Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine at Home" (Part 2)

Modernist Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#121 Fernwood

Fernwood
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've since decided the soup is better and more easily made by simply roasting carrots, then adding back the water lost to evaporation (using a scale to determine exactly how much to add back).  

Thank you!  I've been thinking about trying this, in the absence of a pressure cooker.  Do you use the baking soda?  Do you roast the carrots uncovered and dry from the start?  I am looking forward to doing this.  

#122 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Two tries with the mac and cheese (actually cauliflower cheese, but the 'cooking macaroni' section was not the difficult bit). In scaling down the recipe, I obviously miscalculated the sodium citrate the first time (which I was making with bicarbonate of soda and citric acid), as the result was very runny and didn't emulsify completely. Second try (fortunately the real run, with other people eating), I used the scaling feature in the inkling version which I bought on Sunday, which prevented my math fail.

Best cauliflower cheese I've ever made. I will by some sodium citrate to make it even easier in future - my OH was not keen on the chemistry experiment in the kitchen.

FWW my experience is that the proportions are pretty finicky in this.  I had a batch that was too thin and I added more cheese in batches, blending between.  It went suddenly from runny to gluey.

BTW, you can use citric acid instead of sodium citrate if you don't mind a bit of lemon taste (which can be a feature, not a bug). 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#123 chriscook

chriscook
  • participating member
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Made the chocolate custard yesterday for a chocolate pie. I didn't read the recipe real closely before I put the egg yolks in the sous vide, so was a little surprised when I pulled them out and they were fully set. But I went ahead and blended them up with the chocolate sauce and cream. I didn't really care for the flavor at first -- it was very eggy. So I stuck in the the fridge and tasted it a couple hours later. It's really really good. So good that I ate too much of it and don't have enough filling for the pie now.

#124 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

I've since decided the soup is better and more easily made by simply roasting carrots, then adding back the water lost to evaporation (using a scale to determine exactly how much to add back).  

Thank you!  I've been thinking about trying this, in the absence of a pressure cooker.  Do you use the baking soda?  Do you roast the carrots uncovered and dry from the start?  I am looking forward to doing this.  

No, I didn't use baking soda, as I've been roasting veggies for a long time without it.  An oven is a good deal hotter and drier than a pressure cooker, so it's not surprising this worked.  Baked in an open pan (ceramic, nearly nonstick) (not sure that's important, but it's how I do roasted veggies these days), dry except for the butter (which I reduced by half as a matter of personal preference), stirring every ten minutes.  Pulled when the caramelization seemed right, about 30 minutes at 350ºF in a countertop convection oven (based on prior experience, about 40 minutes at 375ºF in a conventional oven also would work).  Deglazed the baking dish with the water used to correct for evaporation.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

#125 Fernwood

Fernwood
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

No, I didn't use baking soda, as I've been roasting veggies for a long time without it.  An oven is a good deal hotter and drier than a pressure cooker, so it's not surprising this worked.  Baked in an open pan (ceramic, nearly nonstick) (not sure that's important, but it's how I do roasted veggies these days), dry except for the butter (which I reduced by half as a matter of personal preference), stirring every ten minutes.  Pulled when the caramelization seemed right, about 30 minutes at 350ºF in a countertop convection oven (based on prior experience, about 40 minutes at 375ºF in a conventional oven also would work).  Deglazed the baking dish with the water used to correct for evaporation.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Thank you.  I figured I would get something edible but it's nice to have a precedent.  

#126 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

http://forums.egulle...rt-5/?p=1942996

Through the kindness of another Society member I was able to take advantage of the ebook version of MC@H and it has re-ignited my interest in trying more of the recipes and techniques. The above link to the dinner thread shows my first dish. (I own the print version but can't seem to log on to the site so another member kindly gave me his code.).

However I may be very limited -- my pressure cooker came tumbling down off my pot rack and is critically injured!
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#127 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,531 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

Made the chocolate pastry cream last night - need to plan a bit better to insure it is smoother next time.  

#128 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

To anyone who has made the red wine glaze, what size pressure cooker did you need to accomodate the ingredients for the quantity suggested in the recipe?

#129 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

To anyone who has made the red wine glaze, what size pressure cooker did you need to accomodate the ingredients for the quantity suggested in the recipe?

In case you don't get an answer here, a member on the Modernist Cuisine blog suggests that it will just fit in a 5 L. (I had the same question so I was doing some googling). Here's the link I found (scroll down):

http://modernistcuis...ine-glaze-mcah/

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#130 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

Thank you Anna - my google skills are weak. :-)

Question for UK cooks - any luck in sourcing beef short ribs? Is it the same as the Jacob's ladder cut I've heard referred to over here?

#131 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

image.jpg

Attempted the sous-vide wings but was quite disappointed. They are brined, sous-vided and then deep-fried. The sous-vide step leaves the skin very fragile and even getting them dry and into the hot oil resulted in a fair amount of tearing. The skin on mine hardly crisped at all. The accompanying sauce I managed to completely flub by using a very strongly flavoured shallot oil instead of the suggested neutral oil! I would attempt the sauce again but not the wings. (They also splattered badly and my first order of business today will be cleaning my kitchen!)

My 2004 eG Blog

#132 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

After Sous Vide, I always dry my wings in the fridge for at least a day, preferably up to 3. 

PS: I am a guy.

#133 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

After Sous Vide, I always dry my wings in the fridge for at least a day, preferably up to 3.

I will certainly give that a try.

My 2004 eG Blog

#134 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Finally got around to eating the butternut squash soup I had made. I definitely think I messed it up - it was very sweet and overall was overpowered by the coconut milk. I couldn't grasp of a seasoning that would have corrected it to something I would be happy with. I'm guessing an increase in the caramelisation in the initial stage would have added a more savoury flavour to the dish.

I will get back to the carrot soup with my (frozen) carotene butter at some point.

#135 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Made the Kerala curry sauce:

http://forums.egulle...rt-5/?p=1943420

It was tasty but by no means outstanding in my opinion. Will have some leftovers for lunch and see if an overnight rest in the fridge has elevated it above the ordinary. To be fair, I cook a lot of Indian curries so I am not easily impressed.

My 2004 eG Blog

#136 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

image.jpg

Pressure cooked pork adobo.

Edited to add:

This turned out so much better than when I attempted it on Manitoulin Island. Wish I could pin point why. Better pork? Improved pressure cooker? More experience under my belt? Could be any or all of these factors.

Edited by Anna N, 29 November 2013 - 11:10 AM.

My 2004 eG Blog

#137 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Anna N:  Ive yet to try the PC pork adobo.  would you make it again?

#138 hattermad

hattermad
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

I've just made it again. Had all the ingredients this time, so didn't have to improvise. Tastes very good for what is almost a 'bung everything in PC' recipe.

#139 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

No, I don't think so. Simply not flavours that grab me by the collar. I suspect that for fans of adobo this is likely a good example.

My 2004 eG Blog

#140 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,283 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

image.jpg

Made the Muslim curry sauce using the portion adjustment function in the e-book version to make 2 1/2 cups. This makes so much sense. If you are going to all the trouble of making it then you might as well make a large portion and freeze some. Like any canned or jarred curry sauce it makes an almost instant meal. Defrost a portion, add a protein and vegetables of your choice, cook up some rice and you have dinner.

My 2004 eG Blog

#141 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi, 

I made Marinara, the pressure cooked tomato sauce today; It came out very wet. I guess that canned tomatoes I used contained a lot of juice. Next time, I will throw out some of it out.  

This, my first try, will be consumed as a tomato soup with some grilled cheese sandwiches  :)

/g

#142 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

I have made the pressure cooked tomato sauce a couple times and have been quite pleased with it.  One of only a couple successes from the books.  (Another being pressure cooker stock.)  I was just thinking of making up another batch of sauce and was wondering about simply adding a few cloves of raw garlic to the jars rather than sauteeing the garlic first.  I may have to experiment.

#143 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

I experimented.  A couple of days ago I made up a batch of modernist tomato sauce  with raw whole garlic cloves and a raw onion half,   I used a quart jar rather than a pint, and pressure cooked for two hours because of the larger vessel.  Not exactly the same as sauteeing the onion and garlic first, but very good, and I see no reason, at least for me, to sautee the onion and garlic.  And much less mess.  I finished the sauce up tonight but cheated and used boxed pasta.

#144 Ryan Imgrund

Ryan Imgrund
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Have tried many recipes the past two weeks, having success with all but Gruyere Mac and Cheese. Had no issues when using White Cheddar and Swiss/Old Cheddar. I could only get the cheese to liquefy when I brought the temp above 70 Celsius.
Ryan Imgrund
Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert

#145 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

I've done the mac n' cheese with gruyere.  As have many others, IIRC.  So I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

What you might try is this.  I use a different protocol than the published recipe.  (Always have.)  Rather than blending in the cheese gradually at the end, I combine the liquid and sodium citrate, stir in the cheese and heat everything at the same time, stirring constantly.  When the cheese has mostly melted, generally about 150F, I hit it with the immersion blender.  Works for me.  Easier too, which is the main reason I do it.  But I think it might also have the advantage of more gently transitioning the cheese into emulsion.

If you give this a try, do please report your results.

• Ryan Imgrund likes this

#146 lordratner

lordratner
  • participating member
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:32 AM

I did the risotto (broccoli and gruyere variation) yesterday. It was delicious, and super easy, with, one exception. After cooking the rice it calls for 70g of EVOO to be mixed in with the broccoli purée, but I found that with all the oil that came out of the chorizo, there was no way to incorporate that much additional oil. I poured it in anyways, mixed it up as best I could, and then drained off the excess oil, which amounted to around 100g or so. The risotto was super rich and creamy, I certainly didn't miss the extra oil. Next time I am going to half the amount of chorizo. It adds great flavor, but there was so much it overpowered the rice in both taste and texture. The bites without any chorizo were much more "risotto-y" for lack of a better term.

Going to try the butternut squash variation next. Still an overall thumbs up on the broccoli variation, and using a pressure cooker for risotto is great.

#147 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

I made a variation on the pressure cooked clear chicken stock today.... OMG. I used 1,4 kg of upper part wings instead of 700g wings + 700g ground leg meat because I did not have the leg meat. 

- A fantastic aroma fills the house right now. Almost like corn. I know it sounds crazy, but Its the best description I can give. 

- The stock is vibrant yellow with a thin layer of fat, I have never seen chicken stock that color 

- The yield is abut 1 liter, I don't think I will reduce the stock before using it. The taste was very very fresh and appealing  

The raw ingredient  is silly cheap where I live; around $2 per kilo. This alone will pay for my newly acquired WMF pressure cooker :) I cant wait to use this in some kind of soup. I am almost reluctant to use it in a dish where it does not shine by itself :-)

The book + the pressure cooker is a very good investment! 

Only "wows" and "amazings" right now. I'll post some pics of the dishes .-)

Edited by glennbech, 06 January 2014 - 05:33 PM.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#148 torolover

torolover
  • society donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I made a variation on the pressure cooked clear chicken stock today.... OMG. I used 1,4 kg of upper part wings instead of 700g wings + 700g ground leg meat because I did not have the leg meat. 

- A fantastic aroma fills the house right now. Almost like corn. I know it sounds crazy, but Its the best description I can give. 

- The stock is vibrant yellow with a thin layer of fat, I have never seen chicken stock that color 

- The yield is abut 1 liter, I don't think I will reduce the stock before using it. The taste was very very fresh and appealing  

The raw ingredient  is silly cheap where I live; around $2 per kilo. This alone will pay for my newly acquired WMF pressure cooker :) I cant wait to use this in some kind of soup. I am almost reluctant to use it in a dish where it does not shine by itself :-)

The book + the pressure cooker is a very good investment! 

Only "wows" and "amazings" right now. I'll post some pics of the dishes .-)

That stock sounds perfect for Ramen!  What else did you put in your stock? Veggies etc?  Is it from the MC at home recipe?

#149 Ryan Imgrund

Ryan Imgrund
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I've done the mac n' cheese with gruyere.  As have many others, IIRC.  So I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

What you might try is this.  I use a different protocol than the published recipe.  (Always have.)  Rather than blending in the cheese gradually at the end, I combine the liquid and sodium citrate, stir in the cheese and heat everything at the same time, stirring constantly.  When the cheese has mostly melted, generally about 150F, I hit it with the immersion blender.  Works for me.  Easier too, which is the main reason I do it.  But I think it might also have the advantage of more gently transitioning the cheese into emulsion.

If you give this a try, do please report your results.

Tried your suggestion last night. Turned out perfect and much easier to do. I'd suggest others making Mac & Cheese to give this slight tweak a whirl.
Ryan Imgrund
Food Lover and Published Foodborne Pathogen Expert

#150 pbear

pbear
  • participating member
  • 335 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Glad it went well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist, Cookbook