Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

French Chocolate Cake or Cloud Cake?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

It midsummer eve on Friday and I thought I would jazz up the traditional  Strawberry and cream dessert with adding a chocolate cake to it but I cant figure out which one I should make.

French chocolate cake.

http://recipes-cake....chocolate-cake/

Chocolate cloud cake:

http://www.nigella.c...ocolate-cloud-c

Or should I just make brownies or kladdkaka?

Help!

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#2 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

For some reason your cloud cake link doesn't work.  Is this it?  Nigella's Chocolate Cloud Cake

I adore chocolate desserts - the richer, the better.  In this particular instance I think substituting the strawberries and cream for the cream on top of the cloud cake - if I found the right recipe - makes sense, or to be truly degenerate add them instead of substituting.  Either would work, though, if the recipes are good ones.  Or strawberries, cream and fudgy brownies.  Or strawberries, cream and almond bark.   :wub:

I had to look up kladdkaka.  That looks pretty darned good too, but if you're looking to change things around, then a lighter - as in less dense - but still very chocolaty cake might be just the ticket.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#3 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Yes Nigella  cloud cake, is the one.

I always do kladdkaka since it is my friends favourite and I make a darn good one.   I still not sure, what to bake. Normally we only have  whipped cream and  strawberries, I want more.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you,  But blue mold will kill me.

#4 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Well, I'll be making a chocolate cake for Skt Hans aften, but using ATK's Devil's food cake recipe, and a bunch of pistachio...mass (?) between the layers; probably some sort of ganache over the top. Strawberries and cream on the side.

That Devil's food cake recipe has been repeatedly requested by everyone who's had it, definitely have to hand it to ATK for nailing it; it's lighter than [proper] brownies or kladdkaka (which I find essentially identical), but has an equally intense chocolate flavour.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#5 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

Well made properly the kladdkaka doesnt have a crisp topping which a brownie has and a brownie has chocolate in it and   kladdkaka has  cocoa powder, so there is difference and also in texture.

I dont like Devils food cake, I never found it yummy even though every one says. I always find it too dense for my liking.

I think I be going with the  cloud cake.

#6 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,606 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:27 AM

Well made properly the kladdkaka doesnt have a crisp topping which a brownie has and a brownie has chocolate in it and   kladdkaka has  cocoa powder, so there is difference and also in texture.

I dont like Devils food cake, I never found it yummy even though every one says. I always find it too dense for my liking.

I think I be going with the  cloud cake.

Hmmmm. A brownie doesn't have to have a crisp topping and I am about to make Alice Medrich's brownies using only cocoa powder...no solid chocolate whatever. Just saying.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#7 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:43 AM

The cloud cake is extremely good, but it's definitely more dense than the devil's food cake in question, which is more or less like a sponge cake in texture.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#8 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

Well in Sweden  most Brownies recipes are hard crust and  chocolate in it.

Here is the kladdkaka recipe I use the most.

Kladdkaka

100 gram butter

2 eggs

300 ml sugar

4 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.

150 ml flour

½ tablespoon vanilla

1 tablespoon  liquid,  water, booze, coffee or juice

1 pinch salt

Heat the oven up to 150C. Find a round  pie tin , 20-24 cm wide., Melt butter, add salt  och cocoa, whisk smooth, leave.   In a separate bowl whisk  egg, sugar and vanilla fluffy, but not pale. Stir in flour and the the cocoa/butter . Stir  in the liquid  and pour  the batter into the pie tin and bake in the middle  of the oven   for 28 minutes.

Leave to cool for 1 hour,  then serve pie slices with ice cream.  But for a better taste  leave it in the  fridge   12-24 hours  and then pipe roses of whipped cream and serve with fruit.

Every one will get  a harder crust and a gooie center this way.

proper kladdkaka isnt served in squares.

• Smithy likes this

#9 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

Mjx:  

I never gotten the cloud cake dense, it always been like more  lite baked mousse.

#10 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

Maybe this? http://smittenkitche...ake/#more-11956

#11 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Similar to a recipe I have.  Hrm, now I dont know which to make.

#12 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Aren't you glad you asked for help? :-D

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#13 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

* rips of her apron and runs screaming through the forum*

Yes I am, I am even more confused now.,

• Smithy likes this

#14 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hmmm. Well I think this calls for some side-by-side testing. I suggest you make a minimum of three, then let us know which one is best. :wink:

#15 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Yes but the problem is, I should not eat chocolate and this is me being naughty....  I cant do cake testing I be in pain for a few days.

#16 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

* rips of her apron and runs screaming through the forum*

Yes I am, I am even more confused now.,

I was glad to see on the "Your Daily Sweets" topic that you recovered yourself enough to make the cloud cake. ;-) If you're up to posting photos, we'd love to see the result, or at least hear how it came out. Either way, Happy Midsummer's Eve!

#17 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

I will show the result, it didnt rise as much as it normaly does BUT it did rise  and it looks airy and not dense.  I am about to test in in 1 hour. 

Happy midsummer to you to.

#18 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

20140620_173650_zps933c2bab.jpg

20140620_173559_zps0f1bf11d.jpg

It turned out lovely even if  I had 50 grams more  chocolate,   they changed the chocolate  bar to contain 50 grams more then before.. Woops and when you have a toddler who things she is Tenzing Norgay, well mummy ( when home alone) has to run and sometimes get lost  in the recipe. Also my electric whisk died  when the  egg whites nearly were whisked  perfect.

It became moist, soft, airy and  a bit kick in the teeth too much chocolate.,

• Smithy and nakji like this

#19 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,459 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

That's the way it's come out when I've made it; I'd describe that as 'dense' (i.e. way, way more dense the devil's food cake recipe I have), although I'd also go with 'extremely rich'. It looks deliciious.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#20 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • participating member
  • 723 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

But it  much softer in texture then a devil food cake,  you can hear the bubbles bursting when cutting it.  Normally mine is higher and not  this compacted.