Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Future of Food Criticism

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I haven't read this article yet (it's going to be a really busy day today), but I thought that a lot of you might enjoy this: http://madfeed.co/po...-food-criticism

A sample quote:

The chefs on the panel questioned whether its always the case that a print critic does his job professionally. I think a lot of critics come into a restaurant with an idea in mind already, and its easy to be funny through negativity, said Bech. One of the examples that came up in the discussion was critic Pete Wells takedown of Guy Fieris Times Square restaurant, a 1000-word assessment composed entirely of rhetorical questions. Among them: Why did the toasted marshmallow taste like fish? As Abend and Frank argued, if the experience is so bad if it looks like the restaurant is trying to take advantage of those spending money to eat there the critic should tell readers just how offensive the place is.

There's a podcast embedded in the article in case you want to listen to the symposium. About 1 hour and 50 minutes of your time.

Edited by SobaAddict70, 23 April 2014 - 09:18 AM.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#2 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Interesting but predictable stuff. Surprising only for the generally decent acceptance of food bloggers and the seeming blindness to the generally crumbling economics of traditional print media.