Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Carl's Jr. aka Hardee's 2014

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Their recent advertising has been to tout their fresh-baked buns. I thought the buns were solely for their premium line of burgers ("$6 dollar burgers") but on a recent visit I was asked if I wanted a fresh bun with my Western Bacon single. They charged a little extra for swapping the regular buns for the new fresh-baked buns. 

To my surprise, the fresh-baked buns do taste better than their regular buns, IMHO. The dough is a little on the sweet side...not quite King's Hawaiian bread sweet but sweet enough that I noticed it. It did make for a better burger experience, if you will.

Has anyone else tried their new line of fresh-baked buns?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#2 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

I don't eat burgers from Carl's( or anywhere), but I will ask for a fresh baked bun next time I get a chicken sandwich.  I do like their fresh baked biscuits.

#3 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Carl's/Hardee's has a new promotion burger out...The Texas BBQ Burger. It's a bottom layer of smoked beef brisket, then a thick-burger patty, with jalapeño straws all on their fresh-baked buns. It's one of their more expensive burgers. You can print out a nice coupon from their web site: Carl's Jr

I was surprised to find that I liked it. Upon first bite, it had a nice charbroiled flavor. The brisket had a nice smokiness to it (which the cynic in me thinks was due to liquid smoke). The jalapeño straws made a negligible contribution to the burger.  I detected no spicy heat from them at all and so I figured they were there for the crunchy texture. The bbq sauce they used wasn't overly sweet and there wasn't a lot of it so it wasn't dripping or messy. 

Overall, a pretty good burger that I would order again.

• rotuts likes this

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”