Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Ideas for an Anti-Valentines Cocktail?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

This if for a party called Slaughtered Hearts Klub Massacre and Dance ... theme will be anti-valentines. Everyone will be as unatractive as can be, will flaunt their loneliness, and be asked (probably unconvincingly) to observe the no-hookup rule.

I'm thining it should be
-red
-sour
-bitter

It shouldn't actually be disgusting, but it might have ingredients that sound questionable. Like Godiva liqueur.

Except for the last part, I'm a big fan of the Negroni. But we're open to trying something new or inventing something.

Any ideas?

Edited by paulraphael, 24 January 2011 - 11:22 AM.

#2 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Alkaseltzer. For... heartburn. Sorry. But it is about the most unromanic thing I can think of, aside from prune juice. I don't actually think prune juice is disgusting, so how about prune juice, tonic water, and gin?

Bailey's (which I do find disgusting) and gin? With a sour grape as a garnish?

Why should it be red? Red so all Valentine's Day-ish. But if you want red and bitter, there's always Campari.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#3 natasha1270

natasha1270
  • participating member
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

From Martha: Bleeding Heart Martini
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

#4 TongoRad

TongoRad
  • participating member
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

I don't know what it's called, but I've had a prosecco cocktail (with a little Campari and lemon juice) that would probably fit the bill. Definitely has bitter and tart elements, and is on the red side.
aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."
"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

#5 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

How about my Bitter, Bitter, Bitter, Bitter:

Had people over - not a drinking crowd but a couple of people appreciated the knickerbockers. I was in the mood for something bitter, bitter, bitter so I had:

2 oz Campari
1 tsp Fernet
ice,
stir,
top with Italian Bitter lemon soda
3 shakes Fees Aromatic bitters

Puckering and refreshing.

The Fernet Branca should meet the discusting (to some) criterion. It certainly is high maintenance. And highballs built in the glass are convenient for parties. You can use Italian soda or (English?) bitter lemon soda.
It's almost never bad to feed someone.

#6 Mano

Mano
  • participating member
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

"The Pathetic Loser."

2 oz Five O'Clock gin
1 tbs red MD 20/20
ice, shake, strain and serve in a low profile olive jar with a ripped paper drink umbrella

Edited by Mano, 24 January 2011 - 02:26 PM.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”
Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

#7 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

"The Pathetic Loser."

2 oz Five O'Clock gin
1 tbs red MD 20/20
ice, shake, strain and serve in a low profile olive jar with a ripped paper drink umbrella

HAH! That reminds me of 'The soiled Kimono':

HOW TO MAKE
A SOILED KIMONO

Mix 2/3 glass costly
French champagne

With 1/3 glass Japanese
plum wine

And top with a
paper butterfly.

But that might taste good. How about some Danish tippling, with the 'Fire Truck'?
Take a plastic cup, and tip in some Jægermeister. Top up with Red Bull. Drink. Repeat until you feel jolly enough to begin dancing.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#8 chileheadmike

chileheadmike
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

How's about a Rusty Nail?

Scotch
Drambuie (SP)
That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

#9 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Does it have to be red? What about blue -which usually has the opposite connotations of red? That said, I cannot think of a decent blue drink.

Pomegranate juice is sour and red, how about using it in a gin-based daisy, where you substitute fresh grapefruit juice for the lemon/lime to give it a bitter boost? Garnish with a 'twist' of the grapefruit rind, but, pith only -discarding the outer rind usually used for a twist.

#10 David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb
  • participating member
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

My wife and I are planning to go to Purple Yam for their special Maine-themed Valentine's Day menu, but they're serving it the Saturday before Valentine's day, which happens to be Lincoln's Birthday, and I would think that a cocktail inspired by Lincoln's Birthday could be fairly unromantic.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb, 24 January 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#11 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

To me, "red and bitter" says Campari.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#12 Big Mike

Big Mike
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

"The Pathetic Loser."

2 oz Five O'Clock gin
1 tbs red MD 20/20

Brilliant

[size="3"]I have simple tastes. I am always satisfied with the best - Oscar Wilde[/size]

The Easy Bohemian

#13 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:03 AM

How about my Bitter, Bitter, Bitter, Bitter:

This is scarily close to my drink of the same name:
http://www.kindredco...r-bitter-bitter
2 oz Aperol (or Campari)
1/2 oz Lemon juice
1 t Fernet Branca
3 ds Old Fashion bitters
5 ds Lemon bitters
2 oz Seltzer

OP: Lot's of Campari ideas, if you're interested:
http://www.kindredco...redient=Campari
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#14 mkspriing

mkspriing
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

JAMES BROWN (GODFATHER OF FUNK)

INGREDIENTS

30ml Chambord
15ml Sloe Gin
30ml funkin Blackcurrant Puree
15ml funkin Pure Pour Lemon Juice
20ml funkin Sugar Syrup
1 Espresso Shot
GLASS
A Tall Vintage Style Glass
GARNISH
Crushed Ice Crown

#15 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

Want prunes? It's quite good.
Dirt in my Drink
1 oz Batavia Arrack
1 oz Cynar
1 oz Prune juice
1/2 oz Rye
1/2 oz Lime juice

#16 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

Oh, my. Please accept my most sincere apologies to haresfur. This was his creation, which I slightly adapted only because I couldn't find bitter lemon. I had incorrect attribution notes when I imported this recipe into Kindred Cocktail this past summer. Again, my apologies to haresur. I have updated Kindred Cocktails to credit haresfur as the creator.

#17 cdh

cdh
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Why not just straight Campari?
Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

----- De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

#18 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

For violence there's always a Black and Blue Shooter. But nothing says no romance like Mezcal with a worm.

#19 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

Red is all wrong, that says Valentine. And I'm offended by the use of Campari, my favorite summer drink. I suggest black. Something foul, like a licorice martini, colored with black food coloring.

#20 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

Oh, my. Please accept my most sincere apologies to haresfur. This was his creation, which I slightly adapted only because I couldn't find bitter lemon. I had incorrect attribution notes when I imported this recipe into Kindred Cocktail this past summer. Again, my apologies to haresur. I have updated Kindred Cocktails to credit haresfur as the creator.

No worries mate! Sent you a pm.

#21 vice

vice
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

My mind, too, instantly went to Campari and the Negroni. Perhaps an indication that direction is too on the nose? Then how about one of the many fabulous riffs: Tiare's Signora Rossa subs out gin for mezcal, yielding a potion redolent of scorched hearts and burnt bridges (incidentally, I'm on the fence about her coup de grace--a squeeze of lime. Just doesn't sit right with me, but YMMV).
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#22 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Why a red drink? When I think anti-Valentine, something Halloween-y comes to mind. Something revolting-looking, perhaps a riff on a Halloween drink? Red, pink, & white just scream Valentines Day to me.

#23 haresfur

haresfur
  • participating member
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Another Campari variation with a great name and fitting back-story is this one from Erik Ellestad:

Some friends asked me to come up with a cocktail for a collaborative zine project they are working on.

The zine is based around a group of wood cuts and illustrations by one of the artists.

Criteria:

Crab malice. An angry crab on rocks in a glass. The cocktail of choice for a certain octopus who lives in the waters near Alcatraz. The octopus is in love with a swimmer. They can never be together for obvious reasons. oh yeah, as in the past and as it will probably be in the future, parts of the city are underwater.

A bittersweet and whimsical love triangle.

This one stumped me for quite a while. For obvious reasons I thought it should be bitter, but wasn't sure what to use for a base spirit. The deadline for the project actually passed. But a note of salvation! The deadline had been extended! Then yesterday, uh duh, Campari occurred to me. Sheesh! Red like a crab!

Posted Image

Crab Malice Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Campari
3/4 oz White Cuban Style Rum
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Cointreau

Shake with ice and strain into an ice filled glass. Top with soda water or selzer.

Whew! We've got bitterness and a nice red crab-like color. A nautical theme from the rum and the bubbles from the selzer. Actually, now thinking, a nice long lime peel twist made with a vegetable peeler around the side of the glass would up the aromatic quotient, and be kind of sea weedy. As a special bonus, it's pretty darn tasty and refreshing, as long as you don't mind bitterness (no super tasters need apply!)

edit - The only cocktail that I sort of had in mind when making this was the Jasmine. Similar ingredients, but inverted proportions to make up for using selzer and rocks. Aside from the Americano, is there anything else it is similar to?

#24 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

These suggestsions are all amazing. We may have to have a pre-party to test cocktails.

The winner will likely be something we mix by the pitcher, since we are not merely bitter but lazy.

#25 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

The idea of black has seemed very appealing over the past few days. Cruzan blackstrap rum is very close to being black in color, and, if served in blue tinted glassware would make a very cool black and blue drink. It also has a lightly bitter, almost burnt, flavor -which would be perfect.

Some basic ideas:

The Dead Date
black rum & tonic with no citrus, place a dried date on the rim as a garnish

The Corazón Libre
black rum & cola (I prefer Jolt) float a kumquat on top

For a large quantity drink, David Wondrich's Rum Punch is excellent, and if you use the black rum you will get a very black drink.

#26 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:25 AM

Oh, black, good idea. How about black and red? This is one of my all-time favorites, combining Black Balsams (the Latvian digestif) and Campari.

Midnight Ruby
1 oz Gin
1 oz Campari
1/2 oz Black Balsams
1 oz Grapefruit juice

Shake, strain, rocks, low-ball

#27 paulraphael

paulraphael
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

The Dead Date
black rum & tonic with no citrus, place a dried date on the rim as a garnish

We served Dead Dates.

Bitter, dubious looking, and popular. And easy. Added a splash of bitters for good measure.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, and happy un-anti-valentine's day.

#28 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I only regret that I could not attend, it sounds like it was fun! -Glad you enjoyed the recipe!