kind of bitters you're in the mood for.

...when you make an entry in your log book of cocktails you've tried, you make sure to note not only the name of the drink and your personal rating, but which book it came from.

...you keep a log book of cocktails you've tried :hmmm:
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#112 TMFIII

TMFIII
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

. . . you ask for a flight of house made bitters.
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

#113 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Your web browser bookmarks look like this:

Posted Image

(though I'm sure I'm not the worst example)
Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

#114 TMFIII

TMFIII
  • participating member
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

You enter a local cocktail contest and in your recipe you tell them where to buy the bitters specified.

Then, you actually take your own personal bottle of the specific bitters for the bartenders to use during the competition . . .

Yep, that was me last night! BIG OLE COCKTAIL NERD!

:raz:

Cheeers,
Marshall
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

#115 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

-When you wish that silverware/barware manufacturers made higher quality cocktail spoons, in sterling silver.

#116 John Rosevear

John Rosevear
  • participating member
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

Or, on the other hand, your jigger is gathering dust since you discovered that your Oxo mini angled measuring cup is perfect for cocktails.

...so perfect, in fact, that the measurement markings are wearing off and the plastic is getting battered from overuse, prompting you to replace it with the stainless steel version.
John Rosevear
"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

#117 vice

vice
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

...so perfect, in fact, that the measurement markings are wearing off and the plastic is getting battered from overuse, prompting you to replace it with the stainless steel version.

Oh, the markings will wear off the stainless one, too (the grooves are still there, of course, but the paint is waning). Still, I'd happily buy another, and will have to soon.
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#118 Busboy

Busboy
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

If you go to a hip, new cocktail bar, look at the fruit bowl prominently displayed mid-bar, and think, "they really need to get rid of those grocery store apples and get something from the farmers market."
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

#119 Shamanjoe

Shamanjoe
  • participating member
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

..The home screen of your iPhone is nothing but cocktail apps, and those pesky "phone" features are relegated to the next screen.

..Your coworker says she likes Mai Tai's, and you ask her if it contains pineapple juice and grenadine, then laugh when she says yes and tell her that's not a Mai Tai.
"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

#120 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

photo-1.jpg

This is the home screen of your iPhone. (from here)
PS: I am a guy.