Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Mai Tai Recipes

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#391 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:48 PM

Another rendition of the My Oh My Ty, the white agricole/absinthe Mai Tai created by Brian Miller, this time with Kō Hana Kea (white) Lahi for the rhum agricole. This rum is made from freshly pressed cane juice from a single varietal (Lahi) grown in Hawaii. Glasses by Michael Uhlenkott.

20832794069_1e520b4a75_z.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#392 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

How's the Lahi?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#393 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

When I was in college (Ottawa University) I fantasized about Trader Vic's Mai Tai.  18 was old enough to drink 3.2 beer but aside from that, Kansas was a dry state. I was 21 when I was at Fort Lewis, Washington and got leave to go into town where  I had my first Mai Tai at Trader Vic's. I only had one and had a buzz on afterward.   At the time Trader Vic's recipe was a secret but now it's published.  I have the recipe in a Trader Vic recipe book but  I like his Scorpion drink better. 

Edited by Norm Matthews, 02 September 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#394 TicTac

TicTac
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:42 PM

I just started getting into Mai Tai's

I am using 1.5oz each of S&C and El Dorado 12 y/o (or is it 15?) rum, Pierre Fernand Curacao, A Montreal based Co Ogreat, and lime juice.

Are those the appropriate rums to use?

Tastes great, regardless - but I am curious!

#395 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 843 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

I just started getting into Mai Tai's

I am using 1.5oz each of S&C and El Dorado 12 y/o (or is it 15?) rum, Pierre Fernand Curacao, A Montreal based Co Ogreat, and lime juice.

Are those the appropriate rums to use?

Tastes great, regardless - but I am curious!

Did you like it? If so then those were the right rums to use!

A fairly traditional Mai Tai based on the Trader Vic recipe can be found on Kindred Cocktails (a great resource). I think of the Appleton 12 and a Rhum Clement that is 4-6 years of age as a good place to start. Note that in the notes S&C is mentioned as another good Jamaican rum. In the combination you listed it helped bring in the hogo or funk that would otherwise be missing from the ED12. A solid orgeat is critical to me. Not personally familiar with the one you used but it might be perfectly fine. I almost never use simple syrup, adding more orgeat instead.

But there endless variations including many in the preceding posts on this thread.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#396 TicTac

TicTac
  • participating member
  • 75 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:32 PM

Did you like it? If so then those were the right rums to use!

A fairly traditional Mai Tai based on the Trader Vic recipe can be found on Kindred Cocktails (a great resource). I think of the Appleton 12 and a Rhum Clement that is 4-6 years of age as a good place to start. Note that in the notes S&C is mentioned as another good Jamaican rum. In the combination you listed it helped bring in the hogo or funk that would otherwise be missing from the ED12. A solid orgeat is critical to me. Not personally familiar with the one you used but it might be perfectly fine. I almost never use simple syrup, adding more orgeat instead.

But there endless variations including many in the preceding posts on this thread.

Can you tell me a bit more about Rhum Clement - is from a certain geography?  A white rum?  The LCBO is very limited (sadly) with its selection, even if it is the biggest liquor buying power in the world....

The orgeat I got is this one:  http://cocktailempor...irop-d-orgeade

#397 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,385 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Appleton 12 and a Rhum Clement that is 4-6 years of age as a good place to start. *

* As recommended by Rum Dood after a lot of experimentation (see here for his elucubrations). Note that I am pretty sure he uses Appleton V/X when he works at 320 Main...

Or just use Denizen Merchant's Reserve which is already a mix of Jamaican (like the Appleton) and aged agricole (like the Clement). Developed in collaboration with Martin Cate, with Mai Tais in mind.

Can you tell me a bit more about Rhum Clement - is from a certain geography?  A white rum?  The LCBO is very limited (sadly) with its selection, even if it is the biggest liquor buying power in the world....

The Clement VSOP that is often recommended for Mai Tais is an aged rum, so it's amber in color. It's from Martinique and it's a rhum agricole, therefore made from fresh cane juice, which makes it different from most other rums which are produced from molasses.

But you should try your own rum mixes and see what you like. There are many, many permutations that have been tried on this forum if you feel like reading the 14 pages of discussions!

Edited by FrogPrincesse, Yesterday, 05:00 PM.

#398 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,385 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:59 PM

How's the Lahi?

It's pretty good but only 40%. La Favorite is still my favorite. ;)

• JoNorvelleWalker likes this

#399 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Or just use Denizen Merchant's Reserve which is already a mix of Jamaican (like the Appleton) and aged agricole (like the Clement). Developed in collaboration with Martin Cate, with Mai Tais in mind.

The Martinique rum used in the Merchant's Reserve is molasses-based--it's a rare rhum industriel from Martinique. Martin Cate's research led him to believe that the style of Martinician rum Vic used for his Mai Tai blend was derived from molasses, not cane juice. (In this he departs from Berry). Regardless, an agricole is delicious in a Mai Tai--with good rums and good orgeat, it's hard to go wrong. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#400 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,727 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:45 PM

It's pretty good but only 40%. La Favorite is still my favorite. ;)

Indeed, Frog.  And like many Bothans thou shalt forever be in my remembrance for that information.

Enjoying a white mai tai (La Favorite/W&N) at the moment.  TicTac, if it tastes good it is good, but keep experimenting because something else might taste even better.

As to orgeat I recommend small hand foods.  The owner, feste, is an eGullet member, not that she seems to post much anymore.  But good stuff:

http://smallhandfood...ndex.php/orgeat

Amazon has it.  Not sure about amazon.ca.  I consume it by the case.

• FrogPrincesse likes this

#401 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,385 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

The Martinique rum used in the Merchant's Reserve is molasses-based--it's a rare rhum industriel from Martinique.

You are right of course. And I should know since I attended Martin Cate's seminar at Tiki Oasis last year that dealt with this exact topic. Long day! :)

#402 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,525 posts

Posted Today, 07:25 AM

Now that we only have 2ish more weeks of official summer, I think I will make a Mai Tai tonight...Maybe two...I might even try Jo's white recipe!

• JoNorvelleWalker likes this

#403 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 843 posts

Posted Today, 11:46 AM

The Martinique rum used in the Merchant's Reserve is molasses-based--it's a rare rhum industriel from Martinique. Martin Cate's research led him to believe that the style of Martinician rum Vic used for his Mai Tai blend was derived from molasses, not cane juice. (In this he departs from Berry). Regardless, an agricole is delicious in a Mai Tai--with good rums and good orgeat, it's hard to go wrong. 

I have heard that argument before as well but it doesn't really matter because whether or not it is historically accurate the rhum agricole is better!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#404 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 843 posts

Posted Today, 11:51 AM

The orgeat I got is this one:  http://cocktailempor...irop-d-orgeade

Edited by tanstaafl2, Today, 11:54 AM.

~tanstaafl2

#405 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 843 posts

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

FP pretty well covered rhum agricole but I do seem to recall the lamentations of our friends to the north of the rather profound failure of the LCBO to provide an adequate supply of Rhum Agricole. In that case maybe Smith & Cross is your best bet as one of the rums.

But I know what I would be looking to bring back the next time I left the country!

Can't speak to the orgeat you used without trying it. sounds like it has decent potential. But Jo's recommendation of the Small Hands version is spot on.

~tanstaafl2

#406 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted Today, 01:02 PM

You are right of course. And I should know since I attended Martin Cate's seminar at Tiki Oasis last year that dealt with this exact topic. Long day! :)

No worries, it's not in the, uh, spirit of rum to get caught up on the small details when one could instead be drinking more Mai Tais. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com