• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Norm Matthews  Happy birthday to you.  Your avatar reminds me of a birthday card I once bought for a friend of mine.   The picture was, I think, the same.   I can't remember the exact wording but it went something like: Whoa ma'am!  Just how fast were you going when you went over that hill?😄

Thanks ElsieD.  That avatar is a picture of a card I got that said almost the same thing. It says WHOA, do you know how fast you went over that hill? or words to that effect.

• Like 1

Project "Cooking in hot weather" has commenced :laugh:

I SV'd a turkey breast and then Ronnie smoked it yesterday morning.  Potato salad made with leftover taters.  All I had to do last night is hard boil the eggs (in the IP so very little heat was added to the kitchen)

IMG_4928.jpg.1448f7902edeadea7e42b64006e774e8.jpg

IMG_4929.JPG.267c4b330ff6bc2ea956f1ca5e0d8d58.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG.20d1ee55ee0056fd2adfee0c634de566.JPG

• Like 16

I don't know what I had for dinner.

I mean, I know it is fish and chips, but not what kind of fish. I know the Chinese name, 白花鱼 (bái huā yú, literally 'white flower fish' ) but attempts to Google it just send me to other species and no English names.

It is about the same size as a sea bass and with similar white flesh, but firmer in texture.

fish.thumb.jpg.aa6ca8d7f416bc22cf03993a2cd1c105.jpg

Anyway they make for a fine F+C fish, after cleaning and filleting.

fish1.thumb.jpg.4798f095871bc27a253eefc0b91e3a94.jpg

I vaguely thought of doing some mushy peas to perfect the dish, but they don't have the requisite marrowfat peas here. Then I thought of using edamame, but sense prevailed and I ate the edamame as a starter.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Wow, you are too kind.

You do.  Also the battered crust on your fish is perfect.  Hope the fish was good enough for it's garment!

@HungryChris – I am also NOT tired of your linguine with clam sauce!  I grew up on this – alas, the Progresso version.  With extra clams it isn’t bad, but doesn’t compare to what I’ve had in restaurants made with fresh clams.  Yours looks gorgeous – those fat clams and that wonderful looking sauce.  I made an interesting discovery the last time I had it.  One of the problems with the dish is the very thin sauce.  I’ve resorted to alternating spoon and fork and also just ending up eating as much bread as pasta.  I can’t eat an entire restaurant portion, so I took half home with me.  The next day, I discovered that the pasta had soaked up the sauce.  It was amazing.  Just soft, slippery CLAMMY noodles and whole clams.  I’ve decided that I need to do this by design – order the dish one night and eat it for dinner the next. 😋

@CantCookStillTry – your katsu looks delicious!  The crust is perfect.

@Norm Matthews – Happy Birthday!

@robirdstx – that broccoli salad is one of my favorites.  How does it taste as good as it does???  One of those greater than the sum of it’s parts things, I guess.

@Shelby – I nominate you and hungrychris for best looking sandwiches on eG.

Dinner last night was my first attempt at sous vide.  I decided to try a boneless pork loin.  It was not an unqualified success. I set it for 135.5F and when I took it out after 3 hours, the meat temped at 130F. I ended up roasting it in the oven for a while:

DSCN8426.thumb.JPG.721a688824f7afea38e7c27be63adc86.JPG

Sliced:

DSCN8427.JPG.3d9c66db5f5845422521d1aa53f4ee95.JPG

It was really good.  Incredibly moist and porky. 

Still searching for a sauce for this. I used a cream/Marsala/Dijon sauce that I found on the internet and didn’t care for it at all:

DSCN8429.JPG.08972a46509d28576386ee1bce6dc5bc.JPG

Served with lemon/butter broccoli:

DSCN8428.JPG.97f97600757924e70986ac0031161be3.JPG

And Ukrops’ Duchess potatoes:

DSCN8430.JPG.06f62ad07fad02de4456ddcbccec0546.JPG

Impossibly smooth and rich.  All they need is a little butter.  This is the brand that Richmond VA wouldn’t let die.  Ukrops was a very successful local grocery store chain that was open from 1937 to 2010.  They had wonderful bakeries and prepared foods sections.  They never sold alcohol and were closed on Sundays – the older stores had murals on the back walls with pictures of a Dick and Jane family going into a church with the words, “See you in church on Sunday”.  When the family decided to close, they sold to Martin’s, but smartly kept their off-site kitchens open and Martin’s continued to sell Ukrops’ bakery and prepared food items.  Recently Martin’s closed in this area and we are slowly getting Publix replacements.  The rest of the major stores in the area (Kroger, Food Lion, Publix and Walmart) have now started carrying items from the Ukrops kitchens.  And old and new line Richmonders couldn’t be happier. 

Also put out some gougères from the freezer:

DSCN8431.JPG.95a20013a1463a4322175c28733bd734.JPG

Dessert was strawberry cupcakes from Ukrops bakery, naturally.  No photo – they got scarfed up too quick.  They are one of the best cupcakes in town and cheap as they come.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Would you share your method?

Of course, though it isn't my method.

That particular lot were double fried. I do usually triple cook them à la Heston, but it  was late and I was in more of a hurry to eat.

I chip the spud(s), then soak in ice cold water for a while (up to an hour - these had about half an hour) then carefully dry them. Heat oil to 120ºC/248ºF, maintain that temperature as best as possible and fry chips until just beginning to colour. Drain and let cool.

I then do the fish or whatever is to accompany the chips and let it rest.

Reheat oil to 180ºC/356ºF and reintroduce the chips. Fry until suitably golden. It doesn't take long. 

Drain then eat.

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

You do.  Also the battered crust on your fish is perfect.  Hope the fish was good enough for it's garment!

Thank you! The fish was more than good enough.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I didn't want to cook today either but I've just finished firing up two ovens to bake a baguette and a boule.  My lunch at work today will thank me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's Tuesday................................. Carvery Gluttony

- Always start a Tuesday with a Gin and Tonic (Gordon's)

zB0zKBj.jpg

- A big and fat Gammon Ham

ZNHYlyb.jpg

- A big and fat Beef Roast

04NSVAm.jpg

- My beautiful wife's plate

0dfqAns.jpg

- My small Plate including the kitchen sink

Double Yorkshire Pudding with Gravy - Roast Potatoes - Mushy Peas - Butternut Squash - Cauliflower Gratin - Rotkohl (Red Cabbage) - Carrots

Gammon Ham and Roast Beef buried under the veggies.

N33ZMXY.jpg

...............and of course Dessert.............................. Apple Crumble with a bath of warm creamy and lip'smacking delightful English Custard

UfjmR96.jpg

......... In the meantime ..............Colin was busy chasing Charlie

trUrjfF.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 1

@Nicolai

WoW !

you do know how to LiveLarge

Unfortunately , Your Plate did not make it on the thread !

I do like seeing that Colin and Charlie arevhaving such a good time

those YP's look stunning !

cheers !

• Like 1

OK

maybe I might Micro something from TJ's

as its hot here

of course 

personal Fluid Balance and Hydration Rx are very very important

BTW :

SP.jpg.7bc2d3bd39c36ab40c2d318b49e742c9.jpg

this might be the butternut squash ?

looks crispy

nice

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

OK

maybe I might Micro something from TJ's

as its hot here

of course 

personal Fluid Balance and Hydration Rx are very very important

BTW :

SP.jpg.7bc2d3bd39c36ab40c2d318b49e742c9.jpg

this might be the butternut squash ?

looks crispy

nice

Yes. These are the Butternut Squash..................roasted crispy on the outside and soft inside.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Did Grilled Fajitas --Beef skirt/ yellow and green zucchini/ swiss chard stems/hatch big jim green chilis  garlic /celery/ onions/ cherry tomato's  -- I marinated the veg two days in a adobo seasoning drained the juice liquid, cooked the beef then added veg/ red chili powder and a bit of tomato sauce

42527353035_cf3456d0d7_b.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels