Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Italian Easter Pies - "Shadoons" or "Chadonnes"

Italian

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GnocchiBoy

GnocchiBoy
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Anybody else's family make these? We make then on Holy Thursday every year. We roll out the dough into rounds, then stuff with a filling of basket cheese, romano cheese, pepperoni and eggs. Roll the dough into a half moon, brush with egg yolks and bake. We also make varieties with prosciutto instead of pepperoni and ones with crabmeat or shrimp so we can eat those ones on Good Friday.
i love gnocchi

#2 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

The "chadoons" or "chadonnes" pronunciation strikes me as a bit of the same Italian-American transmutation of Italian or dialect that gives us "gabbagool" for coppacolla and similar.

Does your family by chance go back to Campobasso in the Molise region of Italy? It sounds like you're talking about sciadone di carnivale (sciadone = "sha-doe-neh"). Sounds like soppresata is the traditional filling in Campobasso, along with eggs, fresh cow cheese and aged cow cheese, and that the dough is made with wine. Of course, there are lots of "easter pie" traditions in Italy, but this one seems to be at least where the word you're using comes from. :smile:
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#3 GnocchiBoy

GnocchiBoy
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

YES! YES! YES! My family is from right outside Campobasso in Cercemaggiore. My grandfather and father always made homemade sausages and soppressata, but neither my grandmaother or mother never used it in our "Shadoons" - it's always been pepperoni, or occasionally prosciutto. We've never put wine in our dough either. But both ideas - the soppressata and the wine - sound like they're worth experimenting with this year!

I've been wondering if anybody outside our circle of family or friends ever made shadoons - sciadone! - or heard of them!

Thanks for the response, it was exciting to see a mention of the Campobasso region all the old timers in my family used to talk about so much.
i love gnocchi

#4 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

There are also, and perhaps more commonly, called sciadune ("sha-doo-neh") (e.g., this page of recipes from nearby Morrone del Sannio).
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#5 rooftop1000

rooftop1000
  • participating member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Italian-American transmutation of Italian or dialect

I love it - I live it

No Easter pies here though, I had never heard of them until I started reading Bill Ervelino's column in the Record newspaper. Funny guy and his mom make lots of pies.

tracey
The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers
Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage
garden state motorcyle association

#6 GnocchiBoy

GnocchiBoy
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

I should confirm that by "pie" I mean more of a half moon shaped filled pie. Almost like a calzone or, more crudely, a Hostess fruit pie. The dough we use is it a circle shape, we put the filling down and flip over the dough to make a half moon shaped "pie" filled with the cheeseegg and pepperoni filling.
i love gnocchi

#7 Adam Balic

Adam Balic
  • participating member
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

What dough do you use? I have a few recipes, but are looking for more.

#8 jpen1

jpen1
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Can the dough be rolled out using a pasta maker

#9 GnocchiBoy

GnocchiBoy
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

yes you can use a pasta machine to roll the dough, just make it more thin than thick, you want the pepperoni and cheeses inside to cook and melt through
i love gnocchi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Italian