Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 2)

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#91 greenmonk

greenmonk
  • participating member
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I live in Washington, D.C. I placed the order last Monday. Shipped on Friday. Estimated to arrive on Wednesday. 

Not so enthralled with customer service, but I understand it's a smaller operation. Sent an e-mail last Tuesday, still haven't received a response. From reading through this thread, I'm not alone with that situation.

I'm in DC too! Well, more like Metro DC.

The best way to contact them is by phone. I've never had an issue getting through and talking with someone. If you have an issue or question, your best bet is calling them. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine!
Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

#92 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, who would expect them to be real busy a week before Thanksgiving and 5 weeks before Christmas?  :blink:

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#93 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Mine has cleared UK customs...

#94 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Well, found one fairly significant (IMHO) design flaw: The clamp doesn't fit properly on a 12x18x9 Cambro.  Guess I'll have to notch the rim.

in what way doesn't it fit?

that WOULD be a fairly large error on their part, and a drag

How is this an Anova "design flaw" or "large error"? Anova does not claim compatibility with this particular style Cambro.

FWIW, the Cambro 18CW135 works fine, as does the Cambro 12SFSCW135.

It would be  a "large error" because many, many people use Cambros for Sous Vide cooking and because that's amongst the most common sizes used.

No they didn't "claim compatibility".. what I said was it would be an error on their part if they hadn't THOUGHT about it at least.

that's all.

And it would be.

But apparently it works.

Mine is marked "shipped", so I should find out for myself in a few days, I reckon.

#95 porpoise_oil

porpoise_oil
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

Has anyone had an issue with their Anova's screen? I just got my 220V model the other day, and it worked fine for a couple of days, but today I was using it to cook some eggs; I walked away and it turned blank (which I expected), but when I tapped the screen I saw this:

SadAnova.jpg

I turned the unit off, and now when I turn the Anova on, I just see a blank screen :( It seems to still respond to touches, but I can't see what I'm doing.

I've emailed them to ask about this - hopefully they can send me a replacement as I'd rather not wait for it to go to the US and back for repair :(

#96 Jonathon

Jonathon
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

The only part of that long rant that could influence me; has the Anova no CE or UL or other compliance mark?

K

My Anova (220v) has a CE sticker.

#97 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I saw something happen to mine the other day. I turned it on and had a blank white screen except for a small circle in the upper right corner of the screen, tapping the screen caused the circle to move... I wonder if somehow it was displaying an LCD calibration screen. Turning the unit off and on again returned the unit to normal. I made a photo of the screen, I will send it to Anova after the holiday,

#98 porpoise_oil

porpoise_oil
  • participating member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Well I called Anova a little while ago - they agreed it was faulty and are sending me a replacement unit. So although it's a bit annoying to have it happen, I'm happy with how they're handling it. Hopefully it's not a widespread problem though - I certainly haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

#99 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

I saw something happen to mine the other day. I turned it on and had a blank white screen except for a small circle in the upper right corner of the screen, tapping the screen caused the circle to move... I wonder if somehow it was displaying an LCD calibration screen. Turning the unit off and on again returned the unit to normal. I made a photo of the screen, I will send it to Anova after the holiday,

I posted about that earlier as it happened to me as I turned the unit on as I wiped the screen with a paper towel. I turned it off and back on and have had no problems because of it. Wouldn't worry about it but let me know if they get back to you about it.

#100 stckciv

stckciv
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

I just ordered mine tonight. The only problem is it is a Xmas gift from my wife so I have to wait to play! New years should be fun though!!
I already told her to get me another for my birthday in a few months!! 

#101 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Ordered mine 19 Nov, and it arrived today.
Not too bad at all.

I actually was able to order it from Anova Culinary via amazon.com which made it super easy.

filled a cambro to 8 qts and set it to 134 F.
within 5 minutes of it saying it hit temperature, the temp display on the Anova agreed perfectly with the water temp taken with my Thermapen 

all great news.

now, what to make for dinner?...

post-70623-0-37714200-1386021784.jpg  

ps i also hand cut (just with a serated knife) the 12x12 cambro lid to fit the Anova.
It's close enough to work and can still come on and off with the circulator in place.
I have a feeling cutting the larger poly lid for my 12x18 isn't going to be a home job though.

Edited by heidih, 02 December 2013 - 03:11 PM.
Fix image

#102 weedy

weedy
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

oh, and one more thing!:

it came with a printed little instruction booklet.

NOT the USB manual

#103 alanz

alanz
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

My second unit arrived today, will unbox it tomorrow. Fine product.

#104 Beusho

Beusho
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Products should save on paper and just print on the box For Manual Go To www.ThisWebsite.com with a website with the instruction manual, it would save them money they could pass on or recoup any returns, and if you're ordering sous vide equipment you definitely have access to the internet

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

#105 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

The Anova finally arrived! Very excited, but I'm at work. Will post thoughts / final costs etc later or tomorrow when I get a chance.

#106 jmasur

jmasur
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

and now Polyscience has announced its $300 Discovery circulator

http://cuisinetechno...e-discovery.php

no doubt in response to Anova and Sansaire

That's not their only response.

