Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Cook's Illustrated"

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 PopsicleToze

PopsicleToze
  • participating member
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:28 AM

Ditto!
That looks fantastic!! Love how the chocolate color contrasts with the lemon yellow.
Will follow suit on my next one -- and that's for Easter.
Thanks!! Will try to photo before eating.

#182 Bella S.F.

Bella S.F.
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

We made the boneless short rib recipe from Jan./Feb. C.I. It was very interesting. With all of the testing that they always do, they found that when they used the bone-in short ribs they got 2 C. of fat. When they used boneless short ribs they got 1/4 C. of fat. That is a HUGE difference.

The recipe was really wonderful. we did make half-again as much gravy. You always need extra gravy. Served it over silky mashed potatoes. I am going to try and take a picture to post. Somehow, I have as yet to be successful with that.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."
John Maynard Keynes

#183 Jammin

Jammin
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

Made the Pasta a la Norma and the Spanish Tortilla from the latest issue. Uncharacteristically, these were disappointments. The Pasta didn't have sufficient eggplant in it for our taste; I may go back and boost the eggplant content to see if that helps.

The Tortilla seemed to lack the richness that a more classical approach produces. I really wanted this to be great since frying the potatoes and onions in a ton of oil is such a pain.

Anyone else have better luck with either?

On a more positive note, the Tomato Pesto with Almonds was ridiculously easy to make and will surely be added to my rotation.

Edited by Jammin, 07 June 2009 - 04:04 AM.

#184 Jujubee

Jujubee
  • participating member
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

I know this has been mentioned a few times already, but it's remarkable enough that it bears repeating. I finally got around to trying the Slow-Roasted Beef from Jan 2008, and wow, that is some remarkable chemistry going on there. I am never going to look down on an eye of round roast again.

#185 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

I know this has been mentioned a few times already, but it's remarkable enough that it bears repeating.  I finally got around to trying the Slow-Roasted Beef from Jan 2008, and wow, that is some remarkable chemistry going on there.  I am never going to look down on an eye of round roast again.

View Post

Your timing is amazing. The PBS series "America's Test Kitchen" episode that aired this weekend in my area featured this recipe. It seems like it shouldn't work but it does.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#186 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

I know this has been mentioned a few times already, but it's remarkable enough that it bears repeating.  I finally got around to trying the Slow-Roasted Beef from Jan 2008, and wow, that is some remarkable chemistry going on there.  I am never going to look down on an eye of round roast again.

View Post

Your timing is amazing. The PBS series "America's Test Kitchen" episode that aired this weekend in my area featured this recipe. It seems like it shouldn't work but it does.

View Post

We do this a lot now. It's really good and if you have some great beef stock, you can make gravy to go with it.

Last night I made the CI Best Quiche Lorraine with bacon and cheddar instead of Gruyère:
Posted Image
Such a great, easy, custardy quiche.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook