Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Breville "smart oven"

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#61 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

further thoughts on Toast: it has a max setting of '7' for toast. it you are toasting home made with no sugar, it might not brown enough for you.

I also noticed that near the end of the cycle the radiant heat sources dim and come back on and dim etc. This must have a temp controller doing this rather than continuing with a Radiant Blast for toast.

in the end for the type of bread i toast: thick 1/3 WwholeWheat/WhiteFlour the toast gets fairly baked and on the dry side because of that.

Im thinking of doing par toast cycle and part broil. but for the $$ this seems to be a flaw of sorts.

that being said, Im sure Students of the BVille hear have read the manual, one think Puppy maybe there is a solution in there for this problem.

:rolleyes:

#62 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

After looking these I balked at the price of the "high end" models. Paying $250 for a glorified toaster oven is ridiculous IMO. So in 2010 I bought a GE convection toaster oven for $50 at Target and specifically wanted analog dials not a LCD or digital readout that could go out. One can set a timer or set it so it stays on until turned off. It measures 12x12x8 inside, goes over 500F and does all the same things as the Breville for 1/5 of the price. Not as pretty though...

I keep mine in the garage normally and at the height of Summer it goes outside on the patio table. Sure as hell ain't cranking it on inside when I want baked potatoes and the AC is struggling as it is.

That being said it sucks at doing toast quickly, or I just haven't figured that part out. :rolleyes:

#63 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

After looking these I balked at the price of the "high end" models. Paying $250 for a glorified toaster oven is ridiculous IMO. So in 2010 I bought a GE convection toaster oven for $50 at Target and specifically wanted analog dials not a LCD or digital readout that could go out. One can set a timer or set it so it stays on until turned off. It measures 12x12x8 inside, goes over 500F and does all the same things as the Breville for 1/5 of the price. Not as pretty though...

I keep mine in the garage normally and at the height of Summer it goes outside on the patio table. Sure as hell ain't cranking it on inside when I want baked potatoes and the AC is struggling as it is.

That being said it sucks at doing toast quickly, or I just haven't figured that part out. :rolleyes:

LOL...I have a $30 Black n Decker.....it works great, except it won't fit a standard quarter sheet pan. That's why I was considering the Breville.

#64 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

An expensive selling point to be sure! When I got mine home it was a disappointment as that hadn't occurred to me at the time. Despite this I haven't looked back until today!

#65 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

We use the heck out of the BSO and love the thing. Its the right size for dishes for up to four servings and heats up quickly without heating the kitchen. The $250 amortized vs usage makes it the cheapest appliance in the kitchen for us.

#66 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

I agree with all the above. i use mine a lotmore that toast. but the toast fx could be vastly improved!

#67 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:11 AM

They are $140 off at Chefs.com

http://www.chefscata...3c9d38&sp=1&re=

#68 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

either the price just went up or Chefs is making up the list price:  BB&B still sells the large for $ 249 and you always  always go in there with a 20 % off coupon.

#69 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Weasels

#70 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

Exactly.  they are everywhere.    :blink:

#71 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:34 AM

either the price just went up or Chefs is making up the list price:  BB&B still sells the large for $ 249 and you always  always go in there with a 20 % off coupon.

So I did just that. 

Was a little worried that it might be too big in my small apt kitchen but it's not.  I love it.  Haven't turned the big oven on since I got this.  And as far as space goes, it's even been something of a boon, because now I'm using the big oven for pots & pans storage. 

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#72 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Me too. One oven is now full of pots.

#73 lancastermike

lancastermike
  • legacy participant
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

We have one and it is a cool device indeed. gets lots of use. and i like toast and I think it does a pretty nice job with it as well as bagels

#74 Monte

Monte
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Newbie member here. Read all the comments on the full size Breville Smart Oven. We have had our unit for over two years now and use it every day. We purchased this on watching the video and reading the comparison on Cooks Illustrated. We are very impressed!

Want to add the following points of interest:

1. We purchased the Breville cutting board to sit on top of the unit. Some reviewers were concerned with the heat of this oven. There is no problem with the sides, front or back, but the top can get warm. We put all the accessories on the cutting board. Works out great.

2. We purchased the 13" round pizza stone for making pizza and breads. The preheat if half the time as our larger stone we use in the main oven. (I do not know the manners yet on this forum, but have spent a lot of time researching pizza making for the Breville Oven- can give more advice if you want).

3. A 10" cake flipper is ideal for removing bread loafs and pizza from the oven.

4. Being able to use 1/4" baking sheet to us was a deal maker. Fits perfect and as only the wife & I are left, it is perfect for smaller portions.

5. Tested the temperature with an instant thermometer and discovered the setting held the heat, even at 500 degrees

6. We use the heating function every day, as we are both slow eaters and do not like the food getting cool. Works great. When I barbecue I preheat a large plate and small plate, per person, to use to rest the meat. The meat sits on top of the smaller plate, juices drip onto the large plate. Cover with foil and the meat stays hot.

7. Making toast is perfect. We but the triangle buns from Costco and they toast up perfect. I am not positive on the bagel selection, but I think only the top of the bagel toasts and bottom warms. I could be wrong on this point

8. Making baguette with al the toppings is a snap. The 1/4 sheet pan is a life saver, as it collects all the cheese that over flows. Very fast and easy to prepare

9. Open face sandwiches are easy to make. In our case I then to leave the shelf in the middle for broiling as our sandwiches tend to high.

10. Cleanup if extremely easy. Simply pull out the bottom tray and clean up.

Hope some of these points are a help to you. We purchased our unit at Bed & Beyond and were very pleased. We have a number of Breville products and find them a bit expensive but well worth buying.

For those of you considering the smaller version. Beware the 1/4 bake sheet will not fit and that sheet get used very of ton, especially if you are single or a couple.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#75 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Good points. Welcome Monte.

#76 Melic

Melic
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

I've had this oven for more than 3 years, and it's the best money I've ever spent on an appliance. 

Big enough to handle almost anything I need an oven for, love the convection feature, everything comes out perfect, and as a bonus it makes better toast than any toaster or toaster oven I ever had.

I got the cutting board too, and as others have mentioned, keeping it stored on top of the oven takes care of the hot top problem just fine.

Only "issue" is the time limit on the controls, but since I've never done a braise in the oven, it's just something to note and deal with if I ever decide to use it for more than 2 hours.

Definitely worth the money.

#77 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have one. Beats the heck out of a similar Krups I used to own. Does a great job with roasting vegetables, baking a potato, top browning/broiling an open-face sandwich, cooking an Amy's frozen pizza, and toasting frozen (or fresh) bagels. Good for warming plates, too. Regular toast is OK -- perfect on one side but striped on the other because of the grates. Worth the money. Buy it and don't look back.

I just re-read this thread. I have a Krups that while adequate, I am not entirely happy with. Can you tell me in what ways the Breville beats out the Krups? I am already sold on the idea that a quarter sheet pan will fit into it as I use those a lot, and also that it will fit a pizza. My problem is the Krups is not all that old so I am having trouble justifying the purchase of a Breville.

#78 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have one. Beats the heck out of a similar Krups I used to own. Does a great job with roasting vegetables, baking a potato, top browning/broiling an open-face sandwich, cooking an Amy's frozen pizza, and toasting frozen (or fresh) bagels. Good for warming plates, too. Regular toast is OK -- perfect on one side but striped on the other because of the grates. Worth the money. Buy it and don't look back.

I just re-read this thread. I have a Krups that while adequate, I am not entirely happy with. Can you tell me in what ways the Breville beats out the Krups? I am already sold on the idea that a quarter sheet pan will fit into it as I use those a lot, and also that it will fit a pizza. My problem is the Krups is not all that old so I am having trouble justifying the purchase of a Breville.

I ran into the same dilemma. I eventually decided to take the plunge based on the reviews (and floor model pricing from Williams-Sonoma), and figuring that because the Krups was still relatively new, I could recoup some of the purchase price by selling it on Craigslist. Also, I mentally amortized the cost over its expected 15-year (I hoped) life span; after deducting the expected selling price of the Krups, about four cents a day seemed like a good investment.

The Breville's capacity is a huge advantage for me, too. That, in and of itself, would have been sufficient. (Just the other day I baked banana bread in two 9" x 5" loaf pans at the same time.) It also does a better job of toasting frozen bagels (the ones we cut in half and freeze, not the frozen ones from the store); baking more evenly; and, for Ms. Alex, toasting Pop-Tarts to the proper degree.

I hope this helps.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#79 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:41 AM

Alex, thank you for responding. How does well does this oven broil? The Krups, when set on broil, cycles on and off. Does the Breville do the same thing or does the broil element stay on until you turn it off?

#80 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

The Breville cycles during the broil but it broils great.

#81 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Cycling is the  rule with electric broilers, I believe.

#82 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

it also cycles with toasting, which might not be such a good idea, as it then 'bakes' thinner pieces of toast so they are uniformly crispy.  you may like that type of toast or not.

I use home made bread (machine bread) and cut it thicker which solves that issue for me.   I like toast with an external crunch but some softness in the middle.

#83 Alex

Alex
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I've used Broil only for melting cheese or top browing, which it does just fine.

Gene Weingarten, writing in The Washington Post about online news stories and their readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"A vasectomy might cost as much as a year’s worth of ice cream, but that doesn’t mean it’s equally enjoyable." -Ezra Dyer, NY Times

#84 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

I tried broiling salmon filets in my BSO with poor results.  It didn't seem to get hot enough to do the job.

I've since gone back to using my big oven for that.  Otherwise, it does everything else I've tried exceptionally well and I agree with the previous poster who said it was about the best money ever spent on a small appliance.

#85 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

My BSO broiler is a hot little mother. Do you have a bad unit?

#86 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

My BSO broiler is a hot little mother. Do you have a bad unit?

Or do you perhaps not put the rack up high enough?

My broiler, like gfweb's, is plenty hot.

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#87 Mrs. Mumford

Mrs. Mumford
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

My first post! I don't use the broiler often, but it seems to be a higher temp than my conventional oven broiler. For all of those cooks, waiting on the fence before plunking down their hard earned dollars for an expensive toaster oven, consider that every time you use this oven versus your conventional, you are saving money on "killer watts", my term for the higher billing tier on the electric bill. I couldn't understand when my bill started going down. January is always my highest month 300.00 to 375.00,this year it was 265.00. After digging through my old bills I discovered my BSO was paying for itself. The savings are probably highest for us "empty nesters". I just got the pizza stone and used it to cook my focaccia bread, it came out perfect. By the way, I love my BSO!

#88 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for your responses. Today I took the plunge and purchased one. I don't get it until August as the store I bought it from had them on sale and I was told they sold like hotcakes and all they had left was the floor model. I did not want the floor model so they were kind enough to order a new one for me at the sale price. Something to look forward it. I also bought the pizza stone and the cutting board and have ordered the 121/2" Big Daddios pizza peel. So should be all set to cook when it arrives. They were nice enough to discount the stone and cutting board as well so it has been my lucky day.

#89 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

ElsieD

congratulations.  not so much for the BreVille, but the Great Price!  why pay more?

I made a small mistake and got the smaller BV as it fit exactly in a place in my Kitchen.  should have got the Bigger and done some housekeeping!

#90 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

My Breville oven arrived yesterday and I decided that the first thing I would do is cook up a frozen pizza. I actually did read the directions, just unfortunately, the wrong ones. I read the directions for NOT using a pizza stone when in fact I WAS using a pizza stone. So, since I did not pre-heat properly, I was left with a sodden mess. I managed to get the very wet pizza off the stone, more or less in one piece and right side up and into a non -stick frying pan. I then heated this up on the stove until the crust sort of firmed up enough so we could eat it.

So my question is - how well do the instructions in the manual for pre-heating work?

Also, when I first turn the oven on to pre-heat, the fan sounds like it's rattling in its housing. It isn't real loud, but it is quite audible. Then, after one minute it quiets down. Is this normal?

Off to try making some toast.