Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Lebanese "Saj" Bread

Bread

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 FoodMan

FoodMan
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,316 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

It is quiet fortunate that you are with us this week since we recently started discussing Lebanese Mountain or Saj bread, Click Here for the thread. Have you ever tried this bread cooked in this manner? Do you have a formula we can use to produce thin soft Saj bread?

Thanks,
Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

#2 Peter Reinhart

Peter Reinhart
  • participating member
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:23 PM

That was a great thread and the recipe looks fine to me. The amount of whole wheat flour vs. white really is a judgment call--you could go all the way to 100% whole wheat if you want to. I've made similar bread on the back of the wok but didn't know it was called Saj. The key to thinness is to let the dough relax between stretch outs, treating it almost like making pita bread or focaccia col formaggio dough, or even strudel (though there is no yeast in those). Thanks for sharing the thread--I can see why so many people got jazzed about it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread