Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Not drinking wine with dinner?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pan

Pan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

I'm curious to know if there are certain cuisines or dishes that you generally prefer to drink something other than wine with. I often find good chrysanthemum or jasmine tea the perfect accompaniment for Chinese food, enjoy Indian food with lassi or masala chai, and don't miss alcohol while having Yemeni spiced tea with a meal at Yemen Cafe on Atlantic Av. But then I'm only an occasional wine drinker.

#2 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:22 PM

Pan,

To be perfectly honest, I can't think of any cuisine that I would rather not enjoy with wine or beer. Yes, I like lassi with Indian food, but I also like a good riesling or beer. I found an Italian sauvignon blanc to be an excellent match with a cantonese seafood dinner. This is not to say that I would enjoy the meal with tea. Down south, I've had plenty of good meals with iced tea. But my preference would be for wine or beer.

#3 Eric Asimov

Eric Asimov
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:24 PM

one more thought....Kim Severson recently did a piece in the NYT about non-alcoholic cocktails. They sounded creative and delicious, and I wouldn't mind at all trying some of them!