Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Southern Peas

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Butterbean

Butterbean
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Thought of this thread today. Made some meguez sausage today and used some of it with couscous and some fresh peppers and peas from the garden. It took a little time to make everything from the harissa paste to the sausage but the end result was worth the trouble.

Posted Image

#32 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

What do you serve on the side? For me it is sliced tomato, a bit of bacon, and cucumber/onion salad.

I love field peas cooked with some red pepper added and then when I eat them I mix in some chowchow. Cool zippy chow chow with slightly spicy field peas. YUMYUM.

#33 Butterbean

Butterbean
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Actually, nothing. I've been trying to eat from the garden so stuff won't go to waste. Have peppers running out my ears. With this dish I was able to make use of the peppers in the harissa sauce for making the sausage and the paprika too. Other than the couscous, I think the whole dish was homegrown.

I grow a lot of field peas. Normally cook them with some salt pork or bacon but also use them in soups and stews. Like em with chow chow too or vidalia onion relish. Heck, I just like them.

#34 natasha bolis

natasha bolis
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

The Charleston Post & Courier just had an article, as well.

Funny, I saved that article!,

#35 kayb

kayb
  • society donor
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

Peas, of most any variety, are wonderful things. One should serve them with fried okra and creamed corn and sliced tomatos. Meat be damned.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com