Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Organizing what you've learned at eGullet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Ive learned a great deal at the eG.  so much so that its become difficult for me to organize all the posts and references.

Initially I made bookmarks.  now have a zillion book marks.

then I did screen shots of particular responses I wanted to save, and tried to call them something that would ring a bell and placed them in various folders.

OK to a degree.

but more and more Im looking for a particular post and cant find it or if its a pic, get back to the original thread to review the ideas more completely.

sometimes the search works but mostly its not so helpful at least to me for something specific Ive seen before.

so:  how have you been organizing what you've learned here?

here in one example, from PedroG re SV temps:

SV bourguignon.jpg

its a screen shot.

its # 22 in some sort of thread, but its hard to find that thread and go back to review.

many thanks

Edited by rotuts, 11 November 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#2 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

have you tried Evernote? Really good for things like this.

#3 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Since I suffer from extreme ADHD and OCD and I'm the world's most disorganized person, I find it extremely difficult to stay organised.

I try to keep everything in folders in either Google Drive or Ubuntu One.

Critical information that I want to have easy access to without a lot of searching I'll email to myself via my gmail account.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#4 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

It was this forum.

I second Evernote or emailing it to yourself but with both you still need to have an ability to search to retrieve the information. So the question is not so much one of storing (which you have done with the screen shot above) as one of retrieving what you have stored. For this you need a good search engine.

I gave up on the search function in eGullet a long time ago. If you know the sort of content, look it up using google site search (type "site:forums.egullet.org <search term>" into google). That's how I found the forum you mentioned (it was number two on the search list) and every other one I've tried to remember.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#5 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

That's what I like about emailing to gmail....the more detail in the subject line better....it makes searching easy.

You can also organize into folders.

Google Drive is also easy to search.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious and radical farmer, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#6 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 284 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I use MacGourmet to organize recipes and notes. I just copy the information or picture and paste it into the program. The recipe section is quite flexible so for example you can put several versions all under the same recipe. I.e., "Pork Belly": SV or conventional.

#7 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

Web pages in general I save as .pdf files, then sort them to folders (many of which have a lot of subfolders). Works pretty well.

• rotuts likes this
Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#8 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

excellent ideas, many thanks

#9 Koen Lebegge

Koen Lebegge
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

evernote it is.  Gives the flexibility to combine web clippings, all kinds of documents, photo's and even hand-written notes.  Fully searchable, even does character recognition.  I store everything there.  It also synchronises over all your devices, which is very handy when you are on the move.

#10 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

I just ran across this topic while I was wondering the exact same question that rotuts brought up. Those of you who use Evernote: are you using the standard Evernote, or Evernote Cooks?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown