Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Asian Noodle Soups--Cook-Off 18

Cookoff

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

Every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off. Click here for the Cook-Off index.

For our eighteenth Cook-Off, we're making Asian noodle soups. We're talking about Vietnamese pho, bun bo hue, and hu tieu, Chinese niu rou mian, Phillipino mami, Japanese tonkotsu and miso ramen, Korean kuksu... and dozens more. If it's Asian soup and it has noodles in it, then you've got a Cook-Off dish!

If you ask me, it's taken a bit too long for the Cook-Off to get here, given that there's a movie devoted to the subject (Tampopo), that the dish of pho is likely one of the big eGullet go-to foods (see, for example, the adopted comfort foods thread, where pho makes regular appearances), and that a noodle soup, well prepared, is a thing of beauty, care, and warmth. (Of course, if you're like me, you've also had a lot of noodle soups, poorly prepared -- but gussying up your Sapporo Ichiban is a subject for this thread, and not our Cook-Off, deal? :wink:)

When preparing Asian noodle soups, there are three distinct and crucial components: the stock or broth; the noodles themselves; the accompaniments or other ingredients. I'm hoping we can share strategies and tips for the first and the last here -- but if there are any noodle makers out there, please do chime in, as we all would find that art fascinating.

No surprise that other Society members have paved the way for our efforts here. There are threads devoted to Ramen and to Tonkotsu Ramen broth, ruminations about pho, Chinese beef noodle soup (Niu Rou Mian), and guppymo's Vietnamese cooking, which starts off with Bun Bo Hue. Those approaching stock making with trepidation will find calmer nerves after perusing the eGCI stock course -- and Ah Leung (hzrt8w)'s directions for soup bone stock here are very useful for a Cantonese method.

Time to find some big bones and meat, some lemon grass and ginger, some rice or wheat noodles, and get cooking!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#2 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

Chris, let's not forget about the numerous Thai noodle soups -- bah mi nam, or Khao Soi.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#3 aznsailorboi

aznsailorboi
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

I"M INNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

#4 OnigiriFB

OnigiriFB
  • participating member
  • 495 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Oooo fun fun.. I'm game. Now what to cook, what to cook? *wanders off to ponder deep thoughts about Asian noodle soups*

#5 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:06 PM

Are instant packets allowable?

#6 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

Jack, say more. I'm confused.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#7 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

Perhaps he's referring to those Ramen noodles in a styrofoam cup where you just add hot water and a flavor packet and you've got instant asian noodle soup. :wink:
:laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#8 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

Exactly Tolliver.
Good standby. Much eaten by programmers and students. Any Asian supermarket will have lots of brightly coloured packets. Some are even quite decent.
Any favourites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen

Edited by jackal10, 18 January 2006 - 12:34 PM.

#9 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

That's what I thought -- and I anticipated that idea above:

(Of course, if you're like me, you've also had a lot of noodle soups, poorly prepared -- but gussying up your Sapporo Ichiban is a subject for this thread, and not our Cook-Off, deal? :wink:)

View Post

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#10 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:11 PM

Are instant packets allowable?

View Post

Yes, but not for soup making.

You may use them for anything else you please. :rolleyes:

#11 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

There are also all sorts of varieties of laksa, as you can see in the laksa thread.

#12 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:51 PM

Some of you may also want to try out the instructions in the Beef Noodle Soup, Niu Rou Mian thread in the China forum.

#13 Arianna

Arianna
  • participating member
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

oooh. i'm in! does tempura udon count? i've been meaning to try making that!

#14 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:16 AM

But of course!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#15 Grub

Grub
  • legacy participant
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

Well, I'm in on this one! These cook-offs were one of the first things that really fired me up, when I discovered egullet, and I'm always kicking myself for not taking part more often. I'd love doing Tampopo's ramen -- but unlike Bend It Like Beckham, the DVD doesn't have a special feature with a little cooking show... I've never done Asian noodles before.

How about some good recipes, please? I was planning on a Tom Yum soup this Sunday, but I'd much rather make it a noodle soup. And oh yeah -- what's the difference between Asian noodle soups, and Asian non-noodle soups (like Tom Yum)?

#16 BarbaraY

BarbaraY
  • participating member
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:37 AM

Count me in. I bought a package of Chinese noodles with the intention of making soup. Then this thread started. Works for me.

#17 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:39 AM

Well, I'm in on this one! These cook-offs were one of the first things that really fired me up, when I discovered egullet, and I'm always kicking myself for not taking part more often. I'd love doing Tampopo's ramen -- but unlike Bend It Like Beckham, the DVD doesn't have a special feature with a little cooking show... I've never done Asian noodles before.

How about some good recipes, please? I was planning on a Tom Yum soup this Sunday, but I'd much rather make it a noodle soup. And oh yeah -- what's the difference between Asian noodle soups, and Asian non-noodle soups (like Tom Yum)?

View Post

You can make Tom Yum soup with noodles. Its a variation found pretty frequently in Bangkok, actually.

Tom Yum with Noodles

http://members.virtu...m/m/p/m/10a15a/
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#18 miladyinsanity

miladyinsanity
  • participating member
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hmm... I really could just take pictures of every bowl of noodle soup--and I eat plenty bowls of noodle soup--with rough gauges of what was in the soup, as well as what noodles should go well with it.
May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

#19 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, sure. I'm in.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#20 Tepee

Tepee
  • participating member
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

No recipes needed.
TPcal!
Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

#21 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

Hmm...is there a time frame on this thing? Sounds like fun, and I'd love to give this a try, but need time to think about what to make.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#22 ellencho

ellencho
  • participating member
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

I made my own pho late last year. Here's the meez for the stock. There's oxtails, peppercorns, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, blackened onions and ginger. I then added salt and fish sauce afterwards (not pictured).
Posted Image

Here's the final product.
Posted Image

Do dumpling soups count as noodle soups? I made a chicken based broth for a won ton soup over the weekend.

Edited by ellencho, 19 January 2006 - 10:11 AM.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

#23 Daniel

Daniel
  • legacy participant
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:49 PM

A couple of days ago I made the Sichuan Hot Pot according to Land of Plenty.. I added, pork, beef, mushrooms, eggplant, bok choy and these japanese angel hair noodles.. It was very spicey.. I loved it.

Posted Image

Edited by Daniel, 19 January 2006 - 12:50 PM.

#24 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hmm...is there a time frame on this thing? 

View Post

Nope, Ictd. We're 24/7/365.25!

I made my own pho late last year. Here's the meez for the stock. There's oxtails, peppercorns, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, blackened onions and ginger. I then added salt and fish sauce afterwards (not pictured).

View Post

Ellen, that looks amazing. You must, must, must put the recipe into RecipeGullet for us. Please oh please! I'll even let you call dumplings noodles! :wink:
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#25 aznsailorboi

aznsailorboi
  • participating member
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Ooooh I was gonna make Pho too....but ellencho beat me to it. :angry: just kidding :laugh: I will still make it this weekend and I will include my step by step photo thingy hehe I'll try to make it look as good as hz8rt's photos.

I only use soup bones without meat on mine, coz it produces a clear broth than the ones made with bones with meat on it. but all the other ingredients are the same...charred onion and ginger, cinnamon, star anise, and cloves, and boiled for hours. :biggrin:
...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

#26 FatTony

FatTony
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

Ellen, I've never come across blackened onions. Can you elaborate?

#27 BarbaraY

BarbaraY
  • participating member
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

Last evening I made Beijing Noodle Soup from a recipe in Martin Yan's Culinary Journey Through China. Guess it was OK 'cause I had a bowl for breakfast.
I took photos but, for some reason, I can't get pics to upload to the computer.

I had a good supply of chicken bones saved in the freezer and made chicken broth with just garlic and ginger. It is beautiful, clear, yellow and there is enough for several more dishes.

The recipe calls for shrimp, and tender beef, chicken, or pork. I used a piece of beef tenderloin that was too small to to be called a steak.
Also called for dry mushrooms, napa cabbage, fresh noodles and various seasoning; soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, and sherry. Topped with finely cut strips of nori seaweed.
I did give it a sprinkle of Accent (sorry 'bout that but it doesn't bother us). Also used some finely cut green onion.

I had everything in the house so I didn't even have to make a special trip for supplies.

I'm sure I'll make it again but will put the noodles in the bowls instead of putting all of them into the soup at once. They got rather soggy over night

#28 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:38 AM

First, a pho find. Alford and Duguid's Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet tells us to char both the onion and the ginger to give the broth that added depth of flavor (along with the anise, cloves, and cinnamon).

I'm hoping to get out to the stores today to get the ingredients for the pho stock, and both recipes call for gravy or stew beef. I know that thinly sliced rump is the preferred meat to be served with pho bo -- but does anyone use that stewed beef, or is it just kaput?

edited to correct several errors -- but I kept the cheap alliteration joke -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault, 21 January 2006 - 07:05 AM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#29 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Two quick tips:

Don't have frozen stock in your freezer? Don't have the time or inclinition simmer bones? I like to make what I call a quick broth. Saute lots of spring onions in 1 tbsp of vegtable oil. Throw in a glug of dark soy and spread it rapidly around the pan with your wooden spoon, then after a few seconds, dump in a load of water. The hot pan caremalises the sugars in the soy and leads to a deep amber, complex and tasty soup base without hours of effort. Of course, adding stock at this point is also welcome but I always like to do the caremalisation step for any asian soup.

Second tip: If your adding in thinly sliced meat at the end, don't put it in straight away, it will overcook. Turn off the heat, add some leafy greens, stir and wait for 2 minutes, THEN add the (still slightly frozen) beef. Wait at least 5 minutes, the beef will look distressingly raw, but it will eventually come up to a perfect medium rare rather than be overdone.
PS: I am a guy.

#30 ellencho

ellencho
  • participating member
  • 581 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:04 AM

Ok, so I promise by the end of the weekend I'll have the pho recipe up. We're in the midst of house hunting so my head is sort of swirling right now.

All of the written recipes I've come across for pho, as well as those that I've encountered via friends call for blackened aromatics. I have no idea what pho would taste like without the blackened aromatics, but I think Duguid has a point about a certain depth of flavor. Blackening aromatics is easy. All you need is a fork/tongs and a flame. I suppose if you don't have a gas range, you can always use your broiler to blacken your onions and ginger.
Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookoff