Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

What Beers Did You Drink Today? Or Yesterday? (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

#571 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

Ruination is a favorite of mine but I don't see it often.  Will look forward to 2.0!

#572 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Grolsch, with a very very rare burger made from fresh chuck ground immediately before putting burgers on the Weber.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#573 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

Ruination is a favorite of mine but I don't see it often.  Will look forward to 2.0!

I tried it a few days ago and it's great! Hops in all its fabulous forms - pine/resin, citrus (lemon, orange), stone fruit, tropical fruit (mango, passion fruit).

16778563043_7e80d9a843_z.jpg

#574 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:52 PM

Ruination was my choice tonight to accompany a sous vide burger.  Plain old, old fashioned Ruination 1.0.  I do love the stuff.

#575 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:53 PM

IMG_1294.jpg

Review:

On the plus side the aroma isn't as bad as the taste. More of an very sweet cider than a beer. The initial sip hits you like an over-ripe mango to the face and then transitions to a strong taste of WTF then a long tail reminiscent of diesel. I'm sure I've put worse things in my mouth but not willingly. Can't wait until they release their Durian Dunkel.

• ChrisTaylor likes this
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#576 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

IMG_1294.jpg

Review:

On the plus side the aroma isn't as bad as the taste. More of an very sweet cider than a beer. The initial sip hits you like an over-ripe mango to the face and then transitions to a strong taste of WTF then a long tail reminiscent of diesel. I'm sure I've put worse things in my mouth but not willingly. Can't wait until they release their Durian Dunkel.

The lychee beer isn't totally awful. At least not for the first bottle. A six pack lasts a while.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#577 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:33 AM

961 Lebanese Pale Ale accompanying an acharuli khachapuri, mmmm.

#578 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:19 AM

Mexican beer has improved vastly from the old standards such as Negro Modelo or Bohemia. Found this excellent beer earlier this week- hopefully it stays available, Tastes like a Burton ale, but hecho in Monterrey, Mexico. May I present to you: Ocho Reales..!

IMG_20150516_060904.jpg

#579 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:02 AM

Dinner was Stone Cali-Belgique IPA.  OK, but not wonderful, not one of my favorite Stone bottles.  Still waiting to try Ruination version 2.

#580 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:53 PM

Tonight, with pork satay, Stone Thirteenth Anniversary.  Unfortunately it was a large bottle and I couldn't quite finish it.  Well, maybe I could have, but I did not want to be sick.

#581 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:30 AM

Accompanied by a sous-vide Sabrett and mustard, last night was finally Ruination 2.0.  My purveyor had gotten it in the day before!  Very bright hoppy flavor.  I enjoyed Ruination 2.0 immensely.  But for some reason never got around to posting about it after dinner.

As a public service my intention was to compare Ruination 2.0 next to Ruination 1.0, although that had to wait.

#582 Duvel

Duvel
  • participating member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

After a BBQ in the prevailing heatwave in southern Germany something refreshing from a colder climate: Galway Hooker IPA (that's Irish Pale Ale). Weak in alcohol (4.3%) but surprisingly fruity and strongly hopped. A good beer for a hot Sunday evening ...

Edited: too lazy to fix image orientation.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by Duvel, 05 July 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#583 gfron1

gfron1
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

I haven't been as excited about a beer in my memory - recently a customer brought me a gift of two beers from de Garde Brewing in Tillamook, Oregon. I had a sour saison and something else, but both just blew me away.

Chef, Curious Kumquat, Silver City, NM

#584 Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews
  • participating member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:12 PM

I didn't drink any beer today or yesterday.  What I usually drink is what someone brings me right after they ask me if I want a beer.

#585 cyalexa

cyalexa
  • participating member
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Scottish strong ale from Oskar Blues Brewery. I had this at a restaurant in Nashville and really enjoyed it.  According to their website it is not available in OK but is available in the Wichita area. Fortunately, I'm visiting a friend in Manhattan KS in a couple weeks and will go through Wichita! From their website: brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt. Old Chub features semi-sweet flavors of cocoa and coffee, and a wee-bit of smoke. A head-turning treat for malt heads and folks who think they don’t dig dark beer.

Attached Images

• IMG_20150629_121506_640.jpg

#586 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Yuengling Lager.

#587 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:38 PM

Tonight while waiting for my sous vide hotdog to warm up I stated on a bottle of Ruination 2.0.  I contrast to my earlier post I thought the Ruination 2.0 by itself was a bit much.  However with food tonight it was delightful.