Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Heston Blumenthal at Home"

Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 Todd in Chicago

Todd in Chicago
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Team....

I also FINALLY made the olive oil poached salmon over smashed potatoes with bois boudran sauce.  We liked it, and would have it again (which is a good thing since I have enough for 3 more dinners (saucewise)), but I fudged the potatoes which came out without enough texture and a darker color.  There were still pretty good, but I know what I did wrong.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Attached Images

• 2013021995220904.jpg

#92 EnriqueB

EnriqueB
  • participating member
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

I made the Marmite consommé a few weeks ago.  Just had some over the weekend, and it was good.  Very funny the stunning amount of vegetables that goes into making so very few portions.

We did like it, and kind of what Heston said, can be used as a substitute for Beef Broth, which is what it tasted like!  A good complex one though.  I served it with enoki mushrooms and sliced scallions.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Thanks Todd, maybe I should give it a try again.

#93 ninagluck

ninagluck
  • participating member
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

I did the chicken liver creme brulee the other day, delicious!

Attached Images

• cteme brulee.jpg

#94 Ttogull

Ttogull
  • participating member
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have cooked, or used as inspiration, many of the recipes from Blumenthal's books. For some reason, the way he does things really clicks with my taste buds. I think his "In Search of Perfection" books work better in tandem with watching his shows where I think he does a better job of explaining the whys behind the elaborate techniques.

A few days ago, I had an extra boar belly. I decided to give long cook sous vide one more chance. For some reason, it has not appealed to me. It's a texture issue or something. I did lots of research, and found that Heston's recipe for pork belly called for a lower temp (140F) and less time (18 hours) than most. MCAH, for example, calls for 149F for 36 hours as the preferred time. I tried Heston's. Success! I loved it! It was tender, juicy, flavorful, and had just the right chew. The only seasoning came from a 10 hour brine followed by a 1 hour soaking with the water changed every 15 minutes. I think I now see a way forward with long time SV in a way that will appeal to me.

I also made tandoor chicken using his chicken tikka masala recipe. I didn't make the masala sauce, and just grilled the chicken. It still took 2 days. Awesome-est chicken ever! Intense garlic, ginger, and masala. Juicy and fall apart tender.

Being raised in Texas, I make a lot of chili and am super proud of it (never say a bad word about a Texan's chili). What could a Brit teach me? I followed quite a few of the ideas from his "Perfection" book and show. It took a couple of days to make, whereas I usually only need 8 hours or so. My wife has eaten my chili for 20 years. I put the Heston-inspired chili in front of her. "I'm sorry. You put a lot of time into this, and it's a lot of work. But THIS is REALLY good chili, and I hope you do it again."

He even changed my daily pasta. I used to buy the ubiquitous Barilla brand , but his description of what he likes in pasta made me change. Now there is only one store I know of in my immediate area that carries brass-extruded, slow dried pasta. The cheapest is the Fresh Market brand, which they claim is made for them in Umbria.

#95 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

The 'at Home' chilli con carne is forgettable, I discovered. Changing from the short ribs of the Perfection version to the mince of this one was a bad decision.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#96 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Then tonight, I made the garden salad with sauce gribiche for a potluck. To say it was a big hit would be an understatement. And so fun to do! I'm going to do a couple of big ones for an event next week. Will probably doctor up the sauce gribiche with some cream cheese to give it a little more bulk and a consistency more capable of holding up aspargus spears.

380177_383945488317870_227866787259075_9

that looks great! I'm thinking of making this for Thanksgiving, but am confused about the grape nuts. Does he mean the cereal or real pits from grapes? I somewhat think the cereal, as the real ones are quite bitter, but want to be sure. Also can't find "real" grape nuts or stones, which also makes me think it's the cereal. Is it?

• judiu likes this
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#97 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Oliver, judging from the picture, Grape Nuts cereal is what was used. I've never heard of grape seeds called grape "nuts", either! HTH!
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#98 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

thanks, I think you're right. Read up on them, they've been around since the late 1800, so I guess they're known in Britain as well. Sounds better than the bitter real things too :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cookbook