Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Traditional-style (Santa Maria) Tri-Tip in Los Angeles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 k145

k145
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hi, does anyone know where to find a restaurant in the LA region that serves Tri-Tip the traditional way? I've been to 2 in SD and some up north bu every place I've visited in LA serves tri-tip sandwiches where the meat has some sort of barbecue sauce on it, which is not the traditional version of it. I don't expect the restaurant to wrap the meat in burlap and bury it in coal overnight but at least serve it in the traditional method with its respective garnishes like those that were clearly documented by Californian ranchers in the 19th century. The original style recipe is easy to find such as the one in the Sunset cookbook but how come there it's so hard to find a restaurant that serves it in LA?

#2 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I grew up in Santa Maria.  Tri-tip in generally cooked over charcoal fire on an open grill.

You might have better luck with finding Santa Maria style BBQ if you head to the Inland Empire.  At least somewhere where there are rodeos and the like is a good bet, since BBQ is prepared and sold by different service organizations (the Elks Lodge, for instance) as a fund-raiser. 

I can't recall eating SM Style BBQ in a restaurant.  Not ever.

#3 bvus

bvus
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Maybe try Wood Ranch BBQ in Agoura?  Just ask them not to put any sauce on it?