Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Food and the City

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#271 Katie Nell

Katie Nell
  • participating member
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

This dinner was fantastic.  It was the perfect accompaniment to GG, and it was delicious.  I don't know why I don't do this more often.

View Post

Damn Logan! :angry:

Sorry to see your blog go Megan! I felt like I had someone to watch GG with! :smile:
"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

#272 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

This dinner was fantastic.  It was the perfect accompaniment to GG, and it was delicious.  I don't know why I don't do this more often.

View Post

Sorry to see your blog go Megan! I felt like I had someone to watch GG with! :smile:

View Post

Eh...I'm kinda sick of Logan...I feel like everything about him was an excuse to have all sorts of fantasy enter into a relatively grounded world. Birkin bags, weekend trips to MV, a ridiculous apartment...I've never really liked him, and I like it best when Lorelai and Rory appear together. We shall see!

Hey, I watch every week - so I'm still with you! :wink:

ETA: And, more importantly, I'm almost sure to be eating something I shouldn't, as per Lorelai's eating habits, so feel free to join me in that, too! :laugh:

Edited by Megan Blocker, 28 February 2006 - 08:18 PM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan
eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

#273 MarketStEl

MarketStEl
  • participating member
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

I realized on the way home tonight that I didn't have any sliced bacon - only the lardons I use for carbonara.  So I stopped off at Schaller and Weber, at 86th and 2nd, to pick some up!

Posted Image

In addition to a great butcher counter and some really fun German speciality foods, this place has, hands-down, the most outrageous windows in the neighborhood.

Posted Image

Steins, sausages, stuffed animals...and my favorite, the swinging garden gnome.

Posted Image

They also have a delightfully 70's-flavored, kitschy interior.  Check out that light fixture! :shock: :laugh:

Posted Image

I went inside and right up to the counter, where I ordered a quarter pound of sliced bacon.  Ooooh, so good.

Posted Image

View Post

Finally, something German from your 'hood.

I knew a fellow--a friend of a roommate--who lived at 151 East 83d back in the early 80s and took a keen interest in many things German (he was himself German-American).

It was he who told me that this particular part of the UES was also known as "Yorkville" and had historically been a largely German community.

I'm guessing that's not so much the case now, but I may be wrong about that.
Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia
"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen
My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

#274 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

I'm in love with the idea of the little cheese shop and the Italian deli with the real Italian meats/cheeses/products.  Are there any of these convenient to you that you can work in?  Also, is frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity too "touristy" these days?  Any chances of gaining kitchen tours of your favorite eateries?

View Post

Don't know about kitchen tours, but I'll do my best!

As for a little Italian market - there certainly are places like this in the city! My neighborhood is historically German/Austrian/Hungarian, so we don't have a whole lot of Italian spots. But an ethnic market is definitely on the schedule. :smile:

View Post

Finally, something German from your 'hood.

I knew a fellow--a friend of a roommate--who lived at 151 East 83d back in the early 80s and took a keen interest in many things German (he was himself German-American).

It was he who told me that this particular part of the UES was also known as "Yorkville" and had historically been a largely German community.

I'm guessing that's not so much the case now, but I may be wrong about that.

Hey, Sandy.

As I mentioned in that earlier post, yes, the neighborhood is historically German, Hungarian, and Austrian. A lot of that flavor has left (apparently 86th Street used to be stuffed to bursting with German restaurants), but there are still glimpses here and there. We have Heidelberg, an authentic German restaurant (great beer, great schnitzel), which is two doors down from S&W, and a Hungarian restaurant called Andre's Cafe just opened on 2nd between 84th and 85th - it was mentioned in an Op-Ed about cabbage streudel by Nora Ephron. :smile:

Edited by Megan Blocker, 28 February 2006 - 08:31 PM.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#275 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:33 PM

All righty, folks. I'm off to bed, but I'll be back tomorrow for the traditional wrap-up and goodbye. Thanks so much for spending this past week with me - blogging has been more rewarding for me than I would ever have expected.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#276 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:36 PM

I won't be around when you wake up, Megan, so I'll say it now. Thank you for the tours, the great writing, the great fun! It's been a wonderful blog!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#277 Safran

Safran
  • participating member
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:29 AM

Megan, this was just too cool....I like the way you pace yourself, the ease with which you include the little things of daily life into your blog. I feel not like a voyeur but more like a traveling companion. You definitely have the touch! Thank you so very much and, hopefully, we'll travel again together in blogland in the future.

Safran

#278 Kevin72

Kevin72
  • society donor
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:58 AM

I'd imagine this thread will close soon, so I need to throw in my compliments on what a fantastic job you've done, and I've only just made it to Page 6 so far (these things always move so fast!). Thanks for the tour of the great city you live in; I can't believe how much you fit into your blog! Great job.

#279 srhcb

srhcb
  • legacy participant
  • 2,918 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:19 AM

I've been to New York City just once, and that was under strained circumstances, and only know a few people who actually lived there. I never really understood the attraction until I followed this blog.

For the right type of person, (being young and eager helps :wink: ), New York must be like "condensed life". It's not my style, but I can appreciate it.

Bravo, brave and stalwart Megan! :biggrin:

#280 racheld

racheld
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:01 AM

Thank you again, Megan, Dear, for the tour. Following your Size Fours through the lovely labyrinth was akin to a weeklong "I'm Flyyyyyy-ing" after Peter through the clouds. We've seen where you live and work and shop and browse, where your life pulses and encompasses and finds meaning, where your heart is.

And a generous and gracious heart it is, sharing great bites and sweet slurps of that fabled Big Apple with all of us who eagerly partake of the sounds and colors and tastes through your eyes and words.

Your forays and wanderings and sidetrips are akin to magic, because of your happy outlook and your eager anticipation for the next adventure. This has been just a lovely week, and we're all so glad to be your companions. Thank you for the invitation.

rachel

PS Are our Golden Tickets valid for the next excursion? :wub:
Fairy tea has its own magic, for it never does run out;
And the flavour you imagine will come streaming from the spout.
Fairy Tea

My Blog--Thanksgiving and Goodwill

LAWN TEA

#281 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

View Post

View Post

I swear I was expecting to hear Logan say “we were on a break"! Gee, they ripped that right off from Ross and Rachel.

Getting back on topic, that dinner looked so good. I never even think of having breakfast for dinner. I don’t usually have that type of breakfast for breakfast, so having it for dinner is a great idea. And what a lovely hot chocolate.

Thanks again for sharing your New York with us. It was a lot of fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading of your travels throughout the city.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#282 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:39 AM

:smile: I see you reading the blog, Megan! <I always get the urge to wave at the folks visiting a thread at the same time as me!> Well, Megan, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, and everyone else has expressed so well how glad we are to have had a visit with you in the UES of NYC this week, so I'll keep it as short as my typing-as-fast-than-I-can-think fingers will allow...
Thank you! Brava!
And, WOW, you've got the market on high energy and happy attitude covered!
Kiddle and I are shopping for pasta bowls shaped like yours this week... UM, I didn't need an excuse to shop, you know. :wink:
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#283 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

Thanks for blogging, Megan. New York, New York. The town so nice they named it twice. Megan's blog is so nice, we should all thank her twice!

#284 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Megan,

You are the WOMAN!!  Wow, hungover and you hit the ground running.
Cheers :biggrin:

View Post

Who said she was hungover? She may have taken this. :raz:

View Post

No way, Doc - I'm telling you, Diet Coke - it's a girl's best friend. Sometimes I like it even more than diamonds.

Very rarely, but sometimes. :wink:

View Post

Megan,

Have you tried Diet Dr. Pepper.. I dislike soda and I like this stuff..If you are a big soda person, this is worth a try..

View Post

Thanks for the recommendation, Daniel! I don't love Diet Dr. Pepper's slightly stronger, tangier flavor, but it hits the spot every once in a while.

I had a friend in college, Kim, who was as addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper as I am to Diet Coke. Kim was the best person to have a class with...she was two years ahead of me and was a math major, so we only took one class together - an English class focused on the novels of Jane Austen. Surprisingly, yes, there were men in the class, too. :wink:

I would bring the sodas, and Kim would bring the candy - she never went anywhere without candy - and we would surreptitiously sip and nibble throughout. Oh, goodness, that was such fun. :biggrin:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#285 birder53

birder53
  • participating member
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the great blog! I have memories of The Heidelberg from 1976. My mother had ordered a black forest cake from them for a party. My soon to be husband and I headed up there the morning of the party to pick op the cake. We were so overwhelmed by the wonderful aromas from the bakery that we decided to have some coffee and apple strudel. What I'll never forget was the coffee. We were used to restaurants refilling a coffee cup as needed. When we asked for more coffee, they didn't top off the cup, they took away the cups we were using and brought fresh cups to the table. They also charged us for each new cup! We figured that it must be the German way. We took our cake and never went back!

Thanks for the great trip through NYC. I'm very tempted to visit and eat my way through the town.
KathyM

#286 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

:smile: I see you reading the blog, Megan! <I always get the urge to wave at the folks visiting a thread at the same time as me!> Well, Megan, you know that I'm a big fan of yours, and everyone else has expressed so well how glad we are to have had a visit with you in the UES of NYC this week, so I'll keep it as short as my typing-as-fast-than-I-can-think fingers will allow...
Thank you! Brava!
And, WOW, you've got the market on high energy and happy attitude covered!
Kiddle and I are shopping for pasta bowls shaped like yours this week... UM, I didn't need an excuse to shop, you know. :wink:

View Post

Yes, you caught me! I'm trying to make sure I've answered all the questions before the thread closes! :laugh:

Thank you, Rebecca. And I do loooove those bowls. They're from Pottery Barn, and I picked them up for less then $2 each, since the pattern was being discontinued. But you can find ones that look like them all over the place, and probably in far more interesting colors. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker, 01 March 2006 - 07:50 AM.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#287 FabulousFoodBabe

FabulousFoodBabe
  • participating member
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for the ride, Ms. Megan. It's been a pleasure.

:wub:
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

#288 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

... I do loooove those bowls.  They're from Pottery Barn,...

View Post

We had similar lavender bowls from PB clearance, but 2 got broken and we eBayed the remaining 2! :sad: Sometimes I'm a little too quick with the eBay, it's true! Megan, Megan (NY, NY) I'm thanking you twice, your sunny disposition is a joy to be around!
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#289 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

I have memories of The Heidelberg from 1976.  My mother had ordered a black forest cake from them for a party.  My soon to be husband and I headed up there the morning of the party to pick op the cake.  We were so overwhelmed by the wonderful aromas from the bakery that we decided to have some coffee and apple strudel.  What I'll never forget was the coffee.  We were used to restaurants refilling a coffee cup as needed.  When we asked for more coffee, they didn't top off the cup, they took away the cups we were using and brought fresh cups to the table.  They also charged us for each new cup!  We figured that it must be the German way.  We took our cake and never went back!

View Post

That's why I drink the beer. :laugh:

Thanks for the hilarious tale, Birder!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#290 Sugarella

Sugarella
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:54 AM

Thanks once again Megan....I really enjoyed this one. I've read a few bits of blogs here and there but none of them have grabbed me from the start and held me the way yours did. Like Safran said, you really do have the touch! I hope we hear more blogging from you soon. :smile:

#291 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

Woo hoo, party on. Megan we should have drinks @ pegu to celebrate the closing of your fantastic blog.

( I will be sure to drink water, as I always do at pegu :cool: )
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#292 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

Water with really nifty ice cubes. :wink:

Rebecca, I did a little poking around and found these bowls at Crate and Barrel that are somewhat similar to my pasta bowls...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

#293 Fresser

Fresser
  • participating member
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Megan,

Cute Feet!

View Post

View Post

What, no toe cleavage? :rolleyes:

I was also hoping for a picture or two from Lobel's.
There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

#294 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Posted Image

Megan,

Cute Feet!

View Post

View Post

View Post

Fresser, I'm here to tell ya, Manhatten is COLD this time of year! :laugh:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#295 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

hey Megan, I am just now getting a chance to read your fabulous blog!! I'm not done yet but wanted to let you know that I think your writing and photography are tops! Thanks for working so hard on this, it's wonderful!

#296 little ms foodie

little ms foodie
  • participating member
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Posted Image

Megan,

Cute Feet!

SB :cool:

View Post

Thanks, Steve! Cute feet are one of the few good things about being 5'3". :laugh: That and not having to duck under low-hanging branches.

And, Rebecca, I always believed you were a woman of impeccable tastes, and my suspicions have now been confirmed. :wink:

View Post

soooo funny, I have them too but mine are brown and orange. Excellent shoe tastes!

#297 Priscilla

Priscilla
  • participating member
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:36 PM

Megan, your blog is an inspiring breath of fresh air. You definitely should be thanked the proverbial twice!

Priscilla

~Observing Taco Friday since 2010~

Twitter InstagramOCFoodNation.com Orange Coast Magazine

#298 onehsancare

onehsancare
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

This has been WONDERFUL!! I have been entranced--and, like many ahead of me, feel like I've just spent a week with a friend.

Thank you!!
Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

#299 onehsancare

onehsancare
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

Now, the crass question :huh: --how much was the tasting dinner at Babbo?
Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

#300 Megan Blocker

Megan Blocker
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

Megan,

Cute Feet!

View Post

View Post

View Post

Fresser, I'm here to tell ya, Manhatten is COLD this time of year! :laugh:

View Post

Sorry, Fresser...I'm not really a Lobel's girl... :wink:

You'll be happy to know there was toe cleavage on Friday night...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog