Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Orange slice/spearmint leaves recipe?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CurlySue

CurlySue
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Some of my favorite candies are the jelly/gummy type like orange slices and spearmint leaves:
http://www.candyblog...pearmint_leaves

I have searched and searched for a recipe to make candies like these. I found and tried one that included sugar, corn syrup and pectin as the base ingredients. It was an epic fail as I ended up with two pans of slightly gelled goo. Every recipe I seem to find (and there aren't many) seem to include pectin and I don't want to try that again since I failed at it already and I know I followed the recipe exactly.

The website in the link says the candy ingredients show sugar, corn syrup and cornstarch for gelling.

Can anyone help me with a recipe for these candies that doesn't inlcude pectin as the gelling agent? I would be forever grateful. I'd like to add them to my candy gifts this year as an alternative to the overload of chocolate I usually make!

Thank you.

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,575 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Large batch - 100 lbs of candy
water 12 qts
sugar 30 lbs
cornstarch 30 lbs - dissolved in another 12 quarts of water
tartaric acid solution - 1 ounce
cream of tartar - dissolved in water 3 tsp
oil of spearmint - 5 tsp

Water, sugar and corn syrup until dissolved. Bring to a boil, add starch slurry gradually. Stir in tartaric and cream of tartar. Cook to 226º F. Pour out into a copper pan. Add flavour.

Cast at 140º F in impressions (starch moulds). Leave 2 days in a 150º F room, brush free of starch, dampen and sugar.

#3 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Where do you find the 150 degree room?

#4 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,575 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Where do you find the 150 degree room?

I think you make it - in your dehydrator or oven.

#5 CurlySue

CurlySue
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thank you, Kerry. I can obviously scale this recipe to my little home kitchen. Do you think the starch molds are necessary? I know in some candies the starch reacts with the ingredients to form a shell of sorts. I'd like to keep this simple and maybe just pour the liquid into a pan. I could dry in a dehydrator, but not a whole pan. Hmmm. Maybe some experimenting is in order.

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,575 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

A pan or perhaps silicone moulds if you have them (ice cube makers?)