Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hoagies, Cheesesteaks, Pork Italiano

Italian

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#391 Andrew Fenton

Andrew Fenton
  • participating member
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

The inimitable Hawk Krall gives his list of the top 10 hoagies to try in Philadelphia. Definitely an interesting list; I've been to five of the places, and look forward to trying out the others...

#392 mrbigjas

mrbigjas
  • participating member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

The inimitable Hawk Krall gives his list of the top 10 hoagies to try in Philadelphia. Definitely an interesting list; I've been to five of the places, and look forward to trying out the others...

they followed it up with cheesesteaks and then a kind of catch-all roast pork, cutlets, meatballs, etc. article. Really enjoyable series.

#393 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Posted Image

Mufaletta from SHEETZ gas station of all places!

It was good.
Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#394 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Over the past few weeks meatball sandwiches have occasionally appeared on the menu at Dinic's at the Reading Terminal Market. Starting after the flower show the new sandwich will gain a permanent place among the offerings.

To make room, Dinic's will forgo the scallopine sandwiches, made from thin cuts of pork. Joe Nicolosi, who runs the stall with his father Tom, said they sell fewer than half a dozen scallopines daily.

Although a handful of other market lunch vendors sell meatballs, Dinic's is the only one made on premises -- all the others come from commercial suppliers, according to Joe.

For their meatballs the Nicolosis start out with a lean beef chuck, for about 70 percent of the weight. They make it succulent by using trimmings from their pork before it gets roasted for the roast pork and pulled pork sandwiches for the remaining 30 percent. They grind the meat at the store and also make their own sauce.

The meat balls were available today for lunch, but don't expect them once the flower show starts Saturday for a nine-day run: the thick crowds and demand for the pork sandwiches will take up all their available time.

Adam Richman Returns

Is Dinic's roast pork classic one of the 30 best sandwiches in the nation?

Adam Richman thinks so. He and a production crew from the Travel Channel were back at the Reading Terminal Market early last week watching Tom and Joe Nicolosi show how they prepare their fresh hams and other appurtenances that go into the sandwich.

Dinic's will be featured as one of three eateries on an epside of a new 10-show series highlighting the 30 top sandwiches. Episodes are scheduled to begin airing on the cable channel in June.

Richman got his first taste of Dinic's roast pork nearly three years ago when taping a segment for his Man Vs. Food show; in addition to repeats a re-edited version is part of his Amazing Eats episode on pork.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#395 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

In early March I reported that Adam Richman was back at the Reading Terminal Market to tape a segment at DiNic's for a new show: Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America. The show's first episode on June 6 (9 p.m., Travel Channel) will feature DiNic's in competition with Katz's Deli of the Lower East Side and Primanti Brothers of Pittsburgh.

Each episode will feature three competing sandwiches from a given region, with America's best crowned in the finale from among the 10 regional winners and two "wild cards" voted on by viewers. In the case of the June 6 installment, it's sandwiches of the Northeast.

For the first show Richman will sample Dinic's roast pork with aged provolone and peppers, forgoing the greens. Katz's entry will be a corned beef-pastrami combo on rye with cole slaw and Russian dressing. From Primanti's he'll try the Cap & Egg, a behemoth featuring capicola, runny egg, cole slaw, tomato and hand-cut french fries on sliced Italian bread.

That's pretty stiff competition for Dinic's, especially Katz's, where I usually go for the straight pastrami on rye with mustard. Nonetheless, Richman's combo is well-known to deli enthusiasts in New York and New Jersey. At one deli I frequented, the pastrami-CB with russian and slaw was known as the "No. 5" combo, where at another it was the "No. 4". Who's to quibble over a number, it's a great combo sandwich.

I've never been to Primanti's, though I'll have to add it to my wish list. Still, to me it sounds like the "Cap & Egg" looses it when you add the tomatoes, slaw and fries: not just simply too massive, but out of flavor balance.

So I think it will come down to a battle between DiNic's and Katz's. The conventional wisdom says Katz's -- by virtue of its celebrity, the "When Harry Met Sally" scene filmed there, and that fact that it's the New York City entry -- will run away with the prize for this episode.

While I love a good pastrami sandwich (and Katz's makes a great one), I'll be rooting for our local hero. The roast pork that Tom and Joe Nicolosi and crew concoct can go toe-to-toe with Katz's anytime. Their brisket and pulled pork aren't too shabby, either, and I've got friends who skip all of that in favor of the sausage with peppers.

The second episode, at 9:30 p.m. the same night, will be a battle of Gulf Coast sandwiches: a shrimp po' boy form New Orleans, and two entries from Tampa, a variation on the Cuban, and a Grouper reuben.

Robert's Market Report

#396 Mummer

Mummer
  • participating member
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I was in Pittsburgh recently & we hit the Primanti's near Oakmont. The best part of the visit was that they refilled our sodas. An overcooked, niggardly portion of hyped, fancy steak beneath a passel of flaccid fries could never create a legend. To our server's credit, the slaw is vinegary, not creamy.
Charlie, the Main Line Mummer
We must eat; we should eat well.

#397 ChrisOC

ChrisOC
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Makes me miss Philly. We do have a Primo her in Ocean City though. I love their Old Italian.
Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

#398 ChrisOC

ChrisOC
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

But we do have Sack O's
[IMG]http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/chrisoc_2008/100_1308.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

#399 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I was in Pittsburgh recently & we hit the Primanti's near Oakmont. The best part of the visit was that they refilled our sodas. An overcooked, niggardly portion of hyped, fancy steak beneath a passel of flaccid fries could never create a legend. To our server's credit, the slaw is vinegary, not creamy.

I've been several times and Primanti's remains a mystery to me. I think one must be drunk or otherwise impaired to appreciate their stuff.

#400 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Congrats to Tom and Joe Nicolosi, Carmen, Jun, Drew, Joanne and the rest of the great cre at DiNic's for taking Best Sandwich in America honors. And to John's Roast Pork and every other great sandwich in this city, the sandwich capital of the U S of A!

Robert's Market Report

#401 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

I se the DVR for this one. Still can't believe Richman didn't get to Paesano's. That would certainly have added a few more contenders into the mix. The Arista is pretty good too...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#402 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

"SUPPLIES VERY LIGHT. DEMAND EXCEEDS SUPPLY."

That's how the U.S. Department or Agriculture describes the drought-ravaged market for broccoli and broccoli rabe in the winter growing areas of Southern California and Arizona. The bitter green adorns many Italian-style roast pork sandwiches in Philadelphia.

It's hardly available at any price, and is likely to stay that way for four or five weeks, Iovine Brothers Produce was told by its primary supplier.

And that puts purveyors of the sandwich like Joe Nicolosi who operates Tommy Dinics at the Reading Terminal Market with his father in a quandry. Should he use another green, like Swiss chard? Or perhaps Chinese greens? Or maybe just forget about it until supplies in reasonable quantities resume.

With crowds expected to swamp Dinics beginning next weekend with the opening of the Philadelphia Auto Show across the street at the Convention Center, Dinics doesn't want to disappoint its cutomers. But there may be no choice.

Robert's Market Report

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian