Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018


Recommended Posts

For starters, a little thank you to @MetsFan5 for bringing this dish to my attention, clams oreganata.

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.1937d4691f3770911ac59ca41f1026c8.JPG

Rather than simply use the called for combination of  oregano leaves, parsley and garlic, I chose to use a combination of the leaves and blossoms, with the parsley and garlic, which seemed to spike up the flavor and aroma and filled the air with a promise of great flavor when I opened the grill to bring them to the table.

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.83eda84556448c420d79a83132dcf82b.JPG

Tomatoes from the garden, that had been showered with a little salt, herbs and a splash of olive oil made a great side.

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.c93f7c6bb4b1a802bd05dcd0b9151d96.JPG

Yesterday was the farmers market in our little town, and I got some corn there, thinking that I could declare it to be "FCD" (first corn day), but the corn was a disappointment. I think Lake View Farms, which runs an honor system farm stand, does not have enough regular patrons to keep the corn fresh. I got the feeling that the corn I purchased had been picked a few days ago. "FCD" will just have to wait.

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.c3b0c7086ab5c4b907dd7d2709b7b7a8.JPG

Now, back to the clams. We loved them! Because I had used the smallest clams to top the plates of linguine a few nights ago, the only ones I had left were a bit larger than the littlenecks called for. I was afraid they would be a little tough, if I used them whole in the stuffed clams, so I steamed them open and chopped them up before incorporating them into the stuffing and I think that was a good call. Next time, I will try the recipe using the little guys as prescribed.

HC

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.a51712e7fe8ca99594c0e812ff90d03a.JPG

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

For starters, a little thank you to @MetsFan5 for bringing this dish to my attention, clams oreganata.

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.1937d4691f3770911ac59ca41f1026c8.JPG

Rather than simply use the called for combination of  oregano leaves, parsley and garlic, I chose to use a combination of the leaves and blossoms, with the parsley and garlic, which seemed to spike up the flavor and aroma and filled the air with a promise of great flavor when I opened the grill to bring them to the table.

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.83eda84556448c420d79a83132dcf82b.JPG

Tomatoes from the garden, that had been showered with a little salt, herbs and a splash of olive oil made a great side.

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.c93f7c6bb4b1a802bd05dcd0b9151d96.JPG

Yesterday was the farmers market in our little town, and I got some corn there, thinking that I could declare it to be "FCD" (first corn day), but the corn was a disappointment. I think Lake View Farms, which runs an honor system farm stand, does not have enough regular patrons to keep the corn fresh. I got the feeling that the corn I purchased had been picked a few days ago. "FCD" will just have to wait.

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.c3b0c7086ab5c4b907dd7d2709b7b7a8.JPG

Now, back to the clams. We loved them! Because I had used the smallest clams to top the plates of linguine a few nights ago, the only ones I had left were a bit larger than the littlenecks called for. I was afraid they would be a little tough, if I used them whole in the stuffed clams, so I steamed them open and chopped them up before incorporating them into the stuffing and I think that was a good call. Next time, I will try the recipe using the little guys as prescribed.

HC

IMG_1277.thumb.JPG.a51712e7fe8ca99594c0e812ff90d03a.JPG

 

 

 

I am not a clam fan, but I surely would like some of those tomatoes.  They look delicious.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to call this "lazy man's dinner', but then remembered the reason I was being kitchen lazy is because I have been so busy otherwise and will be until the end of the month. Working on setting up a new project. Interesting but tiring.

 

So I got home at 7:30 and quickly threw this together.

 

dinner1.jpg.fe3c01965627edaf0563f93d012e86bb.jpg

 

Pork cutlets brined for about an hour while I had a shower and a beer. Not simultaneously. Fried them with black pepper. Boiled spuds and some nuked asparagus and  baby king oyster mushrooms (Prince mushrooms?) Pleurotus Eryngii to its friends.

 

Here are the mushrooms pre-cooking. They are usually three to four times that size.

 

895252620_princeoysters.thumb.jpg.c40f49332f0ba72029159cb4c30653b1.jpg

  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

dinner1.jpg.fe3c01965627edaf0563f93d012e86bb.jpg

 

Pork cutlets brined for about an hour while I had a shower and a beer. Not simultaneously.

 

.....and why not!?  Shower and a Beer....one of life's beautiful symbiotic relationships!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TicTac said:

.....and why not!?  Shower and a Beer....one of life's beautiful symbiotic relationships!

 

 

Because the beer gets too watered down!

  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites

No recent cooking as I've been out of town for several days due to a death in the family. Did eat dinner with friends a couple of evenings; @rotuts will sympathize with me that I ate stuffed bell peppers -- except I ate the stuffing (which was venison-based and very good) and left the peppers. Another night was ribs, cooked in a smoker and then finished on a hot grill -- very, very good, with perhaps a tad more kick from cayenne than I would prefer. And a slab of absolutely marvelous, moist, strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese ice cream.

 

I did notice the pear tree up home, which has not borne any pears for the last couple of years, is loaded down. There will be much pear preserve making this fall! I guess the old tree (it's near 50 years old) has to rest a couple of years in between big crops. It will be pear harvest time in mid-September.

 

  • Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday is Taiwanese light Bao's for a lighter dinner before hitting the heavy clubbing.....

 

 

 

1- Braised Pork - Peanut Powder - Fermented Greens - Coriander

 

j0Yb6lx.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

2- Confit Pork Belly - Pork Sauce - Dried Shallots

 

79Zou19.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

3-  Panko Braided Daikon - Daikon Pickles - Hot Sauce - Coriander

 

lOUM3rY.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

4- Obligatory Dessert back home......

Fresh Apricot Cheese Cake with a coulis of Mango Alphonso - Passion Fruit and Yuzu

 

2b5iO2f.jpg

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kayb said:

I did notice the pear tree up home, which has not borne any pears for the last couple of years, is loaded down. There will be much pear preserve making this fall! I guess the old tree (it's near 50 years old) has to rest a couple of years in between big crops. It will be pear harvest time in mid-September.

 

 

I had 2 old pear trees and they were so big that I couldn't cull so lots and lots of little guys. My neighbor introduced me to baking the halves with a touch of butter, sugar, and cardomom. A frequent evening treat, They were a tad grainy for out of hand eating

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Who said anything about washing your beer bottle...

 

That little ledge is not actually meant for soap....what were you people thinking, that is a beer rest!!!  ;)

 

 

OR.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kayb said:

No recent cooking as I've been out of town for several days due to a death in the family. Did eat dinner with friends a couple of evenings; @rotuts will sympathize with me that I ate stuffed bell peppers -- except I ate the stuffing (which was venison-based and very good) and left the peppers. Another night was ribs, cooked in a smoker and then finished on a hot grill -- very, very good, with perhaps a tad more kick from cayenne than I would prefer. And a slab of absolutely marvelous, moist, strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese ice cream.

 

I did notice the pear tree up home, which has not borne any pears for the last couple of years, is loaded down. There will be much pear preserve making this fall! I guess the old tree (it's near 50 years old) has to rest a couple of years in between big crops. It will be pear harvest time in mid-September.

 

Kay, I'm sorry for your loss.  Pear trees remind me of my grandparent's farm in NC.  I thought you might like this pear story.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kayb said:

No recent cooking as I've been out of town for several days due to a death in the family. Did eat dinner with friends a couple of evenings; @rotuts will sympathize with me that I ate stuffed bell peppers -- except I ate the stuffing (which was venison-based and very good) and left the peppers. Another night was ribs, cooked in a smoker and then finished on a hot grill -- very, very good, with perhaps a tad more kick from cayenne than I would prefer. And a slab of absolutely marvelous, moist, strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese ice cream.

 

I did notice the pear tree up home, which has not borne any pears for the last couple of years, is loaded down. There will be much pear preserve making this fall! I guess the old tree (it's near 50 years old) has to rest a couple of years in between big crops. It will be pear harvest time in mid-September.

 

Kay, I'm so sorry.  

20 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Baked Eggplant

 

43247588662_0331117b30_b.jpg

YUM

 

 

 

Hot and tired last night.  No word from the air conditioner people.  Have they abandoned us lol.

 

Big ole salad using up some prime rib and fried chicken

 

IMG_4887.JPG.dd02af503c660ea30cd41b93243264e2.JPG

IMG_4888.jpg.d552ca135d8adcadea2961d73d490d38.jpg

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pork picata with mash and roasted radicchio (too bitter for one of us ...just right for the one with a good palate)

008.thumb.jpg.c95bb09da7b35496bc3bc53f323d5ba5.jpg

 

 

 

SV Sirloin and roasted root vegetables

 

015.thumb.jpg.4a6fbfa85b6e382bdf5a3632f494c08b.jpg

 

 

SV Shrimp and  cheese grits with country ham

005.thumb.jpg.f34de51135164a970bd939e7ab932bbd.jpg

 

 

Henry being a bad dog

 

012.thumb.jpg.85f34c544f9098c0e0fc39405e1f4e97.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Pork picata with mash and roasted radicchio (too bitter for one of us ...just right for the one with a good palate)

008.thumb.jpg.c95bb09da7b35496bc3bc53f323d5ba5.jpg

 

 

 

SV Sirloin and roasted root vegetables

 

015.thumb.jpg.4a6fbfa85b6e382bdf5a3632f494c08b.jpg

 

 

SV Shrimp and  cheese grits with country ham

005.thumb.jpg.f34de51135164a970bd939e7ab932bbd.jpg

 

 

Henry being a bad dog

 

012.thumb.jpg.85f34c544f9098c0e0fc39405e1f4e97.jpg

 

I'll take the shrimp with a side of Henry, please.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Pork picata with mash and roasted radicchio (too bitter for one of us ...just right for the one with a good palate)

008.thumb.jpg.c95bb09da7b35496bc3bc53f323d5ba5.jpg

 

 

 

SV Sirloin and roasted root vegetables

 

015.thumb.jpg.4a6fbfa85b6e382bdf5a3632f494c08b.jpg

 

 

SV Shrimp and  cheese grits with country ham

005.thumb.jpg.f34de51135164a970bd939e7ab932bbd.jpg

 

 

Henry being a bad dog

 

012.thumb.jpg.85f34c544f9098c0e0fc39405e1f4e97.jpg

 

Henry just being a dog....and a very handsome dog.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 3, 2018 at 5:55 AM, HungryChris said:

I happened upon these steaks on sale, in the market a few days ago and knew they had to be worked into our schedule, because of the nice marbling. I cooked them on the grill with baked potatoes last night.

HC

IMG_1196.thumb.JPG.c206adc4a6cb9aeb0b3a5e66028d8688.JPGIMG_1198.thumb.JPG.493723da6bcbc5cf347f53a67755a11c.JPG

IMG_1201.thumb.JPG.ea8970135f8c8a89bb4b251d3fe7405f.JPG

 

Prime in choice clothing

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...