Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Minimizing Complex Cuisines

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 iain

iain
  • participating member
  • 194 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 07:22 AM

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

Thanks for the interesting and informative Q&A!

#2 markbittman

markbittman
  • legacy participant
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 02:14 PM

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

I'm trying. And trying to learn. The answer is 'yes,' I'm sure it's possible. But I need to have a better feel for the cuisine, which is coming – but slowly.

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

I don't want to kill authenticity, but I sometimes wonder what it means exactly. I'm quite careful about preserving, or trying to preserve, what I perceive to be the spirit of a recipe. But there are times I may get it wrong.