Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Salt containers

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 alwang

alwang
  • participating member
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

I was almost about to post this question in the Too-Embarassed-To-Ask thread, but here goes: what do people use to store their kosher/sea salt for kitchen use? I've seen the little Alton Brown salt cellars: are they actually practical? What I currently do is just pour little handfuls from the box that my Morton's Kosher came in, and then use the other hand to salt.

A related question: if you're using one of those salt cellars, is it hygenic to just stick your fingers in there and grab a pinch? If I had to wash my hands everytime I needed some salt, that seems really inconvenient. Or do the anti-bacterial properties of salt make this a moot issue?

-al
---
al wang

#2 K8memphis

K8memphis
  • participating member
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

My hands of course are the epitome of clean. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

But yes we get all kinds of schtuff in our salt.

We have ours in a pretty sugar bowl that has butterfly wings for handles... and it gets butterfly poop in there I guess. :raz: Just when the salt gets low, toss the old, refill and you're all set.

#3 larrylee

larrylee
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

I have one of those AB salt cellars and I think they work just great. If I'm going to be using salt for food prep I might pour some out into a little prep dish.

#4 SheenaGreena

SheenaGreena
  • participating member
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

I have one of those salt containers that I bought from the japanese (dollar) store. It has a handle with a flip top and a little scooper to pick up the salt. I just flip the lid off and take pinches as I need them with my fingers. There is no way I could use a salt shaker because of the amount of salt I need. I'd be shaking all day
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

#5 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

I use a couple of lacquered wooden sake boxes, one for Kosher and one for Grey. I used to use little caviar spoons to scoop out the salt, but lately I've just been grabbing a pinch when I need it.

#6 KristiB50

KristiB50
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

I have the AB salt cellar and love it.

I also have some salt pigs I bought at an antique store.

I'm a compulsive hand washer.

#7 memesuze

memesuze
  • participating member
  • 520 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

I have my cooktop kosher salt in a small french canning jar lookalike - keeps it dry and I can flip open the bail closure with one hand and use my other to pinch out the salt as needed

Edited by memesuze, 05 July 2007 - 10:21 AM.

#8 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:52 AM

Salt pig, of course :biggrin:

I was mildly surprised to find that most salt pigs lack ears and tails, but these ones are adequately equipped.

#9 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

I have used a small glass prep bowl in the past, but a year or so ago picked up one of the glass condiment bowls with the flip top metal lid SheenaGreena mentioned above. I just take a pinch with my fingers. I also keep sea salt in an Italian glass jar with rubber seal and clamp closure.

#10 Porthos

Porthos
  • participating member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:13 AM

I was almost about to post this question in the Too-Embarassed-To-Ask thread, but here goes: what do people use to store their kosher/sea salt for kitchen use? 

View Post

I use a small shaker designed for parmesan cheese. I rarely measure salt when I cook but I can grab the box of Kosher salt or unscrew the lid when I do measure out salt. I think I paid all of $2 for it at Wal-Mart.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Unrelenting Carnivore
"If every pork chop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs." (source unknown)
Customer to clerk in a clothing store, "Do you have these in a size for people who actually eat?"

#11 Big Bunny

Big Bunny
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:31 AM

I use a small shaker designed for parmesan cheese.  I rarely measure salt when I cook but I can grab the box of Kosher salt or unscrew the lid when I do measure out salt.  I think I paid all of $2 for it at Wal-Mart.

View Post

Ditto to the letter, except I got mine at a sidewalk sale. It pairs nicely with the restaurant-style sugar shaker I keep sugar in.

BB
Food is all about history and geography.

#12 Bella S.F.

Bella S.F.
  • participating member
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

I use a squat, flat mason jar with a spring lid (with one of those rubber sealers around the lid.) It has a nice sized opening on the top which makes it is easy to get my hand in and grab what I want. I also like the fact that it is completely covered so that it does not get unidentified flying objects in it.

If I am seasoning meat, I try to only touch the meat with one hand and use the other hand for getting the salt and sprinkling it where I want it. If I know that I will need both hands for the meat, I put some of the salt in a small bowl so that I won't contaminate the rest of the salt. It drives me crazy when I watch people on cooking show working with the meat, then they stick their hands in a large bowl of salt, and then they use the pepper grinder. All without washing their hands. Yeh... I would really like to use that pepper mill to grind some pepper on my salad after that.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."
John Maynard Keynes

#13 menon1971

menon1971
  • participating member
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I keep mine in a small 18th C. repro stoneware bowl that was bought at a scratch and dent sale. I have yet to note much schmutz. Also, bear in mind that most living organisms need water to survive and salt usually dessicates the little nasty things like it does when curing a ham.

Edited by menon1971, 05 July 2007 - 11:43 AM.

#14 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Mine is similar to this. It has a hinged lid so I can at least keep some of the flotsam and jetsam out when I'm not in a cooking frenzy.

Posted Image
Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#15 Octaveman

Octaveman
  • participating member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

I have the large salt box from Totally Bamboo. It's awesome. The sliding top keeps it covered and is easy to open with one hand to get the salt. The large one was my preference as it's not TOO big and it holds plenty more salt than the small one.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

#16 merrybaker

merrybaker
  • participating member
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

I use a crock from Pommery mustard. It's heavy, dishwasher proof, holds a lot, and has a wide opening. I keep a plastic spoon inside to keep it clean.

#17 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:03 PM

I use a pink tupperware-like container with tulips on the lid for my fine sea salt, a yellow tupperware-like container with tulips on the lid for coarse sea salt, and a red Hello Kitty tupperware-like container for my kosher salt (these were all purchased years ago when I was on a very tight budget, and even though I can afford better containers now, I quite like them!).

I mostly just use the Hello Kitty kosher salt one for my neti pot, not for cooking, though.

#18 Jmahl

Jmahl
  • participating member
  • 816 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

I use a crock from Pommery mustard.  It's heavy, dishwasher proof, holds a lot, and has a wide opening.  I keep a plastic spoon inside to keep it clean.

View Post

Like Merrybaker I use a French mustard crock with a wooden salt spoon (that's what I call it). I don't worry about covering. If something falls into the salt it dies and is salted away.

Jmahl
The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

#19 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

I use a salt box that I bought in Barcelona. I really wish I'd bought two now. I have this one up at my cottage, but I'll take it home at end of season, because the one I use at home is wooden, with a swing lid which is much harder to manage one-handed.

This one holds a lot of salt and it has a flip up lid for ease of use. I keep this filled with kosher salt for cooking. I just reach in a grab a pinch when I need it. I keep my Maldon Salt in a glass container with an air tight lid that sits on the table for usage.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#20 Rebecca263

Rebecca263
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

We use the sawed off top of a coconut. Even after 6 years or so of use, the surfaces are very nice to the touch.
More Than Salt
Visit Our Cape Coop Blog
Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma
Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

#21 I_call_the_duck

I_call_the_duck
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

Posted Image

View Post

Purty!

I keep my kosher salt in a Morton's salt tin box with a flip lid. It's big enough for Mr. Duck's hand. I just dip right in, but Mr. Duck uses the little wooden spoon.

No pretty container for the sea salt.
Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

#22 LittleLea

LittleLea
  • participating member
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:46 AM

I keep my maldon salt in one of Alton Browns cellars. Works perfectly for me. It gets really humid here so if I were to try to keep it in anything uncovered it would most likely clump.

#23 Bond Girl

Bond Girl
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

I just keep it in a random glass jar with a little caviar spoon in it to keep it clean.
Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

#24 Marigene

Marigene
  • participating member
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:22 PM

I use an old berry bowl that sits on the stove for my kosher salt. That way I can add a pinch when needed.

Posted Image

#25 dhdav66

dhdav66
  • society donor
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

We use a maple salt cellar that we bought from Crate and Barrel. When we're cooking, we just dump some salt into a prep bowl to dip out.

Posted Image
"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." -- Erma Bombeck

#26 annarborfoodie

annarborfoodie
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 08:20 PM

My sister-in-law is a potter. For my birthday this year, I asked her to make a salt cellar for me. She didn't know what that was, so I sent her some links to photos on the web. She came up with this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I love it - I hadn't asked for the spoon, but she decided it needed one. Now she's planning on adding them to her repertoire.

#27 andiesenji

andiesenji
  • society donor
  • 9,414 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 09:13 PM

That is simply adorable. When will they be available?

I "collect" varieties of salt so naturally I need things in which to put them.

Here are a few: The glass one is part of a set of early 1930s kitchen utility glassware that includes ice box/refrigerator dishes, a covered grease jar and round butter plate and cover. I use the little wooden dish when I need to measure small amounts exactly.
The yellow plastic container is an old Tupperware sugar dispenser, which is great for salt too - I have five, all found at yard sales for about 25¢ each. I do have some English pottery salt pigs but they are old and I don't use them.
Posted Image

One of my friends has a wall-mounted salt dispenser that she bought in Denmark (white with "SALT" in blue letters so I assume it is the same in Danish as in English) that is much like a ground coffee dispenser - it has a little detachable cup at the bottom and a lever that dispenses about a tablespoon of salt. I have unsuccessfully tried to find one for my collection.

Edited by andiesenji, 08 July 2007 - 09:54 PM.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett
My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

#28 hummingbirdkiss

hummingbirdkiss
  • participating member
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:59 AM

I have been living in a hole! I never knew there were this many options to put salt in!!!
.. .I keep it in the box/container it comes in on the counter and pour it out into my hand when I need it ... or put it in a tiny dish to serve it on the table and we pinch it out or use a tiny spoon with company..

I think I need to buy a cellar/container or something of some kind now! so I dont feel like a such kitchen heathen!

#29 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

I use a salt pig, and have never noticed any foreign objects in my salt.

I keep a plastic tablespoon in the pig, because seems like my hands are always wet when I need some salt.

No clumping in the salt pig, even with our Missouri humidity.
sparrowgrass

#30 larrylee

larrylee
  • participating member
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:46 AM

Regarding whether or not it's safe to "double dip" in salt...

Keep in mind that salt curing has been used for "a very long time" precisely to kill germs and preserve food. That doesn't mean that we should necessarily be dipping our chicken-y hands into our salt cellars without a thought... for example, using that same salt to season a finished dish before it goes to the table... But I don't think we have to worry about the proliferation of germs within our salt containers.