Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2013 (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
574 replies to this topic

#61 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Mm, nice looking paella mm.

#62 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks, patrick.

#63 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Thanks rotuts - I combined a Jewish chicken barley soup recipe from the web with an old Gourmet recipe for a browned chicken soup with leeks (and apples, Calvados and heavy cream - the latter ingredients, obviously, omitted from this). Although the stock was great, the soup was not successful - neither one nor the other.

So we made a whole pot of the stock again the next day and some of it went into that chicken with Sichuan peppercorns further up, which was a wild success... the first time I've ever come close to wok hay. I recieved Grace Young for Christmas and now I want to use some of the insights from this book on the Fucshia Dunlop recipes I've been working on.

#64 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

The picture isn't that great (I have to work on my food photography), but tonight's dinner was flank steak (marinated in grapefruit juice, tequila, salt, sugar and onion) that was cooked in a cast-iron skillet with a little olive oil, some soy sauce, tabasco and spicy brown mustard, on top of a mixture of charred sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions, with romaine, diced jalapeno cheddar and a little horseradish mayo, on freshly made garlic and black pepper flatbread, served with seasoned baked potato chips.

wow... It is always weird when I look and see someone on here has cooked something similar to what I have prepared. My photo wasn't the greatest either .

Skirt steak taco with homemade guacamole. skirt marinade was adapted from a Rick Bayliss recipe. Skirt was seared on a comal then sliced across the grain.

Posted Image

Edited by Ashen, 05 January 2013 - 07:13 PM.

"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow

#65 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Pastrami for dinner. Just sliced pastrami. Made the beef cheek version and, after six days' worth of preparation and waiting, I just wanted to eat pure, unadulterated pastrami.

Posted Image

#66 rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject
  • participating member
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Pastrami for dinner. Just sliced pastrami. Made the beef cheek version and, after six days' worth of preparation and waiting, I just wanted to eat pure, unadulterated pastrami.

Posted Image

Now THAT is a thing of beauty..*swoon*

#67 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

very nice, Rico.

Posted Image

Vegetable tasting plate.

Left: Endive and carrot salad, Castelvetrano olive vinaigrette.
Right: Onion and shallot confit.

Posted Image

Oven-roasted wild cod, colcannon

Not a completely "white" plate of food, thankfully. ;)

#68 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Leftover colcannon will probably reappear as colcannon cakes (that is if it solidifies enough in the fridge, as I think I overestimated by adding too much cream), and be served for tomorrow's breakfast, with a poached egg or two.

#69 benthescientist

benthescientist
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Bit of a southern US theme for me tonight (from Aus.), and the next six given the quantity!

A simple chilli with beef mince and kidney beans, a black beans and rice mix and cornbread using andiesenji's recipe from the bean thread.

2013-01-06-Chilli-Beans-Corn-1.jpg

#70 benthescientist

benthescientist
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

Posted Image

Beautiful.

#71 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yes that pastrami is the most gorgeous thing so far this year!

#72 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yes that pastrami is the most gorgeous thing so far this year!

Sure is. Beef cheek pastrami. Just fabulous idea

#73 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

A simple dinner after shopping/restocking at my local Chinese grocery last night.

Roast pork rewarmed/skin recrisped in the oven.
Collard greens soup, w/ cilantro & smashed garlic.
White rice (Hom Mali).

DSCN7424a_1k.jpg

#74 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Took a day off from Chinese to try something from The Food Of Morocco, which I got for Christmas. It's funny, I recently made a Parsi chicken with apricot dish. This one was even better. Though, as usual with Wolfert recipes, it turned out to be far more involved and time-consuming that a quick skim would suggest. Nonetheless incredible - one of my favorite new dishes.

While the marinated chicken cooks with onions in the tagine, you simmer butter, sugar, cinnamon and the apricots down to a syrupy glaze:

apricots_in_butter.jpg

This then goes in the tagine along with some fresh herbs and they cook until the meat is falling off the bone:

apricots_chicken_in_tagine.jpg

The final step is a quick glaze under the broiler, followed by a scattering of pine nuts.

chicken_apricots_final.jpg

#75 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

That doesn't look anything like the apricot chicken of the 1970s which if I remember correctly used powdered soup and apricot nectar. Give me your version anytime.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#76 David Ross

David Ross
  • host
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Now THAT is a thing of beauty..*swoon*

Wow, that is beautiful. Brisket-smishket. I'm going to use beef cheek for my next pastrami.

#77 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow - thank you all for the kind words! I wish I could take credit for the idea of using beef cheeks, but alas, it was gleaned from Volume 3 of Modernist Cuisine. It is remarkably good, and I'll be making it again, perhaps weekly. Went with cherry wood for the smoke.

#78 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Mostly leftovers tonight (which is totally fine, as I don't feel much like cooking), BUT

here was a very simple app that took about 20 min to put together.

003.JPG

Poached farm egg, onion and shallot confit, Castelvetrano olives, buttery fried bread crumbs.

The bread crumbs are 3 T. coarse bread crumbs (sea salt, black pepper, Italian parsley) fried in 1 T. unsalted butter.

#79 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Patrick – gorgeous beef stroganoff!

Percyn – Oh, my goodness! That lobster thermidor is lovely. Good thing that you had it for NYE – it’s bad luck to eat lobster (or chicken) for New Year’s day.

Robirdstx – your chicken pot pie looks just exactly how I like them. Lots of chicken and gravy and not a lot of icky cooked carrots! (And I appreciate you posting the recipe).

Soba – gorgeous pasta! I got myself a pasta machine with a gift card and have already decided that I want the pappardelle attachment! And I particularly love the looks of the colcannon, too!

Basquecook – deeply impressed with that gorgeous looking and sounding spread! The skin on the little guy looks amazing. I’d have been tempted to selfishly keep it all to myself and bring it out of the kitchen ‘naked’!

Rico – I am sitting here at 1:20am CRAVING pastrami. The closest I can get is deli ham and white bread. Crap.

I’m going to go ahead and put my Christmas meals here, since I can’t seem to find a ‘Christmas dinner’ thread. A pre-Christmas meal that I found on my camera - cheeseburgers, mac and cheese and succotash:
Posted Image

This was the year that I changed how we did our Christmas Eve celebration. Gone was the sit down dinner for 50. The last few years almost no one came on time and many refused to respond to the invitation at all, or gave a yes and then didn’t show up. I decided last year that if they were going to treat the night like an open house, that was what they were going to get. Nothing that had to be served piping hot, nothing that required a table and a knife and fork. It was mostly finger food and mostly room temperature. The spread included a relish tray with olives, pickles and celery:
Posted Image

Crudités and dips, fruits, cheeses and crackers:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Gruyere and chive gougères (a popular choice this year, I noticed):
Posted Image

White bean dip and green olive tapenade with pita chips:
Posted Image

Liptauer cheese spread with pumpernickel and rye bread:
Posted Image

Rachel’s chicken salad w/ mini croissants:
Posted Image

My mother’s shrimp mousse:
Posted Image

Mr. Kim’s smoked ham and mini biscuits (purchased):
Posted Image

Everything was delicious and extremely well received and it was a much easier party to prepare for. I found myself looking for things to do that day. We still had folks that didn’t bother to show, but that is just a given with our relatives/friends and we’ve just decided that we have to roll with that. We had too much food, as always. I think that next year, I won’t bother with all the fruit, maybe just some grapes. And 4 cheeses were too much. Cubed Cheddar and Gouda is enough, I think. The vegetables were popular, but I did too much of each of them. This is definitely the way that I’ll go from now on.

I didn’t change my ‘goodies’ – these are always basically the same. The dessert table:
Posted Image
It included lemon chess tarts, mince tarts, peanut butter cookies and caramel covered marshmallows:
Posted Image

Sugar cookies & Turtle candy (pretzels, Rolos and pecan halves):
Posted Image

Happy Accident candy (the detritus from Sponge candy mixed with melted Cadbury bars):
Posted Image

Candied pecans and iced almond clusters, gluten free sugar cookies (I can’t find a picture of them unwrapped – but they were just round sugar cookies), sponge candy and peanut brittle:
Posted Image

I also can’t find pictures of the fudge, but I made my usual ones – milk chocolate and Reeses Cup.

Since we didn’t do our traditional Christmas Eve meal, I decided to do it for Christmas night. We invited some friends and my mother was here, so it was just 10 of us. Our friends brought the turkey and some sides and bread, so it was a fairly easy meal to do.
I somehow missed getting a picture of the turkey, but we also had leftover ham:
Posted Image

Oyster dressing and cornbread dressing:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Salad with 2 dressings (my dad’s paprika and Marlene’s bleu cheese):
Posted Image

Fruit salad:
Posted Image

Rachel’s ‘pammina cheese’ and celery:
Posted Image

Potato salad:
Posted Image

Cheese potatoes:
Posted Image

Orange-Cranberry sauce:
Posted Image

“The Gravy”:
Posted Image

Sweet potatoes with bourbon syrup on the side:
Posted Image
Dhfrhfhfieoggijrp

I was sick with a bad cold from the 27th through the first, so all we ate were leftovers and OPF (other people’s food), but I did manage to make us our New Year’s Day lucky meal – ham:
Posted Image

Black eyed peas:
Posted Image

Scalloped tomatoes:
Posted Image

Au gratin potatoes:
Posted Image
(not lucky, I just got a craving for gooey, cheesy potatoes)

Collards:
Posted Image

Cornbread muffins:
Posted Image
(I don’t think that these are among the lucky foods, but they ARE obligatory with greens)

Plate:
Posted Image

Between my lingering cold, redeeming gift cards and using Groupons that were expiring, I haven’t cooked much this past week. Tonight, though, we were craving grilled cheese and salads:
Posted Image
(My new salad bowls – got a Crate & Barrel gift card)

Posted Image
Grilled American, Gruyere and Parm w/ Dijon mustard on some onion rolls that I had in the freezer. The onion roll was a really nice change.

#80 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

wow, what a spread.. Looks beautiful.. I too do an open house for Christmas Every year.. it is much better that way as people come and go and there is a lot less pressure on the hosts. I would have and still want to eat everything you made. And i love how you have so many different dishes from family members. Your mother's mousse, your father's paprika dressing. This is very emblematic of the importance of food in our culture and pretty much who we are.

Can you tell me more about your mother's shrimp mousse.
“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#81 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Great meals everyone, it all looks amazing :smile:

Dinner was pizza with my new favorite topping,,Jalapeno stuffed olives.. :wub:
Pizza 1
Posted Image

Pizza 2
Posted Image

Shane

#82 Mr Holloway

Mr Holloway
  • participating member
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Kim- what an amazing selection of food.
by the end of the pictures, I was stuffed :laugh:

All the best in 2013 :smile:
Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway, 07 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#83 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

Chicken Galantine, stuffed with spinach, spring onions, lemon zest and emental cheese. Finished with a pan sauce.
Was delicious, but the white meat was a bit dry.

#84 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I’m going to go ahead and put my Christmas meals here, since I can’t seem to find a ‘Christmas dinner’ thread.

Kim, is there even the slightest chance that I can convince you next year that I actually am a long lost family member and that it's vitally important that I attend the Christmas meals and reconnect with the family? :biggrin:
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#85 PeterLG

PeterLG
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Sunday Dinner was sous vide roast.

Created a dry rub with rosemary, crushed juniper berries, thyme, kosher salt & pepper. Vacuum sealed the whole sirloin steak (1.1kg) with the rub and held at 1C for 24 hours to marinate. Then about four hours in a 56C sousvide waterbath. Dried the surface & browned with a MAPP blowtorch. Sliced thin, dressed lightly w/ redwine sauce & and served with salad.

Slicing. Nice even color from practically edge to edge.
Food (5 of 8).jpg

And ready to serve.
Food (8 of 8).jpg

#86 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Scallops with blood orange cream sauceimage.jpg
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#87 jvalentino

jvalentino
  • participating member
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Made a shoulder ham tonight. I did a 48hr brine in 5% salt, 3% grade b maple syrup and pink salt. Smoke roasted at 225 and glazed w maple syrup and bourbon. Served on homemade rolls w Merkts Sharp Cheddar Spread. Very tasty, except next time I will give it 3 days in the brine-there was a spot in the center the size .50 piece that didn't get cured.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#88 Ranz

Ranz
  • participating member
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

You people make some gorgeous food. Peter, the colour on that roast is amazing.

#89 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Late posting, but here's the Wellington I made for Christmas. Came out really well!

Whole Wellington.jpg

Cut Wellington.jpg

#90 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Sunday Dinner was sous vide roast.

Created a dry rub with rosemary, crushed juniper berries, thyme, kosher salt & pepper. Vacuum sealed the whole sirloin steak (1.1kg) with the rub and held at 1C for 24 hours to marinate. Then about four hours in a 56C sousvide waterbath. Dried the surface & browned with a MAPP blowtorch. Sliced thin, dressed lightly w/ redwine sauce & and served with salad.

Slicing. Nice even color from practically edge to edge.
Food (5 of 8).jpg

And ready to serve.
Food (8 of 8).jpg

Welcome to eGullet Peter. Looking forward to some more of this nice looking food.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog