Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Please help with cannele recipe

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#271 jgarner53

jgarner53
  • participating member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

I've tried to make canele for several times. first time it looks great. but after that, it always pop up so high, expanded, and stuck. I always baked at 180C/180C. maybe it's too low and I'm going to try 200 or 250C later.

Try pouring less batter in the mold. And baking around 180C should be fine.

why to chill the batter over night? what will happen if i don't chill it?
and when it comes out of the fridge, should I steer and mix the batter well. because there is a thick layer of butter floating on the batter.

Chilling the batter helps the flour to hydrate thoroughly. Just whisk the batter well before you start pouring (and if you are doing a lot, whisk it occasionally as you continue to pour). You can leave the batter out for an hour or so before you want to bake. This will let the butter chunks soften up some so they are easier to whisk in; otherwise you risk having them floating on top after you've poured the cannelés.
"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner
buttercream pastries

#272 BaconKing

BaconKing
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Great thread!!! I've been experimenting with Caneles for a couple of months now and after trying several recipes and a couple dozen attempts; Paula Wolferts recipe is the best one out there, IMHO. However, I mix all the ingredients a little differently. Using three bowls, I mix the sugar, flour, and salt, in one bowl. Then I mix the egg yolks, rum, and vanilla in the second bowl. In the third bowl I pour the hot milk over the very cold butter. I mix the egg mixture into the the dry flour/sugar mix and then pour the Milk/Butter mix into the flour/egg mix. Let it cool down to room temp and chill for 48 hours.

The best Caneles for me were baking in a convection oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 65 minutes. I also preheat my baking sheet with the oven while is coming up to temp. I also coated my mold with a 1:1 weight ratio of Beeswax to Unsalted butter.

Attached Images

• DSC00630.JPG
  • DSC00632.JPG

#273 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

BaconKing,

welcome to the eGullet forums! Those caneles look perfect, good crumb and crust both. It's a gorgeous debut post.

I need to find some canele molds and give them a try. There's a bakery near my house that makes decent caneles so I've had an excuse to be lazy about it. Plus I'm afraid of how many I'd eat.

#274 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

One of my students mentioned these in an essay (!) recently, piquing my interest.

I gather you an use silicon molds for these...has anybody tried that?

P.S. Oops, I see there is an extensive discussion starting p.3 of this topic.

Edited by helenjp, 05 June 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#275 coz

coz
  • participating member
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Has anyone compared Anne Willan's Canele recipe to Paula Wolfert's?

#276 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

My first try at baking these things-- I used the DeBuyer Silicon Molds!!

http://chezpim.com/b...e-recipe-method

I actually didnt use beeswax and coated the molds in Brown butter, WFIW.

Needs a little work-- but they are all gone!! Can you get that dark brown color with the silicon milds?

8333954206_f9767a10f9_h.jpg
Its good to have Morels