Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Single Cup Steam Bar Coffee Makers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hollywood

hollywood
  • participating member
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:03 AM

From my limited knowledge, I see that both Melitta and Soliloquy (?) are making quick brew, single cup coffee makers using pods and a steam bar. Is the end product any good? Any better than just the traditional Melitta filter process?
I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

#2 phaelon56

phaelon56
  • legacy participant
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:19 AM

I think this may be a variation of the

Senseo Crema system

It uses pods or plastic cartidges of some sort. The original system was suing Douwe Egberts coffee if I recall correctly. I haven't tried the output of such a machine but the verdict seems to be that it's costlier but to many people's tastes, better than regular drip coffee. The brew is produced quickly and under pressure - the result is akin to a cafe crema (this is sort of a over-volume espresso - typically a double shot's worth of espresso blend is ground coarser and the standard 25 - 30 second pull yields about 6 oz of liquid).

The original Philips Senseo Crema system had been wildly popular int he European market - I think Capresso is also making such a machien now. It's not a substitute for a good espresso machine but a very good way to have an excellent cup of "regular" coffee that is quick and convenient to make.