Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Slow Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Boris_A

Boris_A
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:16 AM

This ist not a question, but just admiration for your words and book on "slow kitchen".
I laid out some principles of my way of cooking " A kitchen of the rewarmed and concentrated") here:
eGullet Members Bios
and maybe you can imagine my smile when I read your article here on eGullet.

An interesting research would be about how the "cuisine" in the first half of this century transferred from the hand of women to the hand of men. I suppose this was accompanied by the transformation from slow to fast wrt to the high prestige cuisine.

Anyway, as the title hits the bullseye on my cooking techniques dartboard, I have to have your book.

Kind regards, Boris
Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

#2 Wolfert

Wolfert
  • participating member
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, Boris. Actually, I'm about to ruin your wallet on gas or electric bills! All my books, in one sense or another, are about long slow cooking...from moroccan tagines in "Couscous" through daubes and cassoulets in "South-West France", through "Eastern Med" in which most everything is slow-cooked, to "Grains & Greens" and now "The Slow Med. Kitchen." And guess what I'm starting on now? Clay Pot Cookery, which, of course, is verrrrry slooooooow....
“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.