Just before Thanksgiving, they sued Sansaire, asserting infringement of U.S. Pat. No. 8469678.  The patent requires molded housings, suggesting that Anova is not a likely next target.

#107 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

and now Polyscience has announced its $300 Discovery circulator

http://cuisinetechno...e-discovery.php

no doubt in response to Anova and Sansaire

That's not their only response.

Just before Thanksgiving, they sued Sansaire, asserting infringement of U.S. Pat. No. 8469678.  The patent requires molded housings, suggesting that Anova is not a likely next target.

Sounds like neither a novel nor an unanticipated feature.

#108 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ugh!!!  :wacko: 

I'm going to stick with the SVM for now!

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#109 jmasur

jmasur
  • participating member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's got a lot more requirements than that, obviously.  I was simply noting that it does not appear that Polyscience could read this on the Anova.

#110 bonkboo

bonkboo
  • participating member
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

It's got a lot more requirements than that, obviously.  I was simply noting that it does not appear that Polyscience could read this on the Anova.

Presumably a last ditch attempt to keep share in the household market while retaining margins. I'd assume they could just introduce something priced below Anova, etc. they have the know how, distribution and brand to dominate this market. Silly to worry about cannabalizing their higher price point products when they could simply sell a whole lot more product at the presumably less profitable lower price.
  • gfweb likes this

#111 johnder

johnder
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Google patent link http://www.google.co...tents/US8469678

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#112 Unpopular Poet

Unpopular Poet
  • society donor
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

I agree as well that potential legal issues are always important -- I am super pleased by my Anova -- I couldn't ask for anything more -- and I fully intend on buying another one when my sous vide supreme dies.  I think the problem here is that the potential of a lawsuit, even if it is slight, could have a detrimental effect on the future of a company -- especially a smaller, newer company.  I have no idea how litigious Polyscience is -- but discussing this is still relevant to my Anova circulator...

In other news, I am preparing a beautiful chuck roast to go in my Anova tonight for 24 hours -- I have come to completely rely on it for the longer runs, as it maintains a level of perfect temperature I could never rely upon in my other setups.  

it is what it is, and it speaks for itself.

That sounds like something a lawyer would say. ;)

Edited by Unpopular Poet, 05 December 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#113 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

So, the expense incurred:

199 USD for the circulator
69.95 USD for shipping and handling to the UK

I did get hit for vat on import as expected - 20%.

I did not get hit for Duty as the total value was too low, but if you're ordering multiple items, you may do, so bear that in mind - the best lookup I could do suggested this would be just above 4%. That was classing it as a water heater - bear in mind I didn't have to test that this was what customs would have applied.

Annoyingly, I also got hit by a fixed charge from the courier company for having to handle the customs clearing - I stupidly left the invoice at work, but it was around 14 GBP. The rest of the charges I understood and it's up to me to decide whether I'm happy or not to place an order, but this was a surprise and left me a little less than gruntled given that the courier was their choice and would clearly be dealing with a cross border shipment, I expected this would be included. It's small, but I will complain about this to Anova.

I'm going to leave my comments on whether I'm happy with the overall cost until I have had a chance to use it a bit more - initial impressions in use are great and temp appears to be spot on, but I am heading to Italy tomorrow and won't be using it for a week. I also have a pet peeve about amazon style reviews after owning products for a couple of hours which I don't wish to resemble.

Hope that helps those considering a purchase for now.
  • Adam George likes this

#114 Beusho

Beusho
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Suing someone for competing with you: this has made me not want to support Polyscience. I don't think they can do much to Anova, it's a subsidiary of an established company that sells lab grade equipment. The patent seems to rely on the housing around the impeller and heating element; there are a ton of other lab grade thermal immersion circulators out there now. If they sued my company I'd say sure I'll take off the housing...oh and I'll sell a waterbath cage to protect, no, not the housing, but waterbath contents. Frivolous lawsuits are the way a big company competes with smaller companies

“...no one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”

#115 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Frivolous?

Who has read the lawsuit?

Who has seen detailed drawings of Sansaire's design?

Looks like Polyscience has 24 patent claims.

~Martin

#116 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

As a person reasonably schooled in the art, I have a hard time finding novelty in a heater combined with a circulator. Magnetic stirrer/hotplates have been in labs for what 40 years? Aquariums have had circulators and heaters even longer. This is unanticipated?

One of the functions of a patent in the modern era is to provide an expense barrier to small companies trying to enter the market. Not only do they have to make their product, they have to have a war chest to attack the possibly invalid patents of the behemoth when they are sued for infringement.

Edited by gfweb, 05 December 2013 - 04:51 PM.

• gfweb likes this

#117 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

OK then.  good for them.

as Id like to lean:

why not Anova? and can you make claims on a product that not commercially available?

#118 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

I don't know, that's why I'm asking questions, it'd be nice to know some facts instead of just making a bunch of assumptions,

~Martin

#119 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

""   Looks like Polyscience has 24 patent claims ""

so where does this come from and how can the make suit on an item that is not in the marketplace?

#120 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

The claims are in the patent.

As I understand it, you don't need to go to market to violate a patent.

Regardless, they're headed for market.

~Martin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist