Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

St. Jacob's Farmers' Market burns down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

Sad news today for the vendors and customers of this popular market.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...acobs-fire.html
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#2 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Sad news indeed. That was a great little spot in a very pretty town.

#3 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

I hope they rebuild with the same country charm that attracted everyone to the market in the first place. So sad, especially so close to harvest time :-(

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,945 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

I suspect that's going to be devastating to the economy of the area for a while.  The broom maker in that building was one of the only ones in Ontario.  A great place to get some broom straws to use as cake testers!

#5 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

My daughter and her friend were planning a day excursion this month -- something they had promised themselves for years. Procrastination and all that......
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#6 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

What a shame!  We were just there a few weeks ago.  Hope they can rebuild. 

#7 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I suspect that's going to be devastating to the economy of the area for a while.  The broom maker in that building was one of the only ones in Ontario.  A great place to get some broom straws to use as cake testers!

downtown St. Jacobs will still have Hamel Brooms.  the farmers market is actually  a few kilometers away, on the edge of northern waterloo

my wife and I were at the market last thursday..   I heard on the news tonight  that they are definitely rebuilding , and that the open air portion and other buildings will  be open for this thursdays market. 

For those that will be  missing the inside vendors , most have stalls at the kitchener farmers market , downtown kitchener.  both markets are owned and operated by the same  company and have many of the same vendors

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow