Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Wybauw Class

Confections

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 dans

dans
  • participating member
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

I took a class with him at Ewald Notter's school in Orlando. Was it worth it? YES!! I learned so much and had a blast. I'm seriously considering taking it again (but I'll probably take Schott's class instead).

Dan

#32 Truffle Guy

Truffle Guy
  • participating member
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

I took a class with him at Ewald Notter's school in Orlando.  Was it worth it?  YES!!  I learned so much and had a blast.  I'm seriously considering taking it again (but I'll probably take Schott's class instead).

Dan

View Post

Same here, took a class at the Notter School. He is a living legend of our industry and one of the nicest people as well. You can learn a lot from the class but if you take questions about your own situation...he is a fountain of knowledge. He makes everything look so effortless...you can learn just watching his movements.

#33 mrose

mrose
  • participating member
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

i attended a course in wieze, and i have to say that i learned a lot. our course was about "new recipes and techniques" but jean pierre told us that he likes to do the "beginners course" a lot more since he has a much more time to explain the theoretical side and go much deeper into detail. concerning the use of tempered chocolate i was under the impression that he thinks its most important to successfully precrystallize the ganache not by necessarily using tempered ganache, but to take the ganache to a point where it begins to crystallize before putting it into a frame. when i did it his way i was able to cut a ganache (NOT a butter ganache) that was only 1 1/2 hours old...
i have made zillions of photos of the session but never really made it to u/l them here yet :-(

cheers

t.

p.s. ...and YES if you have the chance seeing the old man go for it, he well passed his 60st birthday!

View Post

You are right, I did not state that correctly. He wanted the ganache to be tempered as an end result by getting it to start to precrystalize. Then working it to end up with a tempered ganache. But by using tempered chocolate, wouldn't the net result be the same
Mark
www.roseconfections.com

#34 schneich

schneich
  • participating member
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

he had me remove a perfect shiny ganache from a frame, letting it crystallize in the fridge and when it already started to firm up at the edge of the bowl carefully mix it and again put it in a frame, it was cutable an hour later. if i didnt do it, it would have easily taken 24h to crystallize...

usually one of the big rules is that thou shall never mix a ganache once its below 35c or it will split on you. on the other hand there are recipes that you can even whip up. WHAT ingredient or formula makes a ganache tolerate whipping without splitting...

cheers

t.
toertchen toertchen
patissier chocolatier cafe
cologne, germany

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections