Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

An Ideal Negroni

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#211 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

My "Negroni" variation tonight was something that Rafa suggested for the Kinsey Report -- equal parts Smith & Cross, Bonal Gentia, and Campari. I found it a touch syrupy, so I added another equal part dry vermouth. Big, rich and lovely.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#212 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:26 PM

My "Negroni" variation tonight was something that Rafa suggested for the Kinsey Report -- equal parts Smith & Cross, Bonal Gentia, and Campari.

That one is like Ron Dollete's Rope Burn, with Campari instead of Aperol.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 13 June 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#213 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

On a whim, I decided to throw caution to the wind (the three sheets notwithstanding), and shake  :shock:  my negroni.  I always build my Negroni in the glass.  I think I've stirred it on one or two occasions, but I wanted to see what shaking it would do.  The color was completely different.  I should have taken a photo, but it's easy enough for anyone to replicate.  The taste was actually a little different due to the aeration and immediate dilution.  It was still good and very refreshing, though.  I didn't use anything unusual it--the gin was Bombay Dry and the vermouth was Cinzano.  I will more than likely stick with building it, but it was an interesting experiment and still resulted in a pleasant drink.  I'm thinking that this style might be better suited for outdoor use.

Yeah, I throw mine to get a happy medium between the full on, punchy built version and the lighter, aerated shaken style.
That's right, throwing is not just for wanky, showy bartenders.
  • haresfur likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#214 brinza

brinza
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I throw mine to get a happy medium between the full on, punchy built version and the lighter, aerated shaken style.
That's right, throwing is not just for wanky, showy bartenders.

I'll have to try that.  There can never be too many excuses to try another Negroni.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